Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wbsite ideas?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 17:09
or .tk

If your short of money, i'd recommend a .co.uk (theyre only £3). How much are .com.au's?

iv'e decided to make theMediaBase in ASP now instead, as it's faster, and i have half a year left on an ASP account thats just been wasting away.

Plus, for Perl i'd be using text documents to hold all the data (as much as i try, i just dont get how to use Perl with MySQL )

But with ASP i'll just use a nice fast and easy MS Access database

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 08:37
I believe .au's are around $20 so I'd probably be better off just getting .co.uk anyway although Domain's aren't really the problem. The thing I'm really in trouble with is finding a good, cheap, server that supports PHP and MySQL but unfortunately that isn't easy.

The only real problem with ASP is that it's not widely supported by a variety of browsers although I could be wrong lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 22:22
ASP is supported in every browser that can support HTML (which is all browsers i guess ), just like PHP, Perl, etc.

These are all server-side languages (i.e., the server compiles the ASP code, then spits out HTML code to the client browser. Same in PHP etc.).

Things like Javascript are client-side languages, i.e. the client computer compiles the code. For client-side languages, the client computer has to be able to compile the language.

Anyway, how much are you aiming to spend per month on a hosting account? I might be able to help you.

Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 22:57
Shock's right. Anything that can send to HTML can be used as a server-side scripting engine. Actually, I have a retrofitted QBASIC CGI engine that passes info thru a small gateway written in VisualBASIC.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:19:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:19:09