Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What should I use to "start"?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, I'd like to let you know that I'm not new to these forums, but have been "out" for a while.

What I want: An efficient tool that allows me to make a simple platformer (3D or Pseudo-3D AKA 2.5D)

Past Experience: Visual Basic Programming, Basic C++ Skills

How much time do I have?: Not much. I need something that's easy enough to learn to make it a nice part-time. If you also have books for it, it'd be better.

How much can I spend?: "Not much" seems a nice answer. I want something that deserves it's price tag.

My doubts are:
1 - Should I get Darkbasic Classic or Dark Basic Pro? (or other, please specify)
2 - About the add-ons, are there any real musts or for a simple platformer they are not needed?

Thanks for all the help.

Check this out: http://donations.com.sapo.pt/
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 00:02
Just forget about Darkbasic Classic, Darkbasic Pro is far better without being more difficult.

You don't need any add-ons for a simple platformer, but there are very good free plugins on the forum for better collisions, 2D drawing and so on.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 00:03
Since you have some C++ skills, maybe DarkGDK is an alternative?

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure about DarkGDK, because of a couple of things:

1 - My C++ skills are just very basic;
2 - Would require more time (?);

I have some questions though:

1 - Is DarkGDK really game oriented?
2 - Is DarkBasicPro really so hard to get good performance?

Thanks.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 12:22
I dont know about DarkGDK because i know nothing about C++
but for DarkBasicPro, its actually quite easy to get started. Its easy enough to use, ive found it quick to learn, though reading forums, tutorials etc do help a lot, and you can get good quality out of it.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I also have another doubt (it seems that DBPro it is).

What's the best way to start? Books (if so, which do you recomend)?

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 12:37
I havent used a book at all yet and im feeling fairly competent (at some things anyway )
I just found that searching this forum, reading some threads, and downloading some code off the codebase, and some messing about works fine. Oh and also, keep practising your skills, make a game, or join in the dbpro/dbc coding challenges.
This maybe isnt the best way to do it if your trying to learn quickly but it builds up your skills bit by bit and it worked for me =)

if your more serious then a book will work as well as the forums. Book wise i would pick "Hands on DBPro volumes 1 and 2" by Alistair Stewart as it seems fairly well recommended.

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 13:52
I've been using DarkBASIC Pro. since 2004, and I still don't know it front to back. But that's not saying much, programming is not my primary occupation. I'm not trying to discourage you, its just quite powerful.

Anyway I learned it by just by reading other peoples code, writing my own code, lots of trial and error, one book, reading these forums and reading lots of articles online.

What you get from it is proportional to what you put into it. If you study lots, you will know lots. If you use it lots you will learn much; just like most things in life.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 22:56
Quote: "1 - Is DarkGDK really game oriented?"

IIRC, DarkGDK is not Object oriented although there are a few wrappers that make it more OOP.

pollywog
Years of Service
User Offline
since you program visual basic / C++ I'm assuming your comfortable with visual studio and OO.
so you might want to try XNA. Its a free download addition to your visual studiou suite, Its pretty cool you can even write games for your xbox with it.
logical sifter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 06:11
Yah i'm haveing a hard time learning DB pro too.I bought the program like 3 days ago, and how i learned to start was just read read read and more reading just like Monk said "searching this forum, reading some threads, and downloading some code off the codebase" and play around with the codeing and so far i'm understanding this powerfull program slowly but in time i'll get it. So keep your head up bdgbdg.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:20:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:20:32