Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Installation

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 22:35
If I made a game and burnt it to a disk, how could I write a program which would install it for the user. I know how to make such a program auto run but how would you write a program which saves an executable to someones computer from a disk when they clicked install? Also how would you make it send a shortcut to the desktop automatically?

Help would be much appreciated.
The Wilderbeast
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 22:45
You would have all of the necessary game files in a folder on the disc. Then the installer is run then it would simply copy this folder onto the HDD. Same for the desktop icon, just have the shortcut on the disc then copy it to the user's Desktop.

Being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 09:20
Thanks Wilderbeast.

What I'm wondering though is how you create the installer. Are there any commands which allow you to copy folders from a disk to a hard drive?

Thanks for your help.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 14:49
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 23:35
Check the DBPro help files. I believe this command is what you're looking for:

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2008 21:47
Thanks for the suggestions. Will Copy File copy folders as well or will every file have to be moved individually?

Thanks for your help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:16:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:16:56