Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Question to the forum about Geri

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 20:22
European & Businesses

best to remember it as (Busy with the adjective ~ness ... Busyness cannot go because you need a vowel, i failed english so i dunno why. So it becomes Business... plural of a Business would be to add an s, but without a proprioty you add anthoer vowel to be able to pronouce the word hense 'Businesses')

amusingly i got a U in english (which is much worse that an F)

and if my recollection is correct then European actually came from the Roman. A peon is another word for a plebian or insignificant person - Euro came from the latin for Union ... again can't remember why but i'm sure there was a reason behind it.

but you got European (french changed it as they had the dominant language at the time) - they thought it ment United People, actually ment Insignificant Union of People.
Language barriers are amusing sometimes

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 20:33 Edited at: 6th Aug 2003 20:39
Peon :

1. laborer: in Latin America and the southern United States, a farm laborer, especially in former times, who was forced to work for a creditor until a debt was paid off

2. drudge: somebody who does boring menial work

3. low-paid worker: formerly, in India and Sri Lanka, a low-paid office worker, soldier, or public servant

[Early 17th century. Via Spanish peón and Portuguese peão “foot soldier,” from the medieval Latin stem pedon- , from Latin pes “foot.”]

Quote: "amusingly i got a U in english (which is much worse that an F)
"

That does explain a few things

I got a C/3 myself. Overall in my GCSE's I got 3 C's, 3 D's and 2 E's... One of the E's was maths...
College was mostly Distinctions (with the exception for the maths bit, which I had to re-take). And then at University, I got a 2nd...

Logo design by Indi
Its better than a poke in the eye...
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 22:09
we dont need english here...we speak basic...well some of us...we would all be that much happier if they just patched the rest of the worlds keywords so that they compiled into somthing we understood...that way we would understand the source they were coming from but god must work for microsoft cause he wont let me see the source of life...lol

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 23:12
The US is definatly getting worse. It's alomst down to the level of other big governments by now .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2003 23:37
I'm sorry to contradict Raven, the word European, doesn't come from these two words :
- peon is an english word, and didn't exist when the word Europe existed.
the -an at European, is surely some additive to say "people from" Hungary => hungarian, Rome => roman, Europe => European.
As far as I know, the word Europe, came from the greek mythology, which is older than the Roman's mythology : Europe was a girl, which Zeus wanted, so he turned himself into a white Bull and took her away to some place (on his back), and this place is called after this girl : Europe

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 00:28 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 00:30
"Correct me if I'm wrong, (which I'm sure you will )"

Put that tongue back in your mouth, you are wrong. We have about 3-4 years of world history (from 7th grade through 12th), not to mention that even though the course are Titled "American History" we still learn about other cultures/countries at the time.

"LOL if I had a pound for every post that had phrases like "America won world war II"

You'd be broke. We don't think that - at least I know I don't.

This just goes to show that even those of you who deny the fact that easterners generally think Americans are stupid - think Americans are stupid.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 00:36 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 00:38
Actually we take something called World Studies 1 & 2 the first is about the worlds history...like all of it in a nutshell...well in a book that can crack a pretty hard nutshell...and uh the second one is more American history...and in 7th and 8th we only had world history at my school...we didnt start american history(in depth) till Freshman year of highschool...and it was mostly government...so we really dont do as much "American History" as you think...as for America won world war II thats right we dont think that...we just like to say france helped us get our independence and they helped us out alot through history...and we then saved theyre asses twice so well...FRANCE SUX AND WE FORGIVE THEM...lol, thats how we think...

GO USA...OH AND SCOTLAND...I ALMOST SCOTTISH...ANCESTORY BY 2 GNERATIONS...WHY AM I YELLING?...i dont know...

and as for they think we are stupid...where did most computer discoveries take place...ahem...i really am not sure but Bill Gates is amercan...i think...more like maybe a Russian Commie...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 00:47
i got A* in Maths, Religious Studies (was only the half course though that we HAD to take), Physics...
everything else was just Cs except english which was a U and French was a U, i was predicted a E but i knew i knew less than that

my most major failing in english was actually my gammar & spelling, silly really but ho well eh.

as for EG and his scottish heritiage 2 Gens ...
i've got scottish/irish/welsh/english for the past 4generations, and German 2 Generations back.

can't say i sound at all scottish, and i've tried to - all of the rest of my family can have really good scottish accents when they try ... most have pathetic irish accents though i can have a pretty good irish accent at times

right now have a kinda semi-middle class english with a mild valley ... i've been told its a very soothing combination.
it's nice to be told that i have a very soothing and comforting voice (when i actually bother to use it).

Quote: "we just like to say france helped us get our independence and they helped us out alot through history..."

the French are too subserviant... it's not normal - they're upto something (sorry couldn't resist it hehee)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 01:14
'France' hasn't helped us a bit. French individuals have aided the United States, but the French government has done nothing at all to aid us.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 02:07
Quote: "
'France' hasn't helped us a bit. French individuals have aided the United States, but the French government has done nothing at all to aid us.
"

"to aid us"? You and your family or your friends? Or the government (to be) at that time?

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 02:19
Read whatever you want out of it, I think my point was pretty obvious. You can even look at it as a poorly written 'US' if you want.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 02:45
Lost your sense of humour already?

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 03:24
Boy did this thread suddenly gain a lot of posts . . .

Just to clarify a term, "deceptively stupid" might better be considered something like "crazy like a fox". Rope-a-dop would be more equivalent, but I can't think of it in a way to describe personality.

Americans often come off as dumber than they are. Part of this is the national chracter -- it is unbecoming as an American to come off as too smart, even if you can completely back it up, teleport by blinking your eyes, and solve advanced fluid dynamics equations in your head.

Part of it is the incredibly limited education Americans school turn out. Most Americans have no glimmer of an idea about more than their chosen skill set.

This is just a characteristic of a highly corporatized industrial culture. Guys in the widget factory don't need to know what is going on in the wutzit factory.

There's a whole list of things Americans could never tell you that are, IMO, things you should know . . . how many cylinders are there in your car's motor? What MHz freq and model is your computer's processor? What is the role your current altitude plays in cooking times? Most cannot even tell you the voltage of their electrical outlets.

There is an argument whether this is bad (economically). After all, if ignorant people screw up their possessions, they will acquire more.

America's character is shaped pretty heavily around the need to know. Computer guys don't need to know what the political guys are doing, nor do the mechanics, doctors, horticulturalists, lumber handlers, crack dealers, or teachers need to know the nature of each others' professions.

Ironically, what you end up with is a sort of occilating model of efficiency.

In its best forms, this approach works very, very well. Look at US industry during wartimes. Everyone shuts up and does their jobs.

At its worst, it becomes a method of hiding failures. You get companies with financial guys making or cancelling IT orders without knowing why they were placed to start with. You get businesses that hire unnecessary personnel, and then fire useful ones because they don't understand which ones actually do what. And, in the end, it will be blamed on the accountants (despite the fact "better" men signed the stuff, not them).

Any system is prone to this. Look at the Soviets! By the end of communism in Russia, their whole system was so screwed up that nothing got done.

If nothing else can ever be said for Americans, they will, given time, get anything done. Sure, it may look like hell, but it will be done.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 03:29
BTW -- dead Russians won WWII in Europe.

Neither America nor Britain should ever be allowed to claim we won the European war. The US lost fewer troops in all theatres of the war throughout the war than Germany lost at Stalingrad alone.

The Russians utterly bled the Germans white, and the only hand we Americans can claim in it was lend-lease supplies (which, the Russians rightly paid us for by copying every single weapon we sent them, and making them cheaper to produce and more effective in harsh conditions).

But, then all those Russians would have died in some other less useful way if Stalin had not had the need to use them to smack down another creep.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, the whole thing about cars doesn't interest me. I know many Americans find it fasciating but frankly all I care to know about my car for the time being is how to drive it. However when I'm older I'd like to know more so that I know mechanics aren't ripping me off

Computers? Ah, yes. One of my passions, next to writing...and I still have so much to learn. That's the exciting part - you're never done learning about computers. There's always something new to pick up. For some reason, ever since my dad brough home my family's first IBM machine with windows 3.1 and probably a 97 MHz processor, I've been fascinated. I guess it was the original Duke Nukem and Command Keen trilogy that got me hooked.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 11:22
97mhz is an odd number.
Damokles81 point was interesting as well, the minotaur was the offspring of this encounter.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 17:03 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 17:04
Yeah we like to pretend we is dumb when we is best smartest nation of all...actually i dont care what you say about a "Nation" because...well...not everyone in the nation is the same...i mean look at raven...have you ever met anyone like that in any netion? lol...im just messing...but honestly can any of us say we are stupid when we all can program...man i got friends that dont know what an operating system is...and *ahem* for those of us that understand the OPCODES( oh yeah thats me as of yesterday..lol) we have taken the time to learn how computers work on a general and overall level...these skills cannot be denied as most of us are young and know alot about computer...look at me, i am 16, overly abitious but i am making a simple compiler and a new programming language after i finish my replacment IDE for DBPro so that i can base the engine for the IDE in my new language off of that piece of code...i mean cmon...just think we have coded games at some level whether or not we got help here we learned somwhere...so i believe we can say we(the DB community) can say we are the best and brightest of our nations...except for Geri cause he/she doesnt deserve to be part of this community...cause we all have givin back and helped those who helped us or even a newb...even i have been attempting(mind you) to help people here and there though mostly to no adieu...so we can be proud of our community as it is our nation...a nation that game designers built and thats scary...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 21:01
' The US lost fewer troops in all theatres of the war throughout the war than Germany lost at Stalingrad alone. '

Which proves what? Nothing. You don't count the winner by the number of losses.

Hitler didn't take over the world. That alone proves that the Allied forces won the war-- the means and the time and the losses don't matter, the war was won.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 21:14
OK, Mouse . . . You're right. After all, the most important theatre of the war, where the most people fought, and the most people died, and where the most protracted fighting took place can hardly be where the whole thing turned.

I'm assuming then that the American revolution turned during the Swamp Fox campaigns in Illinois, and certainly not during the Saratoga campaign.

I feel a Discovery Channel special coming . . . "The little told story of the dingy that helped defeat the Spanish Armada . . . DINGY OF FATE, coming this September. Only on the Discovery Channel."

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 23:47
It dosen't matter what turned the side of the war. There were, for the most part of the war, two temporarily allied groups. One lost, one won. I'm sure that dosen't matter to you however-- you like to count corpses and declare dead people as heroic victors. Very... original.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 00:24
Mouse -- this is why foreigners often cannot believe Americans. We won't give people their due even when they deserve it.

It was all the genius of America . . . Until you put a man on the moon, and then tire of it like a 14 year old listening to her favorite boy band, you will never measure up to the United States.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 00:46
ya'll nuts... you know we were called the Allied because we were a nations allied for a common goal.

The ALLIANCE won the war ...

there are a few points i wanted to make in that code strip - if you read it don't sit there and bitch about what i say. I don't want a reply and if you think you can't do anything cept reply to it then leave it the hell shut.

that is really why i dislike the whole WW2 portrayal.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 01:02
Heh, you think you lot had it bad with history lessons? Where I come from (Wales) we had almost nothing about the rest of the world. WW2 wasn't even mentioned! Bit about industrial revolution (Welsh bit), some harping on about why North Wales (my bit) was much better than the rest of Wales, and how Anglesey (my bit that is an island) was much better than the rest of Wales as we were the only ones to send back the hated English (bit like Moscow apparently with Froggie boy, and then later with Nazi boy). Oh, and how we have been burning down English holiday homes for centuries. Nice. Quite slanted to how the English are scum.

Apparently in Ireland it's even worse. A friend of mine reckons it's non-stop English hatred in history. And not much else. Tops.

Geography was also great. Well not. We learn quite a bit about glaciers though. And how they formed the Welsh valleys... sigh...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
oh for the love of god someone close this thread, it's way off subject. for one thing raven, we're talking about different leaders and different eras here, so obviously the decisions aren't the same. and another thing it doesn't matter. if we get into this politically then everyone who lives on this piece of land is going to hate everyone on that other piece of land (i.e. UK vs. US) just because of where we live. seriously, think about it like that. if you were born on this piece of land you wouldn't think that at all.

ah, it's not worth fighting over.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 01:46
I said the Allies won the war, I never mentioned America. 8truths just has a screw or five loose.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 02:46
Quote: "Hitler didn't take over the world. That alone proves that the Allied forces won the war-- the means and the time and the losses don't matter, the war was won."

Try telling the relatives of the dead the losses didn't matter.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 03:12 Edited at: 8th Aug 2003 03:12

Website 50% done (May be out by mid-end August)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 03:23
Hzence different leaders... different eras... and in 50years no ones learnt a damn'd thing.

if it was Britian who has been attacked, if we had gone to war on terrorism - who the hell would've back us?

you somehow think that america would've? cause if thats what you think then think again ... Blair had to fight Bush every step of the way to back down from a control battle of Iraq.
And Blair wasn't trying to simply take it for Britian, but he wanted the UN to oversee it.

the American government always has and i don't doubt for years to come will be dominated by pure greed.
They're friends with the British as long as it suits them to be ... and one day our government will see that is why they act the way they do.

Friendship is a two-way street, and the american government has never learnt this ... its like a spoilt rich brat who ever one is of because it has a bigger gang than everyone else.
Its about bloody time that the UN stood up to them and told them NO!

--- ---

Quote: "Hitler didn't take over the world. That alone proves that the Allied forces won the war-- the means and the time and the losses don't matter, the war was won."

Quote: "Try telling the relatives of the dead the losses didn't matter."

the relatives don't care who won the war, they just want thier loved ones back... everyone wants to hear that thier loved one died a hero - but in the end it is a far better comfort to know that your loved one died for the cause.
Either to become the most dominant race and prove your purity and strength - or to fight for the freedom & identity that we love so dear.

the solider may or may not have been a hero, but they gave thier lives for something they believed in ... and thier death serves on to the reminder that they saved millions of innocent lives by giving of thiers.

it doesn't matter how you did this, how your served. Everyone was as important as the next person - people died but more were saved.
why should one nation see themselves as the saviours?
everyone was equal they all fought and died side-by-side ... the war wasn't about the death but the hope.
a hope that we would be free and safe once again without someone trying to make us something that we don't want to be.

there are no victors in war, only survivors.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 06:56
'there are no victors in war, only survivors.'

I'm sure Alexander the Great would have really loved to hear that.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 07:38
why?

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 08:23
Geri has weighed in!

Everyone, the thread is done. Geri has spoken.

. . .

Raven gets 1/2 of a point. He loses the half, because there are victors in war (bastards wouldn't keep these thing going otherwise). He gains a half, because the sentiment itself is right.

. . .

I find the mention of Alexander the Great a bit awkward. Warrior-kings are so distant from this day and age, it's hard to assess their relevance.

Indeed, you have to respect the notion of the warrior king. After all, if you're going to provoke a war . . . I have a hard time seeing 2George Bush standing with a mass of hoplites as 100,000 Persians charge full sprint toward him.

And did Alexander really achieve victory?

After all, in a geostrategic view, the Greeks pissed away their moment of quasi-unity under the Macedonians on a frivilous war of revenge against the Persians.

Then, they fell apart, and were absorbed by the Romans about 150 yrs later, and did not see independence again until the 1800s.

If anything passes for victory, it should be consolidation. Edward I, Louis XIV, Mao, so forth.

Most of the "great men" of history were long-term failures. Napoleon, Hitler, Alexander, the American Confederates, Kitchener, the Japanese high command -- all deeply admired, and every last one of them screwed their people's chances irreparably.

History would be better if great men would make a solitary, brutal contribution; imagine if someone like Rommel, instead of fighting the Battle of el Alamein, decided to club Adolf Hitler until the fuhrer crapped blood!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 09:11
anyone else thinking "for gods sake 8truths just keep stop that one paragraph before!" whilst reading his posts?

i understand the refference made to alex the great, just didn't click straight away

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:59
Thats what I think when i read both yours and his posts.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
"Thats what I think when i read both yours and his posts."

Ditto.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 02:55

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 03:18
Alexander the Great screwed his people's chances irreparably, did he?

You've got your history as mixed up as your ethics.

Alexander the Great forged a massive empire with a series of hugely successful campaigns. He halted the wars between two rival countries, saving tens of thousands of lives, and united them into one strong nation. He founded great cities that are standing today. He started scientified institutions that helped great minds achieve amazing things. How exactly did this 'screw his people's chances irreparably'?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 03:57
How many of those cities were in Greek hands even a year after his death?!

Empire? It wasn't an empire. It was a bunch of tributary states held together by the threat of force. And, when that threat was gone it fell apart.

If Alexander's empire was a long-term success, then so were Napoleon's and Hitler's empires.

This is what is wrong with humanity in general: we are so in awe of single successes that we fail to see their flaws in the bigger picture.

I mean, a giant empire is not a sduccess just because it is giant. The Russians proved that! How many people suffered under the yoke of Russian success? How many suffered under the yoke of the Macedonians?

The guy was just an adventurer who lived an era when it was OK for people to die because someone is too childish to not want to play war with people's lives.

Mouse . . . if you're so up on this notion of wonderful happy war, go do it. I don't mean enlist and join the fat and happy US military. Buy a plane ticket, and take a camera with you to some war-torn place like Chechnya, the West Bank, Myanamar, or Colombia.

It kills me to say it, but Raven is right. Not because he is Raven, but because he is speaking about one of the barest truths of existence. War is not a heroic thing, nor should it be portrayed as such.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 05:52
'War is not a heroic thing, nor should it be portrayed as such.'

I think you'll have to define War and Heroism both before I accept that statement, but that's impossible, because both of those are dependant on one's point of view...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 08:02
Mouse . . . The fact that's even an issue scares me.

Heroic behavior is when people deal well with bad odds, not when people suffer because some group of dumb, rich, white males stacked the odds poorly and decided that men of lesser state in the world should go sort their problems out with guns.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 17:44
I due believe nearly everything is persepctive, but some things are thought about near identical as everyone else. However I remember very, very little of 7th grade history class thus I have no idea as to Alexander the Great or any of his tactics, so I'll shut up now.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 17:58
who cares. lets make fun games.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 18:25
'Heroic behavior is when people deal well with bad odds'

Well, that certainly explains you quite well, 8truths. You consider any person, regardless of what they are fighting for or what they have done, to be a hero if they deal with bad odds. Ah.

I'm retiring from this argument for now for a similar reason as Arrow; although I quite clearly remember my last year spent in studying the Greek civilization and culture, I see no reason to continue an argument with someone who has no sense of 'right' or 'wrong', says nobody can win a war, and yet hates America for surviving and being what it is. It is an amusing and impossible mix.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 20:12
Thank God! No sense of right and wrong . . . WTF! Get out!

Because I hate war I must hate America?!

You shit-eating, conservative little Nazi!

Everyone one of you guys pulls that crap out! Everyone who thinks America should not go off on an orgy of killing and stealing people's oil, well, they must hate America.

I love America.

Mouse. You are the DUM-BAH-EST person on this forum.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
close this thread

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 02:36
'If Hitler won the 2nd worldwar, then the world are more peacefoul, than now!'

How typical. You are the type of person who would trade the lives of tens of thousands of men and women and children who follow the jewish religion, just to have what you consider a peaceful life.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 04:49
I don't think it's a small thing for a country to have its rightful land taken away. But you cannot compare a patch of dirt to a human life-- let alone thousands of them.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 05:16
thread that should be closed number 357.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 06:42
No joke, we got flaming, cussing, and now pro-Nazi talk, lock this thread.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 09:15
I still want an explanation: is 2Geri a farce?

There's no way this is Geri! This is a silly putty pile of Geri theories and quotes.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 17:02

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:45