Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DarkBasic Security Wizard 2009

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 13:32 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 13:44
Hi, I've got lots of these little util's for DarkBasic which i have made over the years, this one is one that automatically adds Demo Capabilities to any programme made in DarkBasic, Demo Modes are Time based, (Up to 30 Days), and usage Based (up to 99 Usages), I'm looking for advice on other abilities you think a program like this should have.

This Wizard adds about 3mb to the Size of your Programme, If access is denied, (say if Demo Ended), then it will also end your programme, unless a Valid Activation Code has been entered.

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 14:13
someone should try this and "hack test" it 2 make sure its secure

Your mod has been erased by the signature
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 14:19 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 14:43
I've tried hacking it myself, which as i know exactly how it works, i think that gave me an advantage, the only way i managed to do it was to change the windows time back after demo ended, So i've now fixed this, I've also loaded the Security Program it adds to Projects in programs like RezHack, to make sure nothing inside is Visible, I tried to edit it which led to a 3 Byte Increase in size, and it recognized that it was no longer the original version and gave the appropriate warning.

I'll post an example of it at some point, you can try and hack it if you want, If that's your thing
First I want to change how strings are stored internally, so there not containing complete activation codes in a Single String, Unless there encrypted, (make it a bit Harder)

Edit: For a start this is how the Security is called

Every Time the Wizard is Run, All the Security Strings are changed, And will be of a Different Lenth, And may use a Different method to Encrypt, (I have 5 different methods in use in this one programme), Mutex and Bank names are also Changed so unless you give someone the string in Execute File to work from, they should not be able to guess it, Also every code uses a different method to Encrypt.

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 18:11 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 18:13
yeh I've had a little play with it 2 see if i can get around the security but so far its beaten me.

When this has been tested and a few people have had a go at hacking it and its rock solid u should sell it on the TGC website along with all the other plugins.

also another tip, do not name your software with a year after it (eg 2009), what happens if this becomes hugely popular but it doesn't need updating by the time the year is out? i would call it with its version number (eg Windows 7, Paint Shop Pro 8, that kinda stuff)

Your mod has been erased by the signature
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 18:37
10% is a little high for payment processing don't you think?

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 19:09 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 19:24
10% Proberly is a bit high, but the idea of using a method like this was i deal with issuing new activation codes, Forgotten Codes, Ect, that way i could release the Program for free, I have no Idea was a reasonable amount is though so any ideas?

I will be adding an option so it just sends all Activation Code Requests, Forgotten Code Requests, As well as any Payments straight to you, but this way you have to constantly check your emails, And I assume some people just want to code for fun.

Anyway, I've noticed that most games made on DarkBasic are small 3D/Platform/Board games, Adding this would instantly add a 30 day trial, plus an option to charge a bit to remove Limits, if i made this a few years ago I would have use it for Small £1 Games, But i Wouldn't of wanted to mess around with Issuing Activation Codes, But i can change the payment section if needed if you think this method would not work.

The only problem with this so far, is once you have compiled and released your game, you can't change price, or your eMail Address, If I where to do Activation Code, Ect, Then I could change eMail Only, But Not Price as that's Compiled with the Game in the Security Function Above, (You cant see it as thats encrypted aswell).

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 19:54
I haven't looked recently, but last time I checked PayPal charges about 2-3% per transaction. Of course, since this is a one-time charge a little more isn't that bad.

The need to recompile to change the price or the email address probably isn't a big deal. You can probably figure people will use it once they download it, so figure that version is out of date in 30-45 days once you compile a new one.

The next question that comes to mind though, once the application has been paid for and unlocked, what if you issue a patch to the app? How does that affect the security portion? Would they have to unlock it again?

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 20:04 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 20:19
Here is the Security Function you add in your App

in here is the line EXECUTE FILE which is passing a Unique Password, In the function above it is This

As long as you copy this Unique Password to your new patched EXE, the same Activation Codes will be Valid, So if they have Activated it Already, Then they will not need to do it again, Due to changes, (This was generated on my old version), The password is about twice as long, But the same applies.

And I got an email a while ago stating how Charges where being removed, from what i understand they where there due to problems exchanging between different currency's, But i may be wrong.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 23:59 Edited at: 30th Jan 2009 00:04
I can see a way to get past this, but I won't post it in case people use it
(It does require extensive knowledge of how DBPro works though, and I doubt there are many people who could work it out...)

edit:
Could you post an app that shows a secret message, but has a limit of 0 uses, so that I can check if this method would work (and tell you if it does, so you can fix it!)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 04:41
So are you selling this now? You said in an earlier post you might give it away for free.
If you are selling it, how much is it, and where can I get it?

If the good lord had intended us to go outside or have a social life, he wouldn't have invented the internet.
www.threeswordsproductions.com
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 16:45 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 16:48
Hi, Sorry i haven't posted for a While, Haven't had time to work on it, but back again, This is still a WIP, But it is working, I've made some changes to the Security Password so now it looks something like this

, (Warning, Its Very Long)

This is one it Generated, Its this long as now its also sending some additional details, Like your eMail Address payments are to be sent to, I've made sure these are as Encrypted as i could get them, Hence the Lenth, I'm currently altering the Security.exe Program to try and Decrypt the Info, (Its giving me a Headache), Also there are 6 Form Layouts, Only 1 to 4 are done so are, but adding the other two is the easy part, so ill do them later.

Will post EXE Example when new Decrypt Done.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
You know, this product is awesome. I can not find anything similar for under 259 dollars except zapper, which doesn't function and the guy who made it insults you when you ask for help, according to a CNET review...

If you check my WIP, you'll know that I'm going to be in the market for this type of software within a couple months. (Hired my brother to make music, look up Trial Run on myspace to find his latest) Anyway I'm bumping this to try and encourage you to finish, hehe.

I used to write encryption, but have no idea how wrappers like this work. Diggsey, what astala___uknow site did you get your knowledge from? if any. hehe. good luck!

Signed
------

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:29:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:29:32