Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Do I dare?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay.

I'm new. I'm REALLY new. My passion is creating games, and it has been since I was 6, playing DnD with myself until I finally had siblings to test my campaigns on. I discovered Rpg Maker a few years ago and haven't closed the program since the day I got it. I can write, draw, and think my way into or out of any problem I've ever come across when it comes to logical game thinking. On top of that, I've got thousands of huge ideas for commercial possible games just eating to get out and be made.

However; my problem is this. I have the passion, the creativity, and the drive for this. But I don't know how to program yet. I've taken one semester in C++ from Westwood College, and quit due to money and other problems, but other than that... I don't know anything beyond the hello world and basic commands. I have all my books from college, and I have no problem reading them, but I don't even know if C++ will help me when it comes to this program.

I'm considering buying the DarkGame Studio program for $90. I've never created anything in 3d before, and my art experience is limited to detailed concept drawings using a Wacom tablet.

What I need to know, is... am I wasting my time and money here? What exactly is it going to take for me to do this? College is out of the question right now, and I'd rather not spend a hundred thousand dollars to learn something I could create on my own.

Oh. And this game will eventually be an Orpg. Which I already know probably doubles my difficulty.

Thanks.
May0naise
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 00:55
Well i know how you feel, I've wanted to make my own games since i was around that age too. I actually just got DarkGame Studio at christmas. It is a great deal, because they have Catrography shop, for map making. Characters and models and such , and DarkBasicPro, or DarkGDk if you want to continue with C. Im a relativelty new programmer too, but in the last 2 weeks ive learned alot, and DG studio has helped, because i can make a game i want, and if i need to i can just make my own characters.

I dont think your wasting your money, if you want to do this, you can look at the tutorials on the website, and if they dont have everything you need, you can always post and ask for specific help. as for an Orpg...i think you can make one, but like i said im pretty new as well.

Hope I helped,

May0

Be patient....everything takes time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:28:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:28:57