Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Solar System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 20:49
Hey there - just for kicks, I put together a solar system generator.

It makes a sun, then randomly generates planet sizes and orbit sizes. The closer a planet is to the centre of its orbit, the faster it goes.

I know it's not flashy and that the planets often collide without any side effects, but rather than fixing that I'd like to focus on making this more of an iterative formula. So that you can have moon systems around planets - and then moons of moons, and so on.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2009 22:21
Double post - but since this is technically an update I think it's alright.

The solar system now has fractal moons, for want of a better expression. For example: let's say you build a solar system with 3 planets. Each of those planets will have 3 moons - and each of those moons will have 3 moons - and so on.

In theory this could go on forever, I think. You can set the number of planets and the number of moons now at the start. Typing "0" for the number of moons results in only planets being generated (as opposed to just having a sun there). So typing "2" for the number of moons will generate the sun, planets, moons and moons of moons.

If a planet (or moon) has a size of less than 2, a dot is drawn on screen where it should be.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2009 02:17
Hi,
excellent work.

Maybe you should put to specify the number of moons or the number of moons for each planet.

Fractals are charming, aren't they?
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2009 21:46
Thats pretty nice!

Theres so many possibilities with something like this...

Have you any more plans for this?

visual dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 00:22
that was nice work man,and ar you gonig to work it more out?
ps: i tryde to make a 10000 planets but dark crashes lol
but a again very nice
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2009 16:14
Haha, thanks I was planning to sort of turn it into a game: each sun/planet/moon would shoot at you and you'd have to destroy the moons and then the planets and finally the suns to progress to the next level. But I kind of lost interest and I wasn't sure if it'd be fun so I stopped work on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:33:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:33:58