Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / RTS game help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm really really new to DarkBasic and the most complex thing i've created so far is a calculator. What I really want to do is make an RTS game based on the civil war and I was wondering if anybody could teach me? The whole apprentice master thing sounds dorky and it doesn't have to be that serious, pointers, tips, and guides are really all I need.
Gatorules
Years of Service
User Offline
the way i learned was just to read the function list and select which one i needed and how to use. The best way to learn in my opinion is to expirement but im sure if that doesnt work for you there are tutorials on this site.

as far as how i would actually program it i would build some 3d objects: enemies, terrain, weapons, effects, etc. when i make 3d games i also use the camera as the player but you can also make a fully animated character which will take hours then tell the camera to follow the character. then i would make a movement system for the game such as:

if you want to use an object as your character just use the object commands which are almost identical to these.
also you will need a system to look around such as this which is what i always use:

of course you need enemies so you will need to program these but i will not go into great detail because this can get very complicated. but you will need some AI that does the following:
-shoot at your character
-walk or patrol the area
-if your character gets close look around
-if see your character point at him with gun animation
-die if get shot too much
you will also need weapons, health packs, etc that you can pick up from the ground. you can accomplish this by something like this:

i am guessing since you are a beginner you cant accomplish all of this but maybe you could experience with bits and pieces of it. hope this helps.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 22:31
Read through my RTS tutorial: http://dbcc.zimnox.com/?page=tutorials

You can also read other peoples' feedback in the thread stickied at the top of the code snippets board.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 23:01
Um, Gatorules, I'm pretty sure DBNewguy is looking for help getting started with DBPro, not DGDK. He'd have to translate that before any of it would run in the DBPro editor...
pollywog
Years of Service
User Offline
I found those hands on dark basic books great.
I still use them all the time as a reference.
they were a bit pricey though but I think well worth it.
DBNewguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ty for all the posts! I'll look into it!

the new guy on the..... web....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:23:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:23:32