Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Question to the forum about Geri

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 07:25
Ok, I've seen in alot of posts people (mostly by noobs) flaming Geri. Why?

I was gone for about a week or so due to me moving, did I miss something? The few posts I've seen of this Geri have been childish at best, no reason to start an all out flamefest and talk of banning. In fact I've myself have seen most annoying and bannable stuff come from the poeple flaming him/her. If this person has done something so horrable that the munchkin squad is up with pitckforks and torches over, someone please point it out to me. It's really bugs me that a thread is locked due to unprovoked flames.
Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 07:44 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 07:45
Yes, you have missed a lot.

Geri admitted on a public forum that he cracked DarkBASIC classic. He's also posted multiple topics simultaneously (which were deleted) asking Rich to send him a free full DarkBASIC Professional compiler. He rarely said anything related to programming or anything intelligent (by many people's standards) in general.

In any case, I think this should for the most part answer your question. The only reason I chose to partake in this is because it's just a joke to us now. It wasn't always like this.

Now if you want to consider me a "n00b" that's all fine and dandy. I've been programming for five years and frankly I don't consider that an insult, I consider a term coined by pasty-skinned computer nerds with a security deficient. Of course that's just my two cents and I'll probably get - oh, what's the word - ah, yes, "flamed" for saying such a thing.

Anyone else have anything?

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 07:55
Ah thanks, I think I remember reading those posts now.

As for the noob comment, I really haven't read enough of your posts to call you directly a noob, so it wasn't aimed at you. The majority of that comment was aimed at a few guys that have a high level (10% or higher of there total posts) of senceless or otherwise useless posts (example: poin, *so-in-so bites so-in-so*, , that kinda stuff). In any case the word noob solely refers to attitude more than actual skill. A good example is myself, I may not be that good with DBP, yet few would call me a noob, minus the one post that'll pop up beneath this one, no doubt.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
No worries, I know it wasn't aimed at me, I was just defending myself for future reference. Heh. Either way the word "n00b" still annoys me. Maybe because it's in leet?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 08:15
That's not the worst of it... he has also bombarded the IRC channel with scripts and spammed the forums (posts now deleted). If anyone ever deserved flames, he does.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 08:25
There is no such thing as Geri, he/she is now 2Geri because he/she has already been banned once! Geri has already talked about viruses and other stuff. It only raises my attention, especially when that "worm" is going around. Though I can't accuse anyone, talking about viruses can really attract a lot of attention at this time.

Quote: "The majority of that comment was aimed at a few guys that have a high level (10% or higher of there total posts)"

Eheheheh, about 25% of my posts aren't really important.
(mainly the lol posts.)
15% of my posts are in the team request sections, aimed towards ridiculous posts.
20% aimed in 3D section for either my work or critique.

And ,well, it's not really important to post my figures so I'll stop here.

Jenny: New Recruit to Police Force Jacob: Jenny's Associate
Problem? You may soon find out. "It could take the world."
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 08:49
C'mon. Geri wasn't even fun. Geri spoke broken English, and posted weird to upsetting topics.

Tried to treat seriously, but I wonder if the broken English wasn't a ploy, so people would let a few really dumb things slide.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
S/he sounded like s/he could be German and simply using a translator like Altavista (which tends to do a bad job).

i.e from Geri: You have it seen, not?

I can tell what s/he was trying to say:
Haven't you seen it?

You see, in German you would say:
Sie haben es gesehen, nichts?

Word for word, directly translated:

Sie = You
Haben = Have
Es = It
Gesehen = Seen
Nichts = Not

You have it seen, not?

An educated guess...

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 08:59
direct translation... but grammaticly its "you have not seen it".

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 09:02 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 09:04
Whatever the case, Geri was no fun.

The only reason I make the conjecture is there is a tradition of deliberately using broken English among hackers/crackers.

Could have been like a white kid say, "Whaazup dawg? Ya goin' tah Wal-Mart, yo!? Word, fuh-shizzle mah wannabe nizzle!"

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
"Whaazup dawg? Ya goin' tah Wal-Mart, yo!? Word, fuh-shizzle mah wannabe nizzle!"

hhahahahahhah

"direct translation... but grammaticly its "you have not seen it"."

No, because it ends with a question mark it implies that, well, it's a question. So I think it's "Haven't you seen it?"

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 09:14
sorry it is "You have not seen it?" ...baka yaro

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 09:15
Quote: "Eheheheh, about 25% of my posts aren't really important.
(mainly the lol posts.)
15% of my posts are in the team request sections, aimed towards ridiculous posts.
20% aimed in 3D section for either my work or critique."
Not imoprtant and useless are very differant.

Yeah those internet translators suck, I like to translate back and forth simple messages you can get some funny results.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 09:17 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 09:17
Quote: "Yeah those internet translators suck, I like to translate back and forth simple messages you can get some funny results.
"

you got that right... i can't stand them. Type in simple stuff and get out weird un grammatical BS.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Me and a friend once tried to translate "F*ck you!" into french or something. We translated the result we got from French to English and that result was "Get Stuffed". I have but one thing to say.

El Oh freaking El.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 09:52 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 09:52
Quote: "Ok, I've seen in alot of posts people (mostly by noobs) flaming Geri. Why?"
Forgive my lack of faith, I've just seen one of 2Geri's latest posts.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 10:05
Quote: " Either way the word "n00b" still annoys me. Maybe because it's in leet?
"

I prefer newbie or newcomer myself. I hate people who talk like that, "hey n00b, u bin pwned soooo bad."

Oh, and I believe it hasn't been mentioned yet that he's racist and sexist. He posted multiple topics saying "USA Sucks", when Indi locked them and asked him to stop he kept questioning him and saying the rules were stupid. Oh, and there's always that ever famous "females can't program because they have limited brain capacity" quote he made.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 10:08
Yeah that sexist thing bugged me.

I hate it too when kids talk in l33t, it's so annyoing.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 10:37
Actually I quite liked Ginger. I was getting ready to carefully move from helping him speak English like proper , to inserting a couple of falsies. A bit like the "How to be a complete B*****d" book. You know...

"Yes Ginger, I think you meant to say that you like to give pleasure to various farmyard animals. Yes, the english for what you just said is 'Horse'"

"Aha. And don't forget to add the usual greeting of w**ker to every sentence when you are trying to be nice"

"No, it is not rude to call a Policeman an utter *?!*!. In the police force it is considered a time old quaint (means totally correct) saying. They will reply with a large grin, and in no way use that big stick to pound your face..."

Heh, used to have an email about tricking americans in London. Was fun, esp. about the no tipping cabbies because the government gives them the extra money to help the public (hohoho). And if one gets arsey about it then state you are going to report them to the trading standards".

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 10:53
Geri was trouble right from the start:

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=13067&b=2
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=13070&b=2a

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 12:53
@Exeat:

Geri was right with the first post you write....

For me Geri can write all what he wants, and with broke or correct English.
We are all fre to say what we want, don't you think????

For other stuff, like cracked DB or others, i can't believe.... so all you have original programs, isn'it?????

once again... the hypocrites strikes back.

Let Geri be. He's a bit out of topics, but it's good to have Geri here.Life is good and bad, so now we have the "bad", and we can feel better 'cause we are the "good".

this is a deep thought, for who can understand that.

Free Download for a Free World
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 13:47 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 13:49
Quote: "We are all fre to say what we want, don't you think????"

No! I don't think that. Members of this forum have to abide by it's rules and if the rules say you can't post racist topics then by god you don't. If YOU think you should be allowed to then go make your own forum and you and Geri can discuss politics all you want but this forum is for a programming language called DarkBASIC and they don't want that here.

Quote: "For other stuff, like cracked DB or others, i can't believe.... so all you have original programs, isn'it?????"

YES! All my software are purchase legally, none of it is cracked, none of it is downloaded, all is perfectly legal and I have receipts if you'd like to see them. Just because you crack programs doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

Quote: "Life is good and bad, so now we have the "bad""

Yes but we don't NEED or WANT the 'bad' here, and we shouldn't have to put up with it just because that's 'life'. And hell, we don't have to put up with it so praise to forum banning.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 14:14 Edited at: 1st Aug 2003 14:21
First:"Question to the forum about Geri" so there was a question.
so we can all answer at this topic.

Then:

I haven't nothing to do with Geri, remember that.

Yes this forum have rules, i know it, are you sure in your day you always follow the rules your society makes??? Sometimes we can break rules.I don't want to follow rules if i can, i want to be free.

You have all original programs?? well, you've a lot of money man.... i haven't at all, so i look in internet to download cracked games if i can.sorry.

My copy of DBC and DBPRO are original.i didn't found cracked version.I'm honest, i write it.

I'm a normal one, before reply, respect me as i respect you.

Do you remember when you was a little child, and you want to be noticed by your little friends and your mama and papa??
Geri, is simple this.

By the way, Hexeat, i remember you in the topics of "female users in this forum" isn't it???

@Hzence:

Very intresting language compare!!!!! (german-english)

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 14:26
Quote: "Yes this forum have rules, i know it, are you sure in your day you always follow the rules your society makes??? "

Generally yes but I admit on occasions I will slip up but if I'm caught I won't question the rules, continue to break them and disrespect the enforcers of the rules. That's the difference, Geri broke the rules, got a slap on the wrist and then CONTINUED to break the rules.

Quote: "You have all original programs?? well, you've a lot of money man.... i haven't at all, so i look in internet to download cracked games if i can.sorry.
"

Yes, I buy my programs with money I save and work for and often I get them cheaper as a second hand copy off Ebay or somewhere else where it's discounted. I'm sorry if you don't have enough money to buy a game but warez is still illegal and you can get a hefty fine for it which is much more then the cost of one game.

Quote: "By the way, Exeat, i remember you in the topics of "female users in this forum" isn't it??? "

Yes and I said sexism is wrong. What are you getting at?

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 14:35
oh nothing important, i'm not thinking like you.

well, maybe i can traslate in "Who is without sin, throws the first stone", simply i can't throw stones at Geri.

Don't believe i want to hurt you, Hexeat.

Now i go to lunch.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 14:44
No I don't think you do, I don't think you can either. My arguments are as clear as day, he broke the rules so now he has to pay the price. What you 'believe' is of no consequence here, have a nice lunch.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 14:50
Similar to Ermes's idea, I don't see the point of kicking a dead mule. Yes, Geri's a fool that is nothing more than the next candidate for the "Shadow Robert" award, but why drive it into the ground? Even by using him as a living joke, he's still getting the attention he's looking for.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 15:09
Exeats right... you break the rules you have to be punished for it.
I might really push the rules alot, even bend them - but i've never outrightly broken them.

and if your too poor to purchase the software you need, then really that tough.

people like myself don't work our asses off for a good 10-13hrs a day 6-7days a just for someone to feel that the work we've done isn't worth anything.
i've not always been well off enough to purchase the software i wanteded, you know what i did...

i used something i COULD afford...
its like a carpenter who works all day making cabinates. He sells them for say $150. But maybe thats out of your price range.
A little way down the road you find someone just giving away these cabinates or selling them for $20 - surely you'd think that was a bargin no?
it's obvious they've been stolen, would you still honestly buy one?
could you then walk into that shop again and look that carpenter who works so hard in the eye knowing that you've basically ripped him off?
not forgetting the little fact that it is illegal.

theft is theft, not matter what spin you want to put on it.
there is no admiration in doing it ... it is illegal and wrong.

i would hope to think that i am surrounded by good and decent people here who know the difference between right and wrong.
i hate being wrong.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 15:17
This post is almost as funny as Geri's posts!
Geri might not even understand whats going on here!

Don't everybody just luv Geri's favorite smiley =
lol!

Otacon, can u check the keys to the MetalGear on top of the dresser? - Solidz
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 15:22
Adult 1: Free Speech for Geri!
Adult 2: Punish Him!
Geri: i vill jou arsez so hard kick u vill kiss the moons!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 15:34
lol... i don't give a crap about Geri
i'm just irked about the fact that some here feel piracy is oki

i mean against a huge corporation that charges hundreds of thousands, oki perhaps that isn't quite AS bad - still very wrong, but to do it to a small company then come onto thier forums and announce it to the world.

there's Homer Stupidity then there's Geri Stupidity... don't care what country your from "that's... just... bonkers!" (hehee Rob Williams has the funnest quotes)

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 16:13
i often download and crack utility just for see what are they.
Regular, i use few software, and the half are regular licensed.

Now, i know i'm talking at ones are selling programs...eh eh how stupid i am.....

it's like to talk to one who's selling apples and telling him you regularry stole apples around the shops.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 17:43
Its ppl like Geri, Database, fuzzy and shadow robert that make flamin' fun. Yet they are still stupid.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 18:46
Quote: "Nichts = Not"

Nichts = nothing
nicht = not

Sie haben es gesehen, nicht?
or more likely
Du hast es gesehen, nicht?
would be
You have seen it, haven't you?
as "nicht" is a question tag in this case.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
"often download and crack utility just for see what are they"

I do that too, but if and only if there's no demo available. I mean, if a company offers no demonstration version of it's product, I'm not just going to take their word that it's an awesome program (unless of course I'm a previous customer of their's).

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 19:38
damn'it.It's impossible.
All the user here are the good and loyal face of computer's users.
I'm the black sheep of db forums.

In Italy we are different.
Legal programs only for factory and society or companies, at home, rally the 0,5 % has legal programs.
I'm not in the 0,5%.... believe me , it's true!!!!

example: When illegal psx games were avaiable, nobody still purchase original games.
it's the same for other software in the past, PC, AMIGA, C64, ecc ecc ecc.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 19:59
Geri was talking about piracy of DarkBASIC. He spammed me with emails as well (and presumably several other members of the forum)

Simple as that really.

He probably should take up programming as a hobby, then he would have some understanding of the amount of work that goes into a piece of software.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed. Unfortunately his type comes around every few moons. We'll just have to handle them the way we handled him.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 22:49
i really don't care whether people are just going with the grain or not.

I have not seen a product yet which wasn't intended for the professional market which didn't have a demonstration available to download. Infact it is a rare occurance nowadays not to allow a downloadable demonstration version even for professionally aimed products.

but this isn't to say there isn't a preview model that doesn't get shown to thier key market... at the end of the day the programs that do this are oftenly over $3,000 and quite frankly it is very doubtful that any home user will be able to afford it.
and if your a student then your local university or college will have it on file for your to try & use if your on a course that requires it.

i'm sorry but there is no reason to pirate anything.
oh so something is out of your price range... THAT WOULD BE BECUASE IT ISN'T MENT FOR YOU.
Companies get exposure from internet sites and to allow thier legitmate users to talk to each other, if you can't afford to use thier product then why pirate something your not going to use?

i mean its like people who pirate Visual Studio .Net, what's the point? i don't know any business that even fully uses every single piece of software that comes with it.
and its not like any of you are going to be able to do anything in VS that you can't do in a free alternative without just a little EFFORT.

you wanna pirate Playstation games? PC Games? ... why? because you don't feel that they're worth the $30-40 pricetags?
you don't think that people who work thier asses off to bring you good software deserve to actually be paid and not screwed?

you think by pirating software that somehow the publishers, production companies or retailers suffer?
THINK THE HELL AGAIN!

publishers up the price of software and give the development companies LESS ... the only people you hurt when you pirate are the legitmate buyers and the developers pay packets!

aren't half of you actually hoping one day to be within this very industry - trying to make your ends meat too?

christ ya'll make me sick.
"oh everyone else is pirating so i will!" ... god what are you 3years old!?
"i only pirate if there isn't a demo!" ... if there isn't a demo it either not ment for you OR its actually quite frankly shit!
"i only pirate to learn the products the professionals do!" ... then enroll yourselves in uni and LEARN legally and in a way that gives you a piece of paper that tells prospective employeers that ontop of the eagerness to develop you actually know what the hell your doing!

there are always alternatives... you can't afford VisualC++ then download BorlandBuilder and stop whining.
you can't afford 3DSMax, either download Gmax to learn from or get Milkshape for fraction of the price.
you can't afford Photoshop - what the hells wrong with ZBrush?!

there are always alternatives within the price range of teens holding down a temp job ... if they can afford to develop on a budget why the hell can't you?

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 22:56
With very expensive software, you sometimes have to sign up, with company details to get the trial, but this makes sense - and seems pretty fair to me.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 22:57
I'm against piracy. I support abandonware.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 23:13
I wish people would get that annoyed when it comes to pirating music CDs.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, I'd tell you shutup Raven, but I don't see a point in that because you won't.

Just because something is out of your price range (or there's no demo) does not mean it wasn't meant for you. I have no idea where you got that from. Don't go telling me "they made it really expensive because it's meant for heartless multi-national corporations". That's not true - they made it that expensive likely due to labor, research, and many other factors. I may be just a "little person" - or, to some people, a "n00b" - but frankly I buy the products that I buy because I want to teach myself NOW before I go off to college (which is still two years away). I don't think it hurts to learn to use professional equipment independently as long as it's legal and you've devoted yourself to it - not to mention the fact that I ENJOY development and it's a hobby of mine. Eventually it will be my way of life.

As far as the whole issue about pirating, that's fine Raven. I agree wholeheartedly. It's too bad you jump to conclusions and think that everyone here is a moron - "ya'll make me sick" - because there are a few people here that do know a little more than you tend to think.

Of course I'm gonna get jumped on for disagreeing with Raven, so make it quick, I know it's coming.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 00:13
" i vill jou arsez so hard kick u vill kiss the moons! "

This really cracks me up! Tried telling it to my sis (with added slang, especially around the word "vill"), and she was really rotfl'her'fao!

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 02:14
Ermes -- it's pretty damned common in the US, the way you said with corporates being the only ones who register stuff. That's just because the BSA is tough.

Geri did need cracked (pun?) in the head for basically taking out a full-page ad for a DB crack.

As for the argument . . . Does it matter?

Crackers crack, then post the crap they crack for crackheads to crack themselves up about how they crack the crap that creative guys created so you wouldn't crack your head creating creative crap.

Free software is like free LSD . . . don't be surprised if there is some asswipe on the other side of your Kazaa connection who just thought it would be funnier than a toupee to make you join the thread where sub7 is mentioned.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Crackers crack, then post the crap they crack for crackheads to crack themselves up about how they crack the crap that creative guys created so you wouldn't crack your head creating creative crap."

Best. Line. Ever.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 03:42
The 'Rambo' is back!

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 03:50 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2003 03:51
?

Why does he bother?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 03:51 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2003 03:52
No.
You are not Rambo, you are 2Geri

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 03:56
-- Snake, Rambo has a head band!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:35