Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Isometric Map for Beginners

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 16:57 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 16:58
I have a small dusty project I found in my files that I've recently touched up to a pseudo-functional state, and hope to work on more over the course of time. But anyway, I thought I would post it here for those who learn by reading code.

Here is a recent screen shot.

And here is my to do list.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 01:46
I am interested in creating an isometric engine in the GDK. How do you plan to handle lighting?

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 11:24 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 11:25
I don't know for sure yet, but I was thinking of overlaying an alphaed image mask for darkness. Then dynamically set the alpha ranges and the color, but I'm not at that stage yet. and have no idea how much CPU that will eat.

EDIT: I use GDK now, as I am familiar with C++. Perhaps we should collaborate.
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Pillarofire you are a Saint! this is just what I have been looking for! Thank you so much~

Always~
Vickie

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Was looking for something similar to this as well.

Went to compile and it threw an error about "hitimer(60)". hitimer() isnt declared anywhere, is it a DLL command or is there a lib file missing?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 20:38
its from IanM's matrix utility plugin.

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 20:38 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2009 20:42
yeah I got the same error, this is a DBpro project right?

EDIT:
=PRoF= you posted the same time I did LOL! thanks for the info~

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 20:40
*points to my previous comment*

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 23:19
If you don't want to download IanM's Matrix1 Utilities (though I don't see why you wouldn't want them) I believe hitimer( ) can be replaced by DBP's perftimer( ).

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 23:33
@Pillarofire

youve probably already seen this, but gamedev.net has an excellent resource for isometric lighting... it even has pseudocode:http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article749.asp

"They say beer will make me dumb / It are go good with pizza" - Psychostick
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 01:44
Quote: "hitimer( ) can be replaced by DBP's perftimer( )."

No it doesn't, just use timer(). Although nothing replaces hitimer(60), that sets it to 1/x second each tick counts for. But hitimer() is a (much better!) replacement for timer(). I use it everywhere.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 03:58
Quote: "No it doesn't, just use timer(). Although nothing replaces hitimer(60), that sets it to 1/x second each tick counts for. But hitimer() is a (much better!) replacement for timer(). I use it everywhere."

Ahh, sorry, I was under the impression that hi-timer was nothing more than a more accurate version of timer( ), but apparently there's an optional parameter I was unaware of.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 13:37
Well my point was that while perftimer() has a higher resolution timer, it is variable among many computers (i.e. 1000 ticks on your PC is different than 1000 ticks on another PC). So you have to do some special timing steps at the beginning of your code for those numbers to make sense.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 15:55
Well, I have been rather busy of late with my real job, thus the reason for my absence. Anyway, yes the hitimer() function is from IanM's awesome Matrix1 Utilities. I like its flexibility and its apparently quite accurate. At the moment the timer in the code does nothing useful, so commenting/deleting it out will still allow all the functionality currently in the system, to run properly. Though if you don't have it, I really recommend getting the plug-in, its very useful. Find it Here: http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk/

Many thanks to IanM.

And apologies for all the confusion.

@Vickie:
Thank you; its an honor.

@Coldfire:
GameDev.net: great resource.
Been there once or twice, have not read this article. thanks for the heads up.

@Everyone else:
I'm geared to work on this project over the next two weeks. Hopefully my plans won't change this time...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:27:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:27:31