Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Normal Map Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 07:21 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 07:24
Ok, been having alot of trouble with my normal maps lately. I'm using x10 of course, and have all of the build settings and preferences to the highest detail. I have a normal map, for both the floor and walls shown in the image provided. I have the effect bumpent on it, so it should be working. My files are all named correctly, using .dds and the endings, _D; _N; _S; etc. The lights are placed at a good position where it should show. Not sure what I can do, but any help would be great. I tried Nomad Soul's tutorial, but no luck. I used the segmentkit, and just changed the effects to show the bumpent. So, that's my delimma, please, help me! Thanks.

Samus075

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 09:17 Edited at: 8th Jan 2009 22:23
So I take it the problem is that the normal map isn't showing up? First things first: make sure you have the textures saved in the X10 files\texturebank folder. Second, make sure that you have the correct file path in the .fps. Third, in the file path, make sure you name it [name]_D.tga
(even though the texture is actually .dds. This is most likely the problem because your texture is appearing in-game)
Hope it helps

A picture says a thousand words.
-- H.K. --
http://x10.themodelcreators.co.uk/
Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 16:42
Ok, I checked it out. First, I have the files saved to the texturebank folder under the files folder in the FPS Creator x10 folder. Also, all of my file path names are correct, and I tried to name the file path name in the fps script with a .tga instead od .dds at the end. Nothing works. I also came up with another problem. I have to have a _D2 texture no matter what in my folder's for the texture. Without it, my objects do not have any texture whatsoever. I looked at other segments, and that's not the case for other x10 segments. Why does it need this file?

Thanks for the help Jingle Fett.

Samus075
Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 17:48
Ok, I've been messing around with it some more. I think it may be a problem with my FPS Creator x10. I tried making the segment through segment creator and it worked with the bump mapping. I applied the bumpent.fx and after I saved it, the norma mapping appeared. But, after transfering the files into the fps creator x10 folders, it did not appear. I have no idea what's wrong, but I'm going to try and reinstall fps creator x10 on my computer to see if that's what's wrong. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, I'm pretty frustrated with this.

Samus075
Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 18:07
I think I've figured it out. I finally took a look in the effectbank of FPS Creator x10 and there's no bump effects at all. Actually, the effectbank folder has four more folders titled common, simple, skinning, and universe, with a couple of effects in each one. Am I missing effect files, or is the one for normal maps actually something else? Let me know if anyone finds out, otherwise I'll do some digging.

Samus075
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
They don't appear because I believe they're internal effects; part of the program. I was confounded by this at first too...
But as to the folder, there are 2 textrebank folders, the one in the main program files (FPS Creator X10\files) and then another one in (files\X10 Files). Maybe it'll work in other directories, but I know for a fact that it works if you put them in the second texturebank folder. Many other people have had these problems so it's not a problem with X10

Here's what I recommend: make a copy of the .fps of one of the full segments (like the one of the segment named circuit or alien, they're both the same). Have your textures in the X10 Files texturebank. Then open the copy of the .fps and everywhere that it specifies the texture (there should be in total about 16 lines), change it to the directory of the texture
The path should look something like this:
X10 Files\texturbank\user\[name]_D.tga

If you change the texture and only the texture, it should appear correctly. Leave the mesh as is. X10 will automatically read the normal and specular map so you don't have to specify that. The effect that it uses is already in the cpied .fps so you do't need to worry about that either.

Oh yeah, you do not need to have the D2 texture. A lot of people seem to do this, but I still don't know why.

-- H.K. --
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 21:26
Quote: "textrebank"
Quote: "texturebank"
Quote: "texturbank"

How many different ways are there to spell texturebank? lol

Which effect are you using. I used effectbank/bumpent/bumpent.fx and that always worked for me.

[center]
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe, I was writing it fast on my laptop and didn't realize I'd mispelled that lol

But as to the effect, most segments use effectbank\bump\bump.fx, so I just use that.

-- H.K. --
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:31
hey guys!

i had the same problem and i got the solution
go to the texturebank and go to a ground, just change your texture names into for example ground_D _N _S so only textures not script, and look if it works, if that works you can duplicate those textures,script etc. and give it other name, works for me

Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 22:36
Ok, here's an image of my fps file. I made sure all of the file paths are correct, and I did create my own model using 3ds max, but it looks fine in 3ds max. Also, the files are actually dds files, not targa.

Samus075

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 23:00
I noticed in your location of the texture you have a folder called "level 1"... You can't have a space in the path between the level and the 1 you remake it level_1 ...

hope this helps

Squalker
Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 23:42
Ok, now I'm getting this wierd, plastic looking texture. Not sure what it is, but it may be the bump map, just too small. Has anyone else seen this?

Samus075

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 00:10 Edited at: 9th Jan 2009 00:23
As Jingle Fett said, you don't need the D2 texture or reference to it in your .fps only D, N, S.

Close the gap between Level and 1 in your texture references as Squalker said.

Change your effect reference from bumpent to bump. Only use bumpent for entities and bump for segments.

Edit - Oh and go to documents/FPSC X10 Files/binfiles and delete the .bin and .dbo for your custom segment before re testing the level.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 01:46
Quote: "Ok, now I'm getting this wierd, plastic looking texture. Not sure what it is, but it may be the bump map, just too small. Has anyone else seen this?
"

You need to adjust the alpha channel of your _S texture file... Make sure it is set to 50% Transparent and Black.... also make it the channel is actually black when your viewing it.... if it isn't paint it all black...

Hope this helps

Squalker
Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 04:18
Awesome, I think it worked. My normal maps are extremely high, so it kind of looks wierd, but I will definitely fix it up. When i'm done, I'm planning on releasing it to the community. Thanks for all of the help guys, I really appreaiate it. Let me know of any other tips you guys have, I'd really appreciate them. The specular map alpha channel had to be painted black, which was finally the last step I needed. Thanks alot again, I'll update you guys soon with the completed model.

Samus075

Attachments

Samus075
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2009 05:20
All right, here's the segment. I will be making a roof and other segment parts that will go with it later. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. It is a zipped folder, so you'll have to unzip it, and I included a document to tell you how to put the folders in the right directory. No changes should be necessary.

Samus075

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:51:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:51:56