Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo] Traveling Seed Pod

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, this is my thread for my NaGaCreMo 09 resolution. At the moment, I'm calling it "Adventures of a Traveling Seed Pod", or TSP, until I figure out a better name. Also, I'm by no means a good programmer, my main skill set is art-centric. So, bear with me while I learn this stuff

About the game:
The game is set in a dark, underground tunnel system, filled with flora and fauna which have evolved to live in such conditions, forming a rich and interconnected ecosystem. The main goal of the game is to maneuver your seed pod to areas of fertile ground, while avoiding predatory creatures.
So far, the world is largely a work in progress

Controls:
WASD Move
mouse to turn camera

Screen: screenshot

*Concept art and more info to follow*

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 14:03
Hey, looks interesting. For now the controls are a bit dificult - trying to stop the seed pod by pressing a different directional button only seemed to result in it continuing to move forward, so I had to let go of one button, wait a second, and then press another button. Same goes for the "mouse control", the seed pod didn't seem to respond to changing the angle of the camera while holding a button. Once again, I had to release it, change the angle, and then press the forward button again. So the controls might need some work.

Else than that, this looks like it can become an interesting game. Looking forward to seeing more.

Years of Service
User Offline
Really? That's odd, but I'll look into it. Right now, it may seem unresponsive because of how slow and latent the controls actually are.. which is what I'm trying to fix atm. Thanks for the input.

Also, I forgot to mention that this uses the PhysX plugin, so make sure you have the latest physX drivers Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, little bit of an update:
I changed out how the pod is actual controlled: it no longer is propelled by forces, instead it works by changing the angular velocity. This fixes a lot of the latency and feel, but introduces some new issues as well, like the fact that there is no acceleration now. that shouldn't be hard to add.

What will be though is adding in other forces acting on the pod, as I'm constantly changing the angular velocity, it negates the effect of other forces... I think. any thoughts would be helpful.

I'm also working on a slew of shaders to start applying to the world, as well as a new, more snazzy test level using said shaders. that'll be done after i get this movement down though.

Update included in post

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:31:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:31:44