Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Some advice requested on limits in DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am writing an application to take information from a ground modelling package for visualisation. Is there a limit on the number of objects, meshes,limbs etc that DBPro can handle or is it just limited by memory ?

Thanks for the help

Alan
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 16:22
I think Dbpro uses an integer value(4bytes) for the identifier of any identifier. It is either an integer or a word(2 bytes). If it is 4 bytes then you have nothing to worry about except memory but if it is 2 bytes then you are limited to 65535 of each entity (excepting lights).

If i am not right then somebody feel free to correct me.

"We are getting aggravated"
"Yes, we are"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2003 20:00
It is 4 bytes used to store the object number in DBP which equals about 4 billion theoretically as your upper number.

Realistically speaking, you could handle about 100 detailed objects onscreen at once with a reasonable FPS on an average PC.

This depends on a lot of factors though - such as model complexity, how you do collision in your scene, how much CPU time is required for AI etc, etc.

The PC is what really sets DBP's performance.

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 00:03
not only the pc. Also it is important to program efficiently as to save memory. Make sure you hide objects not in view and dont calculate collision on them and you will save time. After all, there is no point in calculating distances you cannot see unless its something that will directly affect gameplay (enemy bullets, enemy entities etc.)

"We are getting aggravated"
"Yes, we are"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 00:30
^^ that's not memory you are worried about saving - you mean not doing unnecessary calculations, which is different

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:44:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:44:06