Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Strange Skinning issue with X10???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 03:23 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 03:24
See attached guys. Here is what I did.

Since I can't fine a good DDS converter for Vista I took the Zombie_1_D.dds and brought it over to a XP Computer.

I than converted it to a JPG, skinned and saved as a DDS.

Than brought the file over to the Vista machine, imported it and tested it in FPSC and X10

Works fine in FPSC like I have done before...

However, take a look at the screenshots in X10.

While it shows up in the editor, when you go in game it is not. I have tried appear 1 and 2 with no luck while experimenting. Sorry if this is a noob question but I am new to all of this and have some cool custom skins for the default characters.

Thanks in advance and any info on what I can try will be a help trying to figure this out.

Dooms Wars

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 05:10 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 05:11
your DDS _D texture file needs to have an Alpha Channel that is all white and 100% Transparent...

Here is a tutorial on how to setup texture for X10

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132242&b=33

Hope this helps

Squalker
Rob John B 95
Years of Service
User Offline
cool, they'd be good ghost charactors
doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 01:21 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 01:45
OK thanks still a bit confused.

I have the main texture called Zombie_1_D.dds that I skinned

So do I now make another file?

I see there are N and S files as well. I am still a bit confused on what to do after I edit the main DDS file. In my case I skinned the Zombie_1_D.dds and kept everything else the same.

Sorry if this is a noob question and that I still do not understand. Once I get 1 down I will be all set. Attached is the DDS file I have. If we can go forward on what I am missing that would be great. Again sorry for not understanding the other posts.

Thanks in advance.

Dooms Wars

Attachments

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 01:48
Yes There are 3 files you need for entities in x10 ... You need a _D _N _S files... the are all the same base texture in different formats... _D = Diffused _N = Normal map texture and _S = Specular Map File...

How to make each texture file is cover in the tutorial thread I linked earlier... look at Nomad Soul's posts in that thread... one of them has a link to download the tutorial..

Hope this helps

Squalker
doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Squalker

Thank man. I emailed you a question if you don't mind. I went through the tutorial. I must be missing something. Please let me know your thoughts.

Dooms Wars

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 04:21
@ doomswars

I sent you a reply to your email..

Hope it helps

Squalker
doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks got it and took a look at everything. I added the 3 files and it produced the same results. Still a transperent issue. I am at a loss still as it works fine in FPSC.

Thanks in advance.

Dooms Wars

doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 21:37 Edited at: 19th Jan 2009 22:02
The other thing that I notice is when I download for example Bonds Brute character and look in the files there is only 1 DDS file for the texture. I add that in an X10 game and that works fine. However when I alter the DDS than I expect that it would do what the reskinned zombie texture did as show above... Be invisible right? No. The texture shows up the way it was even it I reskin the texture.

So I have a couple of questions still. While I am happy this is working in X10 I do not know why it works without the D, N and S DDS files. Also when reskinning the DDS file in this case using Brute while testing why does the texture in game not change.

I am using Paint.net. and like that using FPSC there was an easy way to reskin the characters. You just change one DDS file. Now you have to have 3 saves for one file. I have looked at the read me and tutorials and still a bit confused. Is there a way once I have the master texture DDS file while using Paint.net to save the other 2 files so it shows up in the game without being invisible? I have experimented and still have not been able to have it show up in the game correctly.

I am sorry if this is a noob situation I just can;t seems to get these to show up in the game while experimenting with other characters that produce no change at all after a DDS retexture.

See attached. I guess my question would be using the paint.net how would I take the D texture and create an S and N so it goes into the game without being invisible.

Thanks in advance.

Dooms Wars

Attachments

doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 01:40 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 01:52
Another strange thing in this case is good is I take the Model Pack 4 Characters and skin those with no issue. They also only use 1 DDS file. Again works like a charm...

Seems like there is only an issue with X10 made characters.

Still testing others out.

Update:

ai_1_D.dds skins just fine. Still strange that the same process produces 3 different results...

Works

Makes guys transparent

OR makes not changes at all but works.

Again same process to 3 different characters DDS files with 3 different results...

Dooms Wars

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:33:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:33:55