Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I'm addicted!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I admit it. Time to come clean.

Lately I've been finding myself wasting more time here browsing threads in every forum than I have programming. It's becoming an addiction - every time I wake my computer up, it's so easy to click Internet Explorer in Quick Launch and then click DarkBASIC Professional Home in the links bar. SO, I've deleted the link (for now) and have decided to take a leave of absence and spend more time doing productive things.

I propose some of you do the same. *cough*Solidz*cough* It's very easy to just sit around here and do nothing. I'm sick of wasting time, and even as I sit here and type this I'm wasting it - so I guess - yeah.
SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 05:02
I'm also taking a leave of absence. Well, I'm just trying to spend less time on the forums.

Jenny: New Recruit to Police Force Jacob: Jenny's Associate
Problem? You may soon find out. "It could take the world."
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 05:02
Hey join the club!

I have some projects I want to work on, but I'm kinda waiting for U5, but now it looks like I'll have to wait till U6 or even U7.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Visit my site!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 05:12
I'm waiting to get DBP! Will order it soon...

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Quote: "Life Is Short" That's a bummer
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 05:40 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2003 05:41
Quote: "Lately I've been finding myself wasting more time here browsing threads in every forum than I have programming. It's becoming an addiction - every time I wake my computer up, it's so easy to click Internet Explorer in Quick Launch and then click DarkBASIC Professional Home in the links bar. SO, I've deleted the link (for now) and have decided to take a leave of absence and spend more time doing productive things.

I propose some of you do the same. *cough*Solidz*cough* It's very easy to just sit around here and do nothing. I'm sick of wasting time, and even as I sit here and type this I'm wasting it - so I guess - yeah."

That's the same here with the exception that my Link on the link bar says "DBP Forums".

*Bows head in shame*

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 06:10
... whilst we're admiting addictions ...
i have a very deep dark secret addiction i'd like to share

:: stands up ::
Hi, my name is Raven and i'm addicted to...
i'm addicted to..
i'm addicted to pokémon :: breaks down crying ::

i try to turn it off, but i found myself playing more and more... even resorting to the wall plug to so that i never disconnect from the game. Spending hours saying "i'll just catch this one illusive pokémon and then i'll turn it off..."
but that next pokémon never really comes does he...

:: hangs head in shame :: ... :: switches on his GBA again ::

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 06:52
Ruby or Saphirre?

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 07:01
The pokemon games are pretty good when you think about it.(The card
game was alright too.) The tv show, and just about everything else pokemon is what annoys me most.

Jenny: New Recruit to Police Force Jacob: Jenny's Associate
Problem? You may soon find out. "It could take the world."
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 07:04
Quote: "The tv show, and just about everything else pokemon is what annoys me most.

"

don't get me started...t he same damn thing every episodes.

"oh my god, Team rocket has that little yellow rat"
"hahahah we have him"
and then a talking cat"heheheheheh"

so on for over 100 eps

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 07:30
Lol I played the original pokemon games - they were fun. Had the cards 2 - sold em at school a lot. Still have lots of em....I have the complete original set Dont do anything like that anymore tho

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 07:31
Yeah, when my little brother used to watch it I noticed they had the same basic story outline for every episode as well:

*They battle someone and lose
*Team Rocket attempt to steal pokemon
*They battle the same person a second time and win
*Then they all walk off into the sunset

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 13:50
i've only got Ruby atm... i don't have my obsessed brothers here, so i don't have any master guide or anything to tell me the differences or anything.

i like the new once though cause its not like an extension of the old one - i traveled for like 5hrs before i came across a pokémon which was actually in the original.
and i was quite amazed at the water effects... i mean you have reflections and when you walk in puddles it leaves little waves. you walk on sand or soft ground it leaves footprint.

the graphics this time are pretty quality
still a fully 2d affair, but with the new look menus & some of the things designed to make it look 3D ... i mean forrests look amazing with the picket fences and such.

and the new 2-on-2 battling, certainly not novel but makes it feel more like an RPG doesn't it?

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 15:20
I once was, too, a pokemon master. I have all 150 over them, even had my favs maxed out at LV100. But then came silver and gold, and I had recently moved, and no one else had gold version. I desided then to hang up my poké balls, it's no fun when there's no one to trade/battle with.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 17:34
oh god please not again
I got sappaire ( i cant spell it) for GBA for free, and damn it sucked so hard, in grade 5 i was addicted to pokemona alot but i guess i moved on. sappaire just made me so angry expecially after my big lizard pokemon got beaten up my a fish (ok i aint good at remebering thier names) i traded the cursed game for a copy of my beloved sonic advance 2...and u dont wanna kow how that turned out. I think ill just go out and get golden sun and take it easy for a while.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Wtf? I leave for a few days, and people start to think being addicted to boards & pokemon is bad? eh.....

I'm addicted to teh pokemon games too, actually..It started when I was 11..and it got me learning how to program .. hehe...My board addiction isn't as bad as my "chat" addiction. Can't live without teh chatting......*turns on AIM*........ahh...feels like Morphine

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 19:07
i've been addicted to pokémon since i was what... 14
had it before it was even heard of in the west, though it wasn't simple to play as i didnt know any japanese, so i kinda fumbled through picking up works i could understand.

guess you really have to be an RPG fan to appreciate pokémon - because it really is the most basic rpg you'll come across, very pickup'n'play
i'm still confused about some things of the new one, like all those technicals on the moves.
but its certainly alot of fun ... i got ahold of a good gba emulator for my bro cause he don't have a gba and downloaded the cart.

not quite the same on the PC as it is on the GBA, but still hopefully he'll enjoy it.
i'm gonna continue to swap my savegame between my GBA and PC so i can link up - one thing that bugs me about these new pokémon is that they've taken out the cellphone bits because there are no western adapters for online gameplay...
gonna use the net to swap my monsters instead hehee

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 20:39
Megaton -- Raven hasn't made Fifth Grade yet.

WHEN he was 14 . . . yeah, right.

Pokemon? And you claim to be an adult?

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 20:51
@8truths
If you're going to answer posts, please have something to say. Hijacking someones post just to have a snipe at someone you don't like spoils it for everyone else who *does* want to contribute.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2003 23:19
It happens with good forums. I've expirienced it twice. The best thing to do is make yourself either do other things on the computer, or just take a break. It might seem innocent enough, but you could be doing a whole lot of stuff with those hours you spend refreshing and waiting for a reply to your most recent post.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 00:07
I know, Mouse . . . I'm addicted. Just a different addiction.

Plus, ray-tracing engines take forever to run. Lot of free time. Fortunately, football (the version you play with your hands) season is coming soon . . .

Whatever the case, I promise not to post again in this thread, and I will do my best (Cub Scout honor) to only flame in flame-driven posts (like the q's about Geri post).

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 02:21
i'm playing pokemon ruby, not as fun as te original green one but i still like a bit.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 05:12
I was 17 when I became addicted to pokemon, I think I bought the game when I was 16, but I didn't really get into it untill I found out the kid next played it too.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 06:40
oh damn, my turn for a confession, about 3 years ago back in primary school, I was addicted to poke, I spent alot of my money on the cards and ending as a pooro, but now...now,(evil laugh), now...I totally dislike it(made me poor), I can't believe it how I was so dense into falling for the stupid marketing schemes, thats the thing,

(quote from a friend) these days alot of shows are built around selling things(quote from a friend)

tricking little kids into spending their money...ooh, damn those scheming b!tches

Dreamers-Scars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 07:52
' I can't believe it how I was so dense into falling for the stupid marketing schemes, thats the thing, '

Very smart of you. Yeah, it's really cheap... IMO it should be illegal, but nobody has the nerve or backing to stand up to so many huge corperations.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 08:05
Quote: "It happens with good forums. I've expirienced it twice. The best thing to do is make yourself either do other things on the computer"

Yeah, I'm not so sure about doing something else on the computer though because I'd be programming PHP or something and I'll think to myself, "One quick look at the forums won't hurt" and 2 hours later I'm still browsing. Probably best to just go outside and do something else.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2003 08:25 Edited at: 4th Aug 2003 08:34
lol, I'm on the forumns alot too, don't know why though, I only usually go to the 3d And general threads though

Dreamers-Scars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:37:07