Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Fallen 2020

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 20:42 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 16:46
Fallen 2020
"The world didn't fall with a bang, or a whimper... it went with a scream"

Please replace your sigs with the following banner, i can update it in future without having to get u all to update again. This is the official banner

Latest screenshot (still placeholder)

Fallen 2020 has merged with the ONE/UberEngine project

For updates, screenshots and more info please visit [url]www.fallen2020.com[/url] and join up on the forums, let your opinion be heard and vote on impotent aspects of the game (such as the name for the city)

Storyline...
The following WILL be reworded and/or changed a bit, I am really bad at wording things

The government has wanted to create a New World Order for generations, each time failing, the people wanted individuality not conformity. The government has made many attempts in the past to implement a New World Order. Now in the last 50 years the creation of the European Union and American Union are steps closer to the New World Order. The next step was for population control, with the world far over populated the government planned to create a virus known as I27, they were planning on putting it into the water supplies and very slowly thinning out the population. But something went wrong and one of the government agents working for the project was accentually and unknowingly exposed to the virus, he lived and worked in New York City, this is where the Insanity Virus was born...

In 2013 a viral infected known as the Insanity Virus broke out in New York City, USA. Shortly after the effects were discovered parts of New York were quarantined but it was to late, the virus was spread through contact with the infected and contaminated objects, it quickly spread around America, most countries closed their borders but the infected spread fast. Before the virus got to Russia, Russia had launched nuclear attacks on America in an attempt to wipe out the virus, this only led to more destruction and before any of America's allies could retaliate the virus had spread to far.

The virus slowly eats away at the brain tissue causing the patient to slowly lose their mind, sometimes the virus stops, leaving the patient completely insane and sometimes it carries on until the patient is dead, symptoms include rashes, delusions, extreme paranoia, dementia, auditory and visual hallucinations and unexpected psychotic episodes. This effects each patient differently, some are aware of there impending death while others want to carry out there sickest and darkest desires and dreams before they die or lose there mind. The I-Virus infected some patients so little that they were able to continue there existence relatively normally.

Once the I-Virus has had its affect leaving the patient completely insane only there most basic human instincts and some garbled memories are left intact, resulting in cannibalism, the sickest darkest thoughts of the mind and the patient often talking to themselves, screaming, vomiting, attempting to either eat anything due to hunger (sometimes even themselves)

The I-Virus rendered most of the worlds population completely insane and/or dead (about 90%) leaving the survivors to fight for survival.
Some people thought all the food left in the shops would last generations, they were wrong, the greedy had raided most of the stores and warehouses containing food, leaving who ever was left to eat what was left, soon eating animals then each other. Here The Raiders, The Survivors and The Loners were the main 3 groups of survivors left

Main Groups
The Raiders are a vicious group of people, they will kill for food and water, they don't care who they hurt and they also are known for taking drugs, drinking, fighting, having sex and living for the moment.

The Survivors are people who want to try to rebuild a better life for their children, they want a peaceful life, they are known also to drink and take a few drugs, not all do this. there are various different groups, each with their own rules, some are interconnected

The Loners are people who survive on their own, they very rarely make contact with others, although some do form into very small groups, there are different types of loners, some nice and just want to get by, some are nasty, some are even murderers, cultists, etc

There are roomers floating around that the government had built a place called U.R.C. (Underground Restoration Centre) and that impotent people were put down there as news of the virus had leaked out, people have disappeared and/or been killed looking for it. What is true is that there are remains of the Government hiding out in hidden bunkers (1 or 2 of these can be hidden in the country side). The government has been building mechanoid like machines and vehicles, 1 or 2 of these have been spotted being tested in a secured area in the country far from the city. Obviously everyone wants to get there hands on one of these great machines, and one of the Survivor groups has even started trying to build there own.

Now you come out from hiding underground with the group of people you have been surviving with the last few years (this is where the player can make their avatar, run through some tutorials and get used to the game), once you have left the starting area you are free to chose your path, what will you be? a murderer? a raider? survivor? loner? builder? occultist?, that choice is yours to make. Each player gets ONE character so chose your path carefully as it might not be so easy to change your mind later (although not imposable)

Your mod has been erased by a signature
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 23:43
Looks like fallout 3!

Good work, looks nice

3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Visit my youtube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/bergice1
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 00:45
Quote: "Looks like fallout 3!"

That's exactly what I thought.. and maybe a bit like Half Life 2. The concept arts also look promising.
I have to admit that I was to lazy to read the first post.. Hopefully I can manage do it later and tell you anything more constructive.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 01:47
Wow...

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 01:56
This looks very awesome. I love the Half Life 2/Chernobyl look you're going for here. My only little niggle is that those houses in screen one could do with a tad more texture variation, nothing too drastic, just a graffiti stain here and there and stuff like that...

I have to say though, this looks awesome...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 07:37
From first impressions, it looks good. Good luck with it, I'll keep my eye on it.

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 07:57
Quote: "This looks very awesome. I love the Half Life 2/Chernobyl look you're going for here. My only little niggle is that those houses in screen one could do with a tad more texture variation, nothing too drastic, just a graffiti stain here and there and stuff like that...

I have to say though, this looks awesome..."

There will be a tun more variation as well as some of the houses being burnt, remember those are only placeholders

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 09:50
Quote: "please note that these are only placeholder graphics while i get the real stuff done. all work & textures you see is my own..."

Woa...
These are only placeholders? I wanna see the finished game

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 09:57
I feel proud, a forum legend posted in a game what im helping make , oh and yes these are only place holders to test various modeling techniques and our previous engine of choice.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 14:23
Quote: "remember those are only placeholders"

Whoa, I'm with Sven, I can't wait to see the finished product!

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 22:11
he he thanks CG. Its nice having a ton of the big apollo guys saying good stuff

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 22:23
I'm not a big Apollo guy though...

Quantum Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 00:15
Wow, I'm impressed!

Is this using DBPro? Or using GDK/GDK.Net?

Dual-Core Pentium D @ 3.00GHz, 1.0 GB nVidia GeForce 8500 GT, 20" Wide screen LCD @ 10,000:1 Contrast, 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Triple-boot: 32-bit Windows XP MCE, 64-bit Vista, 64-bit Linux Ubuntu
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 02:33
DBPro.
CoffeeGrunt, I know you from FPSC same like I know alucard from modeling section. But still, everyone knows who you are

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 02:46
Lol, I wouldn't really say that...

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 02:59
Wow. This looks very promising. Very very promising. Can't see what gets made out of it.

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 05:25
This looks amazing guys. Great job guys.

Vorg1

Check out Urban Soldier:Requiem
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 05:38
Looks impressive, and I read the story.

I'm not going to sign up on your forums (at least not yet), but what kind of game is this, I assume a mog, or an mmog, probably an fps rpg like Fallout. Whatever it is though, it's very clearly ambitious, and I wish you the best of luck. It will take a huge amount of determination to see this project through.

I would recommend making some alterations to the story though, as you have some major plot holes. Mainly that the virus has done nothing to effect food and water sources, which are quite abundant. I find it hard to believe that the remaining populous couldn't go back to getting their own food from the wild, which seems to be the case, or otherwise for some reason all the places food and water come from have mysteriously disappeared. In Fallout the reason is radiation. What's yours?

And that leads me to my next point. You've set up a perfectly fine post apocalypse/zombie story, but you seem to be trying to make it Fallout. My issue with this is that the was no Nuclear war, this only effected humans. The environment should be fine, and I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard to find somewhere away from the crazies and raiders to set up a protected town near a river and a forest.

And there are already ways of thinning the population through the water supply, much safer. India tried it with putting birth control in the water, and only failed because they got caught. And the world could always be like China, and limit the number of children parents can have. Then of course war is an excellent way to reduce population. The government in this story sounds pretty dumb to be honest.

And I'm tired of the idea that humanity overstepped its bounds in some way. The post apocalyptic category is extremely overused, but I wouldn't mind with some good reasoning and some proper cause and effect.

I'd go on and try and explain better, but I am rather tired unfortunately.

I'm am quite interested to see how this goes though, and even as placeholders I get a good since of what the game will look like environment wise. You guys've got potential, now show and explain to us the gameplay. That's usually more important, and can withstand changes to the story.

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 11:22
Quote: "Looks impressive, and I read the story.

I'm not going to sign up on your forums (at least not yet), but what kind of game is this, I assume a mog, or an mmog, probably an fps rpg like Fallout. Whatever it is though, it's very clearly ambitious, and I wish you the best of luck. It will take a huge amount of determination to see this project through.

I would recommend making some alterations to the story though, as you have some major plot holes. Mainly that the virus has done nothing to effect food and water sources, which are quite abundant. I find it hard to believe that the remaining populous couldn't go back to getting their own food from the wild, which seems to be the case, or otherwise for some reason all the places food and water come from have mysteriously disappeared. In Fallout the reason is radiation. What's yours?

And that leads me to my next point. You've set up a perfectly fine post apocalypse/zombie story, but you seem to be trying to make it Fallout. My issue with this is that the was no Nuclear war, this only effected humans. The environment should be fine, and I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard to find somewhere away from the crazies and raiders to set up a protected town near a river and a forest.

And there are already ways of thinning the population through the water supply, much safer. India tried it with putting birth control in the water, and only failed because they got caught. And the world could always be like China, and limit the number of children parents can have. Then of course war is an excellent way to reduce population. The government in this story sounds pretty dumb to be honest.

And I'm tired of the idea that humanity overstepped its bounds in some way. The post apocalyptic category is extremely overused, but I wouldn't mind with some good reasoning and some proper cause and effect.

I'd go on and try and explain better, but I am rather tired unfortunately.

I'm am quite interested to see how this goes though, and even as placeholders I get a good since of what the game will look like environment wise. You guys've got potential, now show and explain to us the gameplay. That's usually more important, and can withstand changes to the story."

a lot of changes will come of the storyline, mine is only there to act as a base storyline, it will be totally re-worded professionally and a few bits of it will change, eg the virus etc

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 14:35
Hey Chaos!

I thought I should return the courtesy of you looking at my thread by checking your's out!

The level design is looking nice, CGtextures is getting used well I see! I have to admit I'm slighty confused, you've built these great scenes, why would you possibly need to borrow ideas from my editor?

It's looking great though!

Like Bizar Guy, I would like to know more about the gameplay!

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 15:01
Because those scenes are compiled into 1 .x object in 3DSMax,

the world will be about 3 miles by 2 miles big and as such we are going to make the world from separate LOD meshes. the idea's are just the way it is laid out as were a bit stuck on how we should lay it out and the workings

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 16:13
Ah, that's how I used to make my levels, but it's not so good is it?! It ends up being very hard to assign different materials (like wood and metal) to different elements.

Anyway, I'd advise you make a list of everything you want the game to do, not just object placement, but and paste etc, but like objective points and all that, and then make sure that anything that will happen in your game code can be setup in the editor. It's what I'm doing, and although it's really long in the end it makes everything much easier!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 17:16 Edited at: 4th Jan 2009 17:19
Will it be possible to make the mesh into limbs? I can apply different textures/shaders to different limbs. Ill code the editor to make different materials different limbs anyway.

This is going to have many features of UberEngine, so the gameplay will be very similar what it is in ONE. Ive posted some videos and demos of that last month.

EDIT: ONE thread

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 18:04
We won't be using cubes or any other primitives in Fallen 2020, All models will be external meshes or terrain, the only primitive based objects will be trigger zones, collision boxes and other invisible stuff.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 20:01
Not even they will be primitives.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 23:07
http://www.fallen2020.com/pbpbb3/download/file.php?id=10&t=1 A piece of wanderer concept art.
Quote: "a wanderer type character. Traveling light so as able to avoid Raiders and Infected. Armed with a crowbar and possibly a knife of some sort with a couple of gym bags with supplies."

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 16:53
Wow, that looks great!

Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:03
The textures look astonishing, everything looks very realistic. Good job The thing that I dislike most is grass.
Homey the Clown
Years of Service
User Offline
this seems like a really ambitious project but the graphics seem to back up your experience. best of luck.

If at first you dont succeed, call it version 1.0.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 23:24
The few fans of my FPS creator project, Izolis will be happy to know that I may be helping out with World design in this game...

I'm also writing up an improved storyline, so I hope it'll please you all...

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 23:32
Top notch graphics I cant wait to see some ingame footage.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 00:48
Alright guys, it just gets creepier and creepier. Heres a Infected.
http://www.fallen2020.com/pbpbb3/download/file.php?id=12&t=1

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 01:31
CG _ CoffeeGrunt wrote: "The few fans of my FPS creator project, Izolis will be happy to know that I may be helping out with World design in this game...

I'm also writing up an improved storyline, so I hope it'll please you all... "

I have just assigned you to design a nightclub, inside and out, check forums.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 03:41
This looks really impressive guys =] Keep it up.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 08:23
Thanks, we shall

Progressive new
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

it looks good

Good work

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 18:11
Hey guys, I thought I should show some work on the Mech side of things, so here you go

Hey guys, for those non believers we thought we would show that we still have stuff going on the Mech side of things, heres the models with normal and spec, the two base mechs.
The larger is a Battle Mech the smaller a Scouting Mech

The mech was rendered in directx 9.0, with normal maps and specular maps.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 18:17
Wow, very nice job on the mechs, looking great.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 19:03
Very nice models. How many polys on the mechs?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 19:18
Awesome job on the mechs. I don`t quite like the length of the bottom part of the blue ones legs... If you would add some vents and pipes it would look fantastic! (Not that it doesn`t already look fantastic... )

TheComet

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 20:44
Yes, very nice job. I would also like to know the polly count. Still would like to hear about the gameplay though, that is what would really get me interested in this project.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:33 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 22:34
The models are about 8000 polys each. We will being using a lower LOD detail of about 5000 polys for the game though.

The gameplay will be similar to the gameplay of ONE except it will have a few extra features added.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 07:18
8000 hmm.. I hope you can handle that.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 08:11
Like Kae said, they will be 5k ingame as you would view them or lower when they are at a distance. LOD4, LOD3, LOD2.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 15:49
Sounds good to me, especially as I don't imagine there'd be more than 3-4 or so ever on screen at once. I gather most of this game is on foot.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 17:16
Indeed, or in other vehicles which will be lower poly.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 19:27
Quote: "I have just assigned you to design a nightclub, inside and out, check forums."

Yup, replied...

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 16:39 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 16:39
Please replace your sigs with the following banner, i can update it in future without having to get u all to update again. This is the official banner

New screenshot:

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 16:48 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 16:49
Testing the sig.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:33:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:33:58