Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I want to host my website at home. I know you can, do you know how?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 16:31
Yep, I wanna host the ol Neo Wolf Games Software Development Team's website at a home server, yet I have no idea how. Could someone explain this for me. Please? Thanks
[url=http://www.neowolfgames.tk]]http://www.angelfire.com/ex/animezonex0/NeoWolfGamesBaner.JPG[/img]
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 16:36
uh im geussing you would have to have your own internet company, most isp's will give u your own webspace on their servers to upload to, but as for hosting off your machine that'd mean youd have to have it on all the time if you want it accessible all day long.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 16:58
I know I would need it on all day long. I just need to know how.

[url=http://www.neowolfgames.tk]]
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 17:09 Edited at: 30th Jul 2003 17:11
You need to download and install a webserver, a couple good, free ones are Apache or for the less-technically advanced Xitami.

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/apache.shtml will teach you how to setup Apache for Windows and Xitami is very self-explanatory (basically just download and run the installer from http://www.xitami.com/).

If you want to be able to run all those fancy scripting languages such as PHP, MySQL and everything else then you also need to download them from their websites (http://www.php.net and http://www.mysql.com/ respectively).

Make sure to refer to the readme's and help files to do it all properly because one mistake can mean starting all over again. Good luck.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 17:13
You'd need a comp set up as a webserver, probably using Linux or Windows NT, and you'd have to have it connected to the internet with always-on broadband connection.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 17:15
You beat me to it Exeat
Seems to happen to me a lot lately...

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 17:37
You will probably need to sign upto a dynamic DNS company and point your domain name there becuase with ADSL you get different IP addresses all the time. If you can get a static IP address, it is much easier and cheaper.

The programmer formerly known as sonic
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 17:48
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Thanks Spooky.

You also need to sign up for a Domain Name (usually around $10 per year) and assign it to the IP you're using otherwise people can only access your website by typing in something like: 128.56.78.07

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 18:07
As for IPs: http://www.no-ip.com

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 19:52
UH-OH...that no-IP is giving me an idea...i am getting cable...and a Server from my work...ok...WHO WANTS FREE MMORPG HOSTING...Or our special plus version...lol...contact me via e-mail or YIM...i am gonna do it for my MMORPG...so maybe (what is his name) will be eating his own arse...

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 20:09
can I do this stuff with Phone Line DSL?

Will I still be able to surf the net on my computer while it's running as my server? Should I buy a new server?

[url=http://www.neowolfgames.tk]]
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 20:28
Yes.
Yes but more slowly.
Yes once you've seen that it's worthwhile.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Meh, I'm helping him on AIM..Never ph33r, I am here

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 20:49
you gotta hate moms that have complete power over a household. She says I cant host a server at home . That stinks, looks like I gotta keep my angelfire site for now

[url="http://www.neowolfgames.tk"][/url]
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 21:54
Make her give you three good reasons why she can stop you from running a server. Then list three good reasons on why you should have a server at home.

(I'll help get you started)
1.) Full Access
2.) Total Control
3.) Flexibility
4.) You'd have unlimited space
5.) No monthly fees to worry about.(except electricity costs, don't mention that though.)

Alright maybe not the best reasons, but it'll at least sound like you can support your arguement.

Jenny: New Recruit to Police Force Jacob: Jenny's Associate
Problem? You may soon find out. "It could take the world."
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 22:20
I might add you will be required to purchase a commercail broadband connection for this to be legal...and that can be $$$...can be...i dont know...i faced this problem 5 minute ago and still await the answer...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 22:30
Thats alot. Maybe I should just stick with angelfire for now, then maybe move to a different webhost when needed.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 22:35
yeah, and remember you need a good upload speed.

say if you have a "2 meg ADSL line", that only suggests it is 2 meg downstream. Usually ISP's would only offer 256k upstream for this connection, unless its commercial then they will give more.

and also, never try hosting off a Windows 9x system It'll never work. Linux would be the best solution, but if you have no idea how to setup linux and cant be bothered to learn, then use Windows NT4/2k/XP-Pro.

...::::ShockForge::::...
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2003 22:46
just use a server version of one of those...im sure you can find one...

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
you don't have to pay that crap unless you host other ppl

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 00:46
And if you host other people, you make them charge. It all balances out.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline

He is on 56k He needs one of those programs that tells the website whereh is IP is for a domain or w/e

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 03:41
Yes, I'm on a pitiful 56k. Getting a wireless router soon, so my mom will share her DSL with me

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Your telling me your mom has DSL while you have 56k? Good god man, SHE TORTURES YOU!

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 07:20
ya, does she hang you by your toenails also???

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 07:43
no, but I'm getting a wireless router soon. and she's paying for it too. so there is a good part about this deal

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 08:49
lol, I got crazy parents that are obsessed with "you must study^9999"
and really want to get me off the comp...I can't understand(goddamn lectures that don't say anything new)...anyway, I believe what I'm doing on the comp is more helpful then school(most / all that school "teaches" you is going to be useless->

Dreamers-Scars Angel Tears
Timewaster to the max
3d modelling is my new best "FRIEND"
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 21:11
You really are in a bad way with school.

"I got crazy parents" should be "I have crazy parents"; one implies receipt while the other implies possession.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2003 21:29 Edited at: 31st Jul 2003 21:32
I would like to say that you need to check the agreement of your DSL provider if you want to host a server because alot of them wont allow you to do that, i know that RoadRunner will, Adelphi and Verizon won't(yes, i realize 2 of these are cable) but Verizons Policy may have changed since so i would check, the other 2 i am sure will stick to that for now...and you can't charge them for it on a residential connection...though i am sure you meant the comercial line yellow...of course if the agreement doesn't say a clear NO SERVERS than you can assume(defenitly) as long as it doesnt break ou of they're UPSTREAM/DOWNSTREAM limits...also you will need to configure the DNS to only use the HTTP ports on the Router because its required that the connection is secured...and this can cause problems if you have other computers on the network because they may be restricted if they dont use the correct Router Proxy and port...

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 02:48
Quote: "
You really are in a bad way with school.

"I got crazy parents" should be "I have crazy parents"; one implies receipt while the other implies possession.
"

If he's been adopted...

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 21:33
Good news, my mom is considering letting me get my own server. Now all I need is a new tower, and a static IP.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 01:28

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 09:13
Have you thought about buying an old system?

With a Linux distro, you could slap together a tolerable server for under 60 bucks (if you watch eBay really closely, and never go above a set mark no matter how bad you want the machine). That includes shipping (IMHO).

I even got a machine once that had 128 Mb RAM for $50. 6.4 Gb HD and a CD-ROM -- everything you will ever need for a small website. Plus, they all have network cards (nobody wastes the effort to remove them).

Slap a junky old monitor on it (usually won't run above 640x480), and you have all the machine you need. May or may not need a mouse, keyboard, etc.

Do all your pages on your main Windows machine, then burn them to disc and move them your server.

May have to do some CGI on the Linux machine, but that's all. Really, Perl would be better, since you could run it on Windows as a test server, and the reasonably expect to move it to Linux.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 10:07
id ditch perl and install php.

perl the language is so clumsy compared to php and less mind taxing with syntax.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 13:40
Agreed, and who the hell in their right mind would make a language that returns syntax errors whenever you use a capital letter? Damn Perl.

Quote: "Slap a junky old monitor on it (usually won't run above 640x480), and you have all the machine you need."

My server doesn't even have a monitor lol

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 17:37
uhh...use DNS for your staic IP needs...and well its like 30$ a year as opposed to 500$ for a static IP...make sure your ISP will allow you to host a web server on there line or you will get and i quote "your violating the fucking AUP" letter...and hey if u wanna pay some shipping i will send you a server i got em all around me now they are older than whats new...if that made sense but they will do the trick...i work for a indexing system company...COTT Systems...look it up...i can get a server tower pc thing, or whatever by walking in a room going got a server, and Ron will hand me one...we even got a bunch of 918XL 3000 if any of you remember those...lol

Yeah my server doesnt have a monitor either does my Pc...i use a tv...

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2003 09:42
indi make a worthy point. I was taught to speak of Perl and PHP in the same breath.

Really, if it's your server, you may even want to take the time to compile your own CGIs. After all, what's the fun of your own server if you do stuff (PHP, ASP, etc.) that can be hosted elsewhere.

On the other hand, rigging up some jobbie with C++ or VB or pretty much anything else that supports env variables, that's the real fun of it.

If you piddle with C++ CGIs, don;t get too frisky until you get your coding under control -- C++ CGIs are giant, gaping security holes until you can do them right. There are a few tutorials round the net, I recall.

But, if you want to keep it simple, follow indi's suggestion, and use PHP. Lot of open source for it, too.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2003 10:12
I did perl for years and hated its syntax. I found it clunky and obscure not to mention security flawed.

I did cgi with perl only and had a breif look at C/C++ with CGI, the gdlib set that allowed graphical charts and so forth was an interesting aspect.

but php ownz!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:58