Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Blender Modeling Trouble

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I made in Blender a certain building, an egyptian style temple. The trouble is, the outer walls of the temple dont appear at all when I load it in DarkShader. The same happends in DarkGDK. In Blender, I modeled the temple perfectly. Any suggestions? Here is the imagelink to have a look!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 03:14
It looks like you need to invert your pollys.

Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I do that?
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 04:36
Within DarkShader, I have no idea. But I believe you can do that in DBPro, not 100% on that though.

Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Does not anyone have any ideea at all?
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 20:52
In Blender, select all the vertices of your model in Edit Mode and press CTRL-N. That should recalculate all the normals of your model. If it's still not working the geometry of your model is probably messed up.

Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, it still apears very ugly.
I have no ideea what to do since I worked like 3 days on this model, especially the round soft sculpted wall above the temple pillars.
I recalculated the normals, exported it, and in one instance appeared the same, in the other, Dark Shader gloriously crashed. I've atached the .blend file, maybe someone more knowledgeable can look into this?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Aparently the atachment did not came through. Strange.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
Blend file

Attachments

Maflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 15:22
The way your model is made Ctrl+N reverse some correct faces too.
Try this: Turn on 'Draw Normals' under 'Mesh Tools More' in the edit
panel (F9), find the faces that are turned the wrong way, select them and hit Ctrl+F, and flip the incorrect normals that way.

As nice as it is, I think you could simplify the doorway significantly. That might make things easier overall.

I'm secretly very competent.
Kernunos
Years of Service
User Offline
How would I do that? I mean, I want to keep the curve there.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 00:02 Edited at: 19th Jan 2009 00:15
Looks like because of the way you modelled it, some of the vertices are actually duplicated (you have two vertices in the exact same location). The most common cause for this in Blender is that you went to extrude something and then cancelled it by right-clicking. This actually doesn't cancel the extrusion - the vertices are still there. This can also occur if you overuse the CSG commands.

When you select a vertex, make sure the yellow lines leading away from it appear on ALL the edges leading to it. Otherwise, you need to delete one of the vertices and reconnect the faces to the remaining one.

Also, I noticed that you have some faces that are actually inside the model. Not only that, but those faces overlap some other faces. I'm betting that these two things would really mess up DarkSHADER.

Something you should do that would help you correct these errors is removing all the unnecessary vertices. Any vertice that is just in the middle of an edge for no real purpose should be removed to save on polygons and simplify the model. After you delete all the vertices, you can neatly reconnect them using the F key. Make sure you Ctrl-A and Ctrl-N after doing this.

Basically, the point of all this is to make the model into one, clean mesh. A good way to test if you've accomplished this: select a vertex (any vertex). Hold control and press the + key over by the numpad a bunch of times. If this doesn't select the entire model, you still have some problems to work out.

Before: (poly count: 395)

After: (poly count: 99)

Sorry for the long, confusing post. I hope you learn something from it. I've been considering writing a tutorial on this, maybe I should.

Oh, about the curvy decoration over the door. In game models, you really want to use a few polygons as possible. Theoretically you could cut the polies on the curve in half and the player wouldn't notice a thing in-game. As you're making the model, you need to decide which parts of it are going to be seen the most by the player, and give those parts more polies, while the parts that will hardly be seen or seen from a distance can be less polies.

If this is for an RPG game, the player will probably be fairly close to the door overhang. However, it is unlikely that he will scrutinize it or even really notice it, especially with the texture and lightmapping applied. Therefore, I'm thinking you could achieve the same effect with only 3 or 4 rows of faces. Also, because the curve does not curve around the y-axis, you could use only 1 column and not a single change would appear in the geometry.

I've fixed up your model a little (attached). Maybe you can compare the two and see what you did that should have been different. See how this one works out in DarkSHADER.

Edit: Forgot to attach.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:25:32