Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] HCZ: The hardcore zombie project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 21:43 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 21:55

(Original WIP thread at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=25&t=131986&p=0)

Description

It's a zombie game, duh. But why hardcore?
Well, I've been playing a ton of zombie games lately, and there are several things that just keep bugging me about them. I'm a big fan of George A. Romero's zombie movies, and the way I see it, the zombie mythology he created is the only valid mythology there is. And it has two important rules: 1: Zombies only die from a headshot, and 2: One zombie bite and you're done.
And that's what makes it hardcore. I'm taking survival horror to the max; only headshots kill, you have no health bar/indicator, one bite and you die. No extra lives either. Or ammo counter. Hardcore, baby.

The game is made with vanilla FPSC 1.13.

Story

The zombie apocalypse has swept over the planet, and you've gone all survivalist, hiding in your own basement with a field generator and supplies. After months of hiding, the supplies have diminished and you're forced to surface to the post-apocalyptic world, filled with decay and inhabited by the walking dead...

Min. System Requirements

HCZ is has detailed environments and uses shaders, thus it's quite demanding.
To run it, you'll need at least

P4/Athlon 64 with 1.8ghz
256mb GPU
1-2gb RAM

Reviews/comments

"I think it is BOTB quality! Keep it up!"
- ZackS28

"It was absolutely brilliant! I think I've made the superlative record on this forum by my review but heck, you deserve it! I died in the powerplant level and had to start all over and heck, I didn't give up like in most games I would have. This tells something about the greatness of HCZ.

There's so little to complain here that.. I have to do this..

10/10"

- Juzi

"That, was sweet. That was the best game made with FPSC. "
-Fuzz

Gameplay instructions

-HCZ has an adventure game-styled point and click mechanic. You can activate various objects such as closets, dead bodies, books etc by pressing enter near them. I suggest taking advantage of this, as it gives you gameplay tips, deepens the storyline, and you can occasionally find ammo clips etc. from closets and boxes.
-The game is pretty dark, I'd suggest playing in a darkened room... In daylight it might be a bit difficult to see what's going on.
-Always aim for the head, shooting elsewhere is useless
-The axe is wildly inaccurate, use it as your last resort

The game contains some strong language, disturbing images, adult themes, and strong violence and gore. It's not recommended for children or for the faint of the heart. If in doubt, do not download

Demo download link (420mb):
http://trproductions.net/ehetyz/HCZepisode1.rar

Enjoy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Enok66
Years of Service
User Offline
wow that looks realy good!!

BOoOM headshot!
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 01:44
Looks pretty good. Downloading now!

Get ready for my awesome review...

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 01:55
I love this game. 10/10

Crav3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 06:02
Downloading now. Looks really good. I'll Give you a review when I've finished it.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 19:22 Edited at: 21st Jan 2009 20:37
Alright well I didn't have time to go through the whole demo I will write a review on what I played so far...

Level Design:

Very Very good, the only part I didn't think looked good was the outside in the second level, The walls just didn't look good to me because they were 2 stories high and the textures are meant for 1. Another thing about that part is that there was only 2 doors, the one you came out and the one you leave in... At least I don't think I seen anymore... 9/10

Lighting:

WAY to dark, I mean I know your trying to be scary and all but most of the entire game was 0 ambiance. That's pitch black, I couldn't see anything. It wasn't even scary... It was just making me really pissed off. 6/10

Sound:

The sound was really good. Except the Zombie Sounds... I hated them. It sounded like a rat dieing or something. Thats the only bad part I thought. 8/10

Gameplay:

It was pretty good. Loved the [enter] thing with all the objects. It was very unique. Only thing I didnt like was that the first zombie had a lot of health. I died 3 times before I could kill him. Used all the gun ammo and 2 axe hits before he died. 8.5/10

Overall Score: 8/10 Pretty good

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 20:02
Quote: "Only thing I didnt like was that the first zombie had a lot of health. I died 3 times before I could kill him. Used all the gun ammo and 2 axe hits before he died."
Umm... They only die if you shoot their heads. It is one shot kill for head shots, all other shots are useless.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 20:36
Quote: "Umm... They only die if you shoot their heads. It is one shot kill for head shots, all other shots are useless."

ohh!!! Alright in that case I will change it to an 8 overall..

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 21:00 Edited at: 21st Jan 2009 21:02
Thanks for the review, just gonna address a few issues you brought up...

On the second level, there are in fact other doors in the courtyard, but they're boarded up. They're easy to overlook I guess.

As for the game being pitch black... well, then there's something wrong with your monitor settings. Except for a few corners here and there, there are no areas that are BLACK. It's dark, but everything is visible. (And as I've said in the instructions, the game should be played in a darkened room etc... That's the only correct way to play/watch horror anyway IMO)

And yeah... You can shoot the zombies all you want to, if you don't get a headshot, they ain't gonna die.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 22:19
Quote: "And yeah... You can shoot the zombies all you want to, if you don't get a headshot, they ain't gonna die."

I was getting really really mad... After I died the second time I quit went to bed and played more of it today.

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 22:43
LOL That's hilarious... Especially since the whole headshot thing is mentioned in the first post like... 3 times

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 23:07
Well, I dont prefer reading...

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I really loved it. The combination of the music and the zombies popping up really freaked me out! Here is my review.

Level Design
Very good! I got stuck a few times (polygon collision, eck!) but other than that it was superb. 9\10

Lighting
Very freaky, just the right amount of dark. 10\10

Sound
Scary music, combined with zombies (kinda funny sounding)
was very scary. 9\10

Gamplay
I loved the story, the videos were awesome, and the messages were pretty sweet. 9\10

Final score 9/10

Great job, I loved it, totally BOTB quality. Can't wait for the second episode!

My Computer: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb of RAM,
Nvidea 9800 gt 512Mb, And Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 14:57 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 13:07
looking nice

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 01:56
I haven't played it (I am really not a fan of horror) but I can see that it definately deserves to be BoTB quality.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 05:39
Awesome game. It lags a bit for me, but its still great. The movies. Awesome. The only thing is... Lighting. A little brighter would be nice. I tried to use my "little cheat", using the "<" and ">", but they dont work. It was just too dark to see the amazing detail.

I'm a Twisted Fire Starter...
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 15:45
Quote: "I tried to use my "little cheat", using the "<" and ">", but they dont work."

Hmm.. Speaking of which. How do you do that Ehetyz?

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 15:54
I didn't even know about that I guess it's a side effect of me customizing the setuplevel.fpi with pspad instead of FPSC.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 18:53
Lookin' Good Bro. I gotta slide some stuff your way soon

CoZ

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 16:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2009 16:48
mmm gotta try this through 400mb is quite big,you should make a torrent for this size

edit: downloaded,tried,went to the bathroom,changed my pants it was just awesome,better than fear through i got killed by the first zombie when i was trying to break the window,just awesome,awesome,oh and did i say awesome?

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 11:02
Quote: "mmm gotta try this through 400mb is quite big,you should make a torrent for this size"

Umm... it's FPSC?
IceAxe18
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 00:17
I thought this game was ok, but the lighting is to dark.

--
Asus M2N-E motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 5000+,
Geforce 9800 GT 1024MB PCI Express, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 17" TFT LCD Color Monitor, 1 TB hard drive, DVD R/RW, Windows Vista 64bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 03:39
Quote: "I thought this game was ok, but the lighting is to dark."

Same part I was it. It is PITCH Black!

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 15:55
Very nice, I think the parts where you press enter and get information should have a prompt though. The end video dialogue was really hard to understand as well. The little side stories were my favorite.

Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 13:04
I think I crapped myself

10/10 Excellent Game, deserves a BOTB

I will not tell you that no
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 01:20
Sounds interesting.

LEON OAR
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 23:41 Edited at: 14th Feb 2009 23:42
I havnt stepped foot on the FPSC boards in awhile. I left them for dead after I got DBPro. But, I came back to find this. I downloaded it, and forgot that you could save in fpsc games. So, I got to the generator rooms I think, and ran out of ammo. I was in a long scary hallway, and a zombie came out of nowhere and killed me. That was funny.... but the rest of the game play was nothing like "funny", no it was full of "... hmm, I wonder whats over there, If it wasnt so freaking dark, I wouldnt be afraid of going to check it out... But I guess I have to check it.. uh oh, theres that moaning again, zombie must be ar-AAAAAAAAAAHG DIE YOU ZOMBIE SCUM!!!"

nice job.

PGDO. it consumes my every waking moment, that is not already being eaten by work / school / sleeping
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 19:13
I just played the demo, it's awsome! I forgot to save at the third level, so I quit...

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 21:18
Weird, nobody comments about the video.

That was really awesome, was those actors his friends?

NEW: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40ghz 4gb ram 32-bit | OLD: 3.19GHz - 7600GT - 1GB - Windows XP
Visit my youtube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/bergice1
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 14:14
The protagonist in the video is me, and the zombies, soldiers etc. gore stuff was footage we shot for the film Parasite Quarantine that ended up being unused in the film, so I used them here. Aand yes, those are my friends there My little film crew, we've been making movies since 1999.
Glad you like them
I haven't been able to work on HCZ for a while, been horribly busy (working on 3 movies simultaneously, that takes a lot of my time). But you'll see more of the good stuff once I can arrange some free time and continue with this beast

nj18
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 15:12
I haven't play this yet, but your pic's look cool!

I'VE GOT YOUR COMPUTER NEEDS HERE! (8800 GTX, 4gb of RAM, 7600 GS, FPS Creator X10 and more)
P.S. if you don't have paintball gear bring cash.
Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 18:46
AMAZING! the screenshots you have dont do it justice!

Not in cruelty, Not in wrath The Reaper came today;
An Angel visited this gray path And took the cube away.
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 01:58
I know this post is a bit late, but this game is awsome! It managed to do what doom 3 or FEAR never managed to do-scare the hell out of me! the music was perfect and the sounds were great! Great work, but I must admit the video was a bit lame. The blood and guts were awsome, but... no, just no.

A single drop of water can mean a drained ocean for future generations
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 03:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 03:32
To Destroyer:

Okay well... go out and buy a thousand(s) dollar HD camcorder and then
shell out God knows what money for
props, cost of actors, gore, and special effects... not to mention the permission and money
it would cost to rent the places out that are needed for the shots...
buy the Media Manageable PC, buy the video editing software, find the
time to do it all, make a masterpiece that will make eyes bleed and
then come tell an advent director and someone sincere in his work
with budget cuts and moderation, how to make a movie.

No offense... but show respect.

Astek

-Indestructible-

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 06:12
I thought the movie was really good. Nice editing, easy to follow. Might have been better if you had a few more actors but that increases the difficulty of coordination and costs (not to mention increase in costs of props, fake gore etc), and it would only add a little.

My only real concern had nothing to do with the movie itself, but rather the format - whatever codec it used seemed to have cause it to pop up in a separate window

Still haven't played through all of the game, but from what I had, good job! Very creepy, better atmosphere than FEAR 2 (then again, FEAR 2 kinda fell flat, sadly).

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 19:33
Thanks for the comments y'all.

Astek, I appreciate it, but there's no need to step in to defend me. Though you're right, making movies ain't easy.

The videos are a bit low-tech, I admit it. Producing films is expensive, and I prefer to concentrate my efforts towards full length features, so what you see in HCZ (and my other games) is bits and pieces that are either rejected/unused material from my older films or stuff I've shot alone. Case in point; the intro of HCZ is edited from deleted scenes of the Parasite Quarantine, with the footage of the protagonist and the outro being stuff I shot in my garage on HD (you can see the difference in picture quality).
When I get around to making episode 2, I intend to put more effort to the cutscenes, i.e. arranging a proper shoot with my crew with better production values.

@airslide;
The videos are in DVD MPEG format. I guess FPSC uses an external program for codec control, so with some programs it goes into windowed mode... But using the radius-packed AVI that the default FPSC videos employ would lead to such an awful video quality that I'll rather stick to MPEG...

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Ehetyz:

I'm just voicing for you because I didn't know when you would be back
and I slightly know about the cost of making a movie. I'm looking
into doing it sometime in the future.

Best Wishes and as soon as I get up to making maps again,
I'll have the Church all set up for you and whatever else is needed.

Astek

-Indestructible-

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 05:24
Quote: "I just played the demo, it's awsome! I forgot to save at the third level, so I quit..."

You didn't save so you just pressed escape and went to exit game? lol

shes a brick HOUSE!
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 15:33
Quote: "You didn't save so you just pressed escape and went to exit game? lol"

No, he made it to level 3, but didn't save. He then died, meaning that he had to restart the entire game, so he stopped playing.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 00:40
Quote: "No, he made it to level 3, but didn't save. He then died, meaning that he had to restart the entire game, so he stopped playing."

I know what he meant... lol I was just joking because thats how he typed it out.

shes a brick HOUSE!
Mountworks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 14:08
Level Design:
Its good. Some small things, but it looks like it could be a new F.E.A.R.
9/10

Lighting:

TOO DARK! I got stuck actually, until i figured out that the door was next to the wall i was trying to walk into.
4/10

Sound:

This is awesome. Zombie sound a little bit... yeah. Else its good.
7/10

Gameplay:

Kinda linear. The zombies wasn't scary after a while. They just.. yeah.. you could see it comming. The pistol ran out of ammo too early. I was left to a big zombie with a axe.
5/10

Overall Score: 6/10 Needs a little work.

I dont like cake.
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 20:20
Yeah, well...
You probably won't see any more episodes or updates to HCZ. Toying around with FPSC was a fun distraction for a while, but I no longer have time or ambition for making games with it. I've come to the conclusion that it's not something I'm good at, so I think I'll prefer to focus my energy to things I actually excel in. And I really don't have much spare time either. I just finished my third feature film last week. I thought that after that maybe I would have more free time, but that's not to be; I have another movie awaiting post-production, one more currently filming, and one that I'm writing. It takes all my free time, and frankly, I'm happy that way.

So, this is my departure from FPSC. I'll probably still lurk around the forums, since there are a few interesting projects here, but HCZ will not continue. I'll keep the demo/episode1 up, though, so everyone who wants, can give it a shot. Heck, maybe I'll be back someday to do something small.
But not anytime soon.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 12:18
Oh noes

I really don't know what to say. I personally think that you are the best level designer around these forums and that fact will propably never change. It's a real shame that after all this great work, you stop working.

Well.. happy filming

LukeChalloner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 20:13
I downloaded this game yesterday and have been enjoying it thoroughly since, it is by far one of the best projects I have seen here on the forums, I am sad to hear that you are no longer carrying on with the project, but I wish to thank you very much for this gem of a game, here's what I think:

Game play: The very limited health and "Head shots only" mechanic makes for an incredibly tense experience whilst still being fun at the same time. The simple puzzles such as retrieving a key or finding a switch to unlock a door are fun and give a nice break from combat.

Overall: 9/10

Level Design: The level design on show in HCZ is fantastic, the enemies are placed in the right positions to deliver a scare and there are just the right amount, relative to the level size, furthermore the general trash that can be found lying around seems to be perfectly placed and the whole map has a very professional feel that not only allows for great game play but adheres to the storyline aswell.

Overall: 9/10

Plot: The plot is a simple one, but despite it's simplicity, it has been executed almost perfectly, the environments and level design go hand-in-hand with the plot, and the plot slowly develops throughout the demo, the "clickable" items further immerses you and are a great feature that adds depth to the game.

Overall: 8/10

Graphics: The graphics are very good for an FPSC game and add to the atmosphere, however the game uses dark a LOT! And unfortunately this darkness is currently too dark, sometimes it can be hard to see doors or items on the floor, despite this the lighting still makes the game look amazing. The movies are also excellent.

Overall: 7/10

Sound: The sound in this game is superb, the music fits perfectly with the players actions and the sound effects are also Top-notch, this is some of the best audio I've ever heard in a FPSC game so I'll give this a:

Overall: 10/10!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend anyone who is reading this review to download this game ASAP, it's a wonderful game with excellent game play, tense atmosphere and stellar sound. GET IT!

OVERALL SCORE: 8.6/10
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 05:58 Edited at: 26th Apr 2009 06:54
EDIT

Astek

-Indestructible-

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 11:18
ASTEK: I'd prefer if you didn't. If you have further questions about it, email me, don't use the forums.

@Lukechalloner; Thanks!

Juzi: Like I said, I'll still lurk around here every once in a while... I'm keeping a close eye on Vague

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 06:55 Edited at: 26th Apr 2009 06:55
Whatever. I understand.

Astek

-Indestructible-

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 12:46
WoW. I've been waiting for a game like this! It's good that you did it! I hope that it's as good as you promissed!

[img]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1760776[img/]
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 13:02
I just got out from the house, that was so scary that in somepoints I locked my self into the basement again! Too scary!!! And I was outside and I heard a sound of a zombie, and I started running like hell and then there came this bug, that I felt throught the ground into nothing and died! WoW. It's great! I recommend to eveyone to play. I'm from Narnia, so I don't speak so good enlish.

[img]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1760776[img/]
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 17:52
I just got a heat attack! I made it out from the seweres and then I heard zombie, I ran back inside I turned over and BANG! A zombie in my face!!!

[img]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1760776[img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:15:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:15:09