Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Clamp down? Maybe more productivity?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 22:47
Don't take this the wrong way but you get what maybe 5 posts per day on this forum?

Maybe instead of clamping down maybe inspire people to be more productive? Maybe the administration here could work on some tutorials?

Clamping down? I had a previous thread locked that displayed good news and the reason it was locked was because it was probably going to be posted in another thread.... Is this what we\'re going to see more of?
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 00:30 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 00:30
I agree...if there were official tutorials or something there would be far less "How do I do ___" topics. And I mean tutorials on custom media and stuff like that, not how to use X10 as we already have those.
This X10 forum is pretty slow, that's why I don't post here so often...

A picture says a thousand words.
-- H.K. --
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 01:03
If you look at the community forum though we get about 20 - 50 posts and hour now they just dont liek the TGC boards like that little thread we had going proved Jingle Fett knows the one i mean. It proved how much people hate posting hear and any mods here trust me it will do you good to read it.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 22:57
Maybe we need more example of how x10 can be used? I mean i see like ragdoll demos on youtube but that isn't really helpful. maybe more good games to use as an example.

Well when the end of march rolls around i hope to have x10, then i can put some of my stock-media skills ta use on my many ideas.

pretty levels=more ppl interested (or just wanting to better u)

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 02:58 Edited at: 27th Jan 2009 03:20
Yeah, it's true, we pretty much proved what the public opinion of these forums is...

(To anyone who reads this) If you need more examples of how X10 can be used or whatever you should check out the other X10 forum, we've got good stuff going on there. People don't really showcase stuff that much around here... We on the other hand have got some rather pretty-looking levels that are being worked on or are finished and a surprisingly high amount of custom media floating around...

http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=138
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=197
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=201
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34

Take your pick.
There are many others too, these are only a few of them...And we have quite a few games in progress, most of which look quite promising (they all look better than most X9 games anyways). I think it says something about how things are around here, the fact that Jason's forum is so much more active than this one...despite the fact that this is the "official" one. Oh well...
Most of the users there are also more than happy to help out new users in getting started or getting help (that means no nasty "read the manual"/"you're a noob" responses)

@ crumbaker
I think you should join Jason's X10 forum.. It's a whole lot more interesting and helpful in my opinion...
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/forum/index.php

-- H.K. --
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 02:03
If any of you guys have the knowledge, time and want to make some tutorials thats fine - I am sure everyone would like to see them - carry on.

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 03:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 03:06
Fair enough. It just so happens that I have, in fact, written a tutorial. Take a look at my Relief Mapping Tutorial on the X10 community forum. It explains more or less how to make relief maps and how to get them to work in X10.

What my problem is, is the fact that there are too few other tutorials on X10, and no official ones. This knowledge should have been given to us from the beginning. How can new users be expected to make new and custom content if nobody knows how? Personally, I think it's sad that the community is forced to find these things out for ourselves with no way to figure it out other than trial and error. The knowledge of certain functions/custom media in X10 simply doesn't exist yet, at least as far as the community goes. The only reason people know how to do normal/specular maps and get them into X10 is because Nomad Soul made the texturing tutorial, and until he did write it nobody was able to do it. In fact, I'll go as far out as to say that without that one tutorial, we would have almost no custom content at all (we as in both this forum AND the community forum). Thanks to this one tutorial, even new users can make segments that nobody has seen before. We need more tutorials like that. And unfortunately the only way to do that is by spending hours trying to figure it out. Or get official tutorials.

-- H.K. --
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 09:13 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 09:35
Jingle are you reading my mind?

Imagine an easy way to import your own weapons or characters. Think about how long this has been out and as far as I know nobody has figured out how to put a weapon into this game. I got close (there's a thread and I posted pictures of every step) but failed in the end.

Lee for the love of god read this; we need more official tutorials. You can post them on youtube and I guarantee it would get a ton of people to buy this software.

edit: also as to that other forum I wouldn't consider it after the owner threw a fit about someone else trying to start there own fpsc x10 forum, and the mods over there are far too eager to lock stuff and ban people. Let alone I couldn't show you guys something I made in zbrush because it is not yet fpsc rdy (I'll worry about making it rdy when I can come close to making a game in x10). I go to a forum to contribute, not to be bossed around.

I really have no idea why you all migrated over there in the first place. Generally that happens when the official forums are too strict or the forum is far too busy. With the community forum being more strict I say no thanks.
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 01:11
I don't use FPSC X10 (DBPer) I just want to say that I think finding out how to do new things is part of the fun. DBP has, I believe, 1 official tutorial and that didn't stop people from buying it and doing new things with it(maybe things Lee didn't even imagine could be done). Now there are a bunch of user tutorials and things I can't even believe were done in dbp. I mean don't you find it exciting to do something no one has ever done before?

Sure it would be nice to have a couple simple tutorials on how to do things in fpsc X10, but wouldn't you rather have Lee update X10 first?

I'll also tell you the truth about something, when I first got dbp there were plenty of user tutorials and I didn't read any of them. I like the hands on thing, trying it out for myself rather than reading a tutorial just to duplicate something hundreds of other people did.

I know reading tutorials helps you learn faster (most of the time), but I think FPSC was made simple enough to allow you to jump in and experiment.

But that's my opinion.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 02:32
I think comparing DBP and X10 is an apples and oranges comparison. Don't forget that people get X10 because they don't want to program. They want to assemble parts and make their stories/missions come to life. Granted, there are many people who aren't serious about marketing a game and they do love to just tinker around and figure things out. But I would think people would rather invest more time in actually making a cool weapon rather than figuring out how to get it into the game.

Look at Torque. They have dozens and dozens of tools to help developers. Not just a weapons pack, but a utility to create custom weapons ready for use with the torque engine.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

http://www.fpscx10-online.com
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 03:08
I know people get X10 because they might not want to program, but I wasn't really talking about programming specifically, just playing around with things to make something new.

Quote: "But I would think people would rather invest more time in actually making a cool weapon rather than figuring out how to get it into the game."

Yes I think people would, however I once you figure out how to get it into the game once it should be a piece of cake the second and third time you do it. It would be nice if a tool did it for you, but from my understanding of FPSC, everything has a script so you can copy scripts over and change a few of the values. Maybe even make a template script.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 17:09
Or! And here's the crazy part. You make a utility app to do it and sell it for $20. Then those who want to tinker and figure it out can. And those who don't can move on. Sound like everyone wins. TGC makes some money, and all users are taken care of. It's crazy I know. The whole concept of giving people what they want. But it's working for others.

The other upside is that if more people could easily create content, they might consider selling it in the TGC store. That would be more money for TGC. Not enough resources to create the app? Well, you could always do a series of tutorials instead. Or contract out the app. I think the payback would be pretty quick. imho

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 00:06
Quote: "Or! And here's the crazy part. You make a utility app to do it and sell it for $20. Then those who want to tinker and figure it out can. And those who don't can move on. Sound like everyone wins. TGC makes some money, and all users are taken care of. It's crazy I know. The whole concept of giving people what they want. But it's working for others."

Who knows if people will buy it, I mean when they first told people they would have to buy X10 instead of getting it as a free upgrade there were many people who complained about that. Who knows if people will complain about not getting this app for free (even when the original FPSC tools were free). It does take a fair amount of resources to make a good app and contracting it out could be more trouble than its worth (when the X10 users are a bit low, I don't know how many there are but I'm betting its not higher than the original FPSC user base).

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 07:52
Quote: "Who knows if people will buy it, I mean when they first told people they would have to buy X10 instead of getting it as a free upgrade there were many people who complained about that. Who knows if people will complain about not getting this app for free (even when the original FPSC tools were free). It does take a fair amount of resources to make a good app and contracting it out could be more trouble than its worth (when the X10 users are a bit low, I don't know how many there are but I'm betting its not higher than the original FPSC user base)."

I would buy it in a second although it should be free. I don't buy software, especially software that is targeted as being easy to use without programming, to figure things out. I buy it for a purpose. Your argument has no validity, especially for a program like this.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 08:11
Since the migration version is coming. It would be an app that would be germane to the entire community. As far as who knows, I would say that there will always be complaints. And if you look at other engines you can see there's a market for such tools. When McDonalds started selling salads, Burger King didn't need to do research on the market for salads.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2009 23:31
Quote: "I would buy it in a second although it should be free. I don't buy software, especially software that is targeted as being easy to use without programming, to figure things out. I buy it for a purpose. Your argument has no validity, especially for a program like this."

It is easy to use without programming and you could make a full game with it without writing a single script (of course that would be all stock). Although I'm sure Lee will make it easier to use without programming (getting in custom media with tools and such), but until that day comes you'll have to do some of the harder stuff if you want to do the more advance stuff.

Quote: "Since the migration version is coming. It would be an app that would be germane to the entire community. As far as who knows, I would say that there will always be complaints. And if you look at other engines you can see there's a market for such tools. When McDonalds started selling salads, Burger King didn't need to do research on the market for salads.
"

Yeah there is a market for tools that make things easier, but X10 currently has a pretty small target audience so TGC are probably doing things that have a higher priority like updating X10 instead of making tools for it.

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2009 03:21 Edited at: 31st Jan 2009 03:30
Quote: "Yeah there is a market for tools that make things easier, but X10 currently has a pretty small target audience so TGC are probably doing things that have a higher priority like updating X10 instead of making tools for it."

Given that X10 was supposed to replace X9, I don't see how that makes sense. Unless it is properly supported, the audience will always be small. One of the points of this thread is to make it known that one of the priorities SHOULD be making tools or tutorials--that this issue is almost as important as some of the bugs that are being fixed.

X10 is easy to use, but nobody is disputing that. There simply is no knowledge from anyone about some of the higher functions. In other words we don't even have a place to start. A lot of the higher functions don't require programming, you just need to know how to do them. And neither we nor anyone else knows how to use them. Since you keep comparing X10 to programming, let me make a more accurate comparison. Making a new program in DBP in X10 the equivalent is making an FPS game, yes? Writing your own AI or something similar in DBP (something like a sub program or something like that) in X10 the equivalent is custom media and scripts.
Now think of it this way--DBP says it can do this this and this, but for those sub programs, you can only create certain ones and it is impossible to create your own versions of the higher-end ones because the commands that those sub-programs would need in order to function are completely unknown, there's no description or even a list. Instead, you're limited to using only the examples of those sub-programs that were included with it.

That's more or less the X10 situation. We can't make sub-programs (which is the metaphor for weapons, certain custom media and a bunch of the higher functions) because there's no way to even find out how to use them. There aren't any tutorials, no prior reference of any kind. The only way to figure it out would be to start pluging in random commands to see if you could re-create that sub-program and you would do that, not even knowing if the commands you're plugging in are even real commands AND you have no debug system. (Lee has said that a debug system is going to be implemented however, so some of the problem is being addressed)

So yes, I think we really need tutorials or some means to at least know how create/import the custom media that we're supposed to be able to import. And X10, this particular engine sacrifices the ability to have custom features in exchange for ease of use (which I'm not complaining about, I don't have a problem with that). What that means however is that we're limited to the game-play features we can have--basically to a certain extent, all X10 (or even unmodded X9) are the same gameplay-wise (you can't have vehicles and stuff like that). But what THAT means is that the only way an X10 game can truly be unique (being something that nobody has seen before) is through custom media--the one aspect that is truly custom and is mainly limited to the artist, not the engine (the only other aspect that is like this is scripting). So do you see the problem? We have no way to access the very features that allow us to make things that nobody has seen before, or else we don't know how or have any way of finding out.

Of course, this is why I'm so relieved that Lee is giving X10 attention right now so I'm thankful for that.

-- H.K. --
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2009 07:19
Quote: "Given that X10 was supposed to replace X9, I don't see how that makes sense. Unless it is properly supported, the audience will always be small. One of the points of this thread is to make it known that one of the priorities SHOULD be making tools or tutorials--that this issue is almost as important as some of the bugs that are being fixed."

It is almost as important as some of the bugs in X10. My point isn't really if there should be tools or not, but that there are more important things to be done and you could be doing more important things too. I'm sure Lee knows (at least now) that you need some tools or some info on how to do things (yeah it does suck you don't have any info on it, I agree on that...should have seen the some of the docs of dbp before Lee did some updating).

I'm not trying to convince you that you don't need tools (hopefully I didn't sound like that), but that you don't need everything done for you. Now I wasn't trying to compare programming to X10 (hope I didn't sound like that either) rather dbp as a product to X10. There were many of people who went out trying the obscure functions of dbp to see what they did and tried new things. With X10 as a new product there are probably a few things not done yet, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. You have to be the pioneers and be the first to do it to show it can be done. I'm sure there were a few FPSCX9er's who have done that when FPSCX9 first came out.

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2009 15:23 Edited at: 31st Jan 2009 18:27
I'm guess, but it seems like the first wave of tools (Character Studio, Entity Maker, Segment Editor) were utilities that TGC used themselves. Unfortunately none of them were very polished. But it's clear that TGC thought that there was a need.

So we have some useful base code that just needed to be debugged. Maybe if TGC thought about putting those tools along with a few new ones together, they could have sold it as a package rather than give it away for free.

IMHO, FPSC has been held back by the lack of success with it's users. Very few have completed a game. Of those few, a very small number of them have gotten any attention with their games. To me it's clear. If a fair number of people created successful independent games, more people would want to give it a goal with the tools that were used. When you go to other engines, you'll see that part of their marketing is talking about the great games created with their product. Here at TGC all you really get is a small screen shot on the front page of the website.

I think the frustration point is that there are content creators who made some great stuff for X10. I don't know if they are employees, contractors, or some other combination. But clearly they have the know-how and the process to get content working perfecting in X10. At a minimum the community would like tutorials to empower them to do the same. At best the community would appreciate working utilities to automate much of the work. I'd love to spend the time to figure it out. But it most likely will take me a ton of time and frustration with no guarantee of success. Where as the person who created the Chugshot could probably take 3 days to write out a decent tutorial.

EDIT: I just now saw this thread......
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143133&b=21

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 00:27
Quote: "EDIT: I just now saw this thread......
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143133&b=21"

Sadly those are all x9 tools
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 01:08
Yeah it can get frustrating, maybe someone with enough patience will do it. I'd do it, but I don't have X10 (I was actually suppose to get X10 from the U-Decide survey but they haven't said anything to me yet, Oh well).

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 03:48
I'm not sure if it matters much. It doesn't sound like those tools do anything new. Okay, with the exception of actually putting your files in the directory structure. But if you have Signs or MagicFPS, you aren't really getting much more. Just the standard FPE generating etc.

What's funny is that the author said no X10, but that he will have a version for the migration. The Migration will just have X10 and X9 formats! So the code for X10 would still be needed for the Migration version.

crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 08:35 Edited at: 1st Feb 2009 08:35
Quote: "Yeah it can get frustrating, maybe someone with enough patience will do it. I'd do it, but I don't have X10 (I was actually suppose to get X10 from the U-Decide survey but they haven't said anything to me yet, Oh well)."

Lol you don't even own x10? Why are you taking part in this discussion?
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 20:04
To show my point of view, I can't take part in the discussion?

Btw, I did mention I didn't own X10 in my first post and I owned dbp.

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 21:37 Edited at: 4th Feb 2009 01:40
Quote: "It is almost as important as some of the bugs in X10. My point isn't really if there should be tools or not, but that there are more important things to be done and you could be doing more important things too. I'm sure Lee knows (at least now) that you need some tools or some info on how to do things (yeah it does suck you don't have any info on it, I agree on that...should have seen the some of the docs of dbp before Lee did some updating).

I'm not trying to convince you that you don't need tools (hopefully I didn't sound like that), but that you don't need everything done for you. Now I wasn't trying to compare programming to X10 (hope I didn't sound like that either) rather dbp as a product to X10. There were many of people who went out trying the obscure functions of dbp to see what they did and tried new things. With X10 as a new product there are probably a few things not done yet, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. You have to be the pioneers and be the first to do it to show it can be done. I'm sure there were a few FPSCX9er's who have done that when FPSCX9 first came out."

One of the points I'm trying to make, both on this topic and a few others is the fact that I at least (as I can only speak for myself) AM doing better things with my time and I AM doing things on my own and yet I STILL think it's an issue. I anticipated this very argument a long time ago when I first signed up on this forum; if I start complaining about problems, people would say something along the lines of "so just because of that you're not going to do anything?"
That is why I have been doing stuff and have been keeping myself busy. My point is that I AM doing the things you said I should be doing and I still think that this issue is a problem. The reason I'm responding a bit more heatedly than I normally would is because you seem to be assuming that we're not doing anything because we don't have tutorials or whatever; that's what you imply when you say "you don't need everything done for you". I can assure you that the complaints wouldn't be so serious if that were not the case.

(again I can only speak for myself as to all the things that I've just said, but I'm sure that others would agree as I have seen some of the things that users are doing in X10, and some of it's pretty impressive).

-- H.K. --
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 05:30
I was saying people should attempt doing things not done before because that is how you progress. When I said "you don't need everything done for you" I meant new things because the fastest way it will come out is from the community. Such as the dbp community, a lot of things we know come from the users who did it first. Even on the FPSC side, look at Bond1 who has really pushed the limits of FPSC with his custom shaders.

If you are trying new things good for you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:50:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:50:24