Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Inferno - WARNING: Contains blood, violence, disturbing visuals, suicidal/masochistic themes and blasphemy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 21:51 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 17:58
Edit: full game is available for download here.

For about a month now I've been mucking about with this project, mainly to kill time and take my mind off my exams. Now the exams are over I had half a mind to let it drop out of sight, but it's nearing completion so I figure, why not?

ANOTHER WARNING: This game contains adult material! (Just blood and freakiness - no sex or anything - but it is fairly close to the edge on that front.) Maybe I'm being too cautious, but proceed at your own risk. Seriously, it's pretty gothic.

So. Inferno is a tunnel shooter, drawn almost entirely in black, white, grey and red. The basic idea is that the player is falling through the nine circles of Hell as depicted in Dante's Inferno. You have 2 guns, and you use each gun to shoot at targets of the opposite colour. Each level (ie. circle of hell) has a "boss" at the end. (I've put that word in inverted commas because the "boss fights" aren't really difficult - just freaky.) I don't want to spoil the surprise or anything so I'll say no more. Suffice to say, the bosses become bigger and more difficult as you progress. The emphasis of the game is quick reflexes rather than tactics: as such, the difficulty increases only through giving you less time to shoot stuff before you die.

As you can see, I need to figure out how to put a white-outline cartoon shader on the black gun. I also need to finish coding the basic template of each level. At the moment there's only one level and you can't kill the boss yet, but it's getting there. And once that groundwork is done it should be easy to add further levels.

One last thing - in keeping with the moody tone of the game, goth music seems to go pretty well with it - the problem being that it's all copyrighted. So rather than include music files in-game, I've coded a feature where you can add your own .mp3 files to the music folder, and the game will shuffle them and then play them while you're in-game.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:09
You have any in-game screenshots yet? Since it is nearing completion and all.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2009 22:14
Quote: "One last thing - in keeping with the moody tone of the game, goth music seems to go pretty well with it - the problem being that it's all copyrighted. So rather than include music files in-game, I've coded a feature where you can add your own .mp3 files to the music folder, and the game will shuffle them and then play them while you're in-game."

Just include the music, nobody cares.

Come see the WIP!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 11:52
Quote: "WARNING: Contains blood, violence, disturbing visuals, suicidal/masochistic themes and blasphemy"

I'm dissapointed that this thread contained none of the above

I want robotic legs.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 15:36
It's good that he warns for it, tho'.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Quote: "WARNING: Contains blood, violence, disturbing visuals, suicidal/masochistic themes and blasphemy"

I'm dissapointed that this thread contained none of the above
"

exactly what i thought

Your sig has been erased by a mod again because it's still way taller than 600x120!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2009 20:13 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2009 20:17
Haha, I decided to err on the side of caution with the thread title, yeah. (Though "blasphemy" was just to cover myself in case people get worked up about descending into Hell.) But this is the main reason for all that hullabaloo:

That's the boss "battle": after shooting targets and doing a typing minigame thing, you move on to confront the demon of the current circle of hell. You beat him by slitting your wrist and spraying the blood over his wings, which turn red and fall apart.

It's actually rather discomfiting. I decided to make it so that you slit the wrist by moving the mouse quickly left to right. That then causes the hand that you can see holding the razor to move across the screen, along with a brief flash of red and a "schikk!" noise that fits perfectly. The first time I put it all together and played through that bit, I had a sudden twinge of squeamishness.

Anyway - I've now finished making level 1, so there's 8 left. Most of it is merely a matter of chaging the number, frequency and speed of the targets but I also need to make and animate bosses for each level. Also, does anyone know of any weird psychedelic effects that I might be able to apply to the tunnels? The white circle-symbol on the black background is fine atm, but it might get boring after a few levels.

Quote: "Just include the music, nobody cares."

I am rather tempted - if nobody objects I'll probably just include the music anyway, like you suggest.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 22:16
Very.....gothic/emo game.

Not being mean or anything, this is just....unusual. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

Lookin' nice, Kiwi.

*Salute*
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 22:18
That description made me feel a bit nauseated, lol. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do that - even virtual and in-game, lol.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 02:40
Sounds pretty intense. I like emotionally involving games, even if the emotion is "ew".

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 02:43
This will help me in real life. I like games with real life applications.

PGDO. it consumes my every waking moment, that is not already being eaten by work / school / sleeping
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 13:21
Yo. I have to appologise for mini-flaming you earlier.
This is actually very cool. I love the visual style. I thought that the first 2 shots were concept mock ups. I didn't realise that that was the game.

Very nice. I love the razor idea. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I want robotic legs.
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 15:39 Edited at: 5th Feb 2009 15:42
There is two kind of Emo's, Emo that is just good, Emo that is cut wrist. Those who cut wrist are wannabe emo's, just to point out lol. Also this is really great. Is there plans for demo?

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 19:06
Haha, thanks everyone - it is rather odd but it sort of fits into the strange atmosphere of the game.

Quote: "Yo. I have to appologise for mini-flaming you earlier. "

No problem - you were quite right, I'd neglected to show why I'd actually put that warning up there. I'd kind of wanted to surprise people when they came to play it but perhaps that's not such a good idea after all

Quote: "That description made me feel a bit nauseated, lol. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do that - even virtual and in-game, lol."

Yes, I know what you mean - the blood isn't at all realistic, though: just artsy spirals. But the actual act of cutting is, as Mr Tank put it, "intense". Though I've found that after testing the game countless times, I'm getting used to it - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Quote: "There is two kind of Emo's, Emo that is just good, Emo that is cut wrist."

Haha, that's a very good point - in my defence, the game is fairly strange from the word go: whenever I get an unusual idea for it, I just put it in and think "well, why not?" Hence the Rorschach tests that pop up as split-second loading screens after each level. But you have a good point: if the game was just "cut wrist!!! Blaaah! I hate life!" then it'd be a bit flat.

Not that this game is a postmodern take on the evils of a past society and the need to extricate evil by... uh... shooting it, or anything. But it's more than "cut wrist!" - at least, I hope so!

As for a demo, well, the whole thing isn't going to take very long to play through so I think I'll just release the whole thing when it's done. When that is, is another matter entirely - the main problem is that I have to model and animate each boss. Not difficult, but it's a pain, plus 3D Canvas keeps crashing my computer

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2009 22:22
i love the style very similar to that game killer 7 i think its called

gamer for life
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 00:45 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 17:59
Well, so much for "nearly finished"

However, it is now done!

http://files.filefront.com/infernorar/;13489903;/fileinfo.html

Sorry for the wait. Enjoy!

EDIT: Since filefront is closing, I've uploaded it here.

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 01:28
very interesting game, definitly worth playing because of the interesting atmosphere. I find it frustrating that you always have to restart from the very beginning
How do you come up with all that gothic(?) symbols and phrases? Where have you got them from? Is there any deeper meaning in them?

btw: i played to level 3 and didn't see much blood, violence, disturbing visuals, suicidal/masochistic themes and blasphemy and i really played the game because of the catching title of this thread. I guess i should write this kind off stuff in my threadtitles too...

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 16:02
Definitely a cool game, a little messed up, but fun.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 18:28
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote: "i played to level 3 and didn't see much blood, violence, disturbing visuals, suicidal/masochistic themes and blasphemy"

Haha, well it was mostly in there because of the whole "cut your wrists to beat the boss" thing. I thought people might be surprised when they had to kill someone by spraying blood on them I did err deliberately on the side of caution, though: if I hadn't put the warning in, people might have been offended. ("Blasphemy" was more an afterthought - although the player is falling through hell.) I guess a little part of me wanted to attract attention, but I did want to warn people: as darimc said, it is
Quote: "a little messed up"

Quote: "I find it frustrating that you always have to restart from the very beginning"

Hm, maybe I should have put in a checkpoint system - but I sort of wanted it to feel a little like an arcade game, and to be a very concise, "run through it in one go" experience rather than the sort of thing you'd pick up, play for a bit, stop, carry on later etc. Of course, once you get used to all the "typing phrases", you can go through the game relatively easily - I had to, in order to test it properly!

The imagery was partly inspired by Killer7 and partly by the slightly retro, weird, pixelly feeling of this guy's games:
http://www.cactus-soft.co.nr/ The symbols which pop up before each level were from astronomical charts, I think. (I just googled "symbols" or something.) The levels system is taken from Dante's Inferno (the original Italien poem, not the EA game ) and the nine circles of hell. The typing phrases are taken from the bible. (I wanted to create a contrast between the evil bosses and the virtuous nature of what they were saying: "the devil may cite scripture for his purpose", after all. That's also why they have feathery wings, rather than bat wings.) There's also a cross motif: the crosses used for selection at the main menu, the target reticle, the faces of the bosses, the clock hand and the icon for the executable all have crosses, the idea being that this is sort of a dark nightmare of traditional theology. (No, I'm not religious, but the idea interests me.) To be honest, though, there's not much of a coherent design or message in there: more a series of tangents, all sparked off from one vague vision of bizarrerie and freakiness.

Grasmann
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 02:52 Edited at: 20th Mar 2009 02:53
Mh ... I don´t know

Somehow it seems to me like the inspiration to this was some psychedelic trip ^^ ... I have some experiences that way either XD ... If I´m wrong ... never mind

Indeed, the game is interesting ...

The atmosphere is cool and, as I allready said, more or less exactly what I experienced with different ... ehrm ... lets call it "substances" for now

but in the end not really the kind of game I can have fun with, I think it´s way to linear XD ... while I think that this is most likely exactly what it was meant to be ^^
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 12:51
ah cactus inspired you
I love Mondo medicals. It\'s all based on the f'cked up atmosphere (but i dont get past the level with the rising walls ).
Keep on making games like that! I\'ll definitly play your next one

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 16:47
sorry to say, it doesnt work i can get to and kill the first boss but then my crosshair dissappears and i get shot and die

gamer for life
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 19:13
Quote: "sorry to say, it doesnt work i can get to and kill the first boss but then my crosshair dissappears and i get shot and die
"
It does work, I played it and got far. Just because you can't beat it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 21:47
Quote: "The atmosphere is cool and, as I allready said, more or less exactly what I experienced with different ... ehrm ... lets call it "substances" for now"

Really? I've never taken any, uh... substances stronger than alcohol or painkillers (not at the same time, of course
) - I just went for stuff that seemed freaky and inkeeping with a sort of claustrophobic, punk-arcane atmosphere (if that makes sense).

Quote: "I think it´s way to linear XD ... while I think that this is most likely exactly what it was meant to be ^^ "

Yes, I can see your point - it is, by its very nature, linear, and I always wanted it to be like that. If it's not your cup of tea then I can see why it wouldn't really appeal to you too much

Quote: "ah cactus inspired you"

Ha, yes - the Mondo games, especially, are simply fantastic. Everything coheres into one paranoid, off-kilter experience. I think there really ought to be more games like that - Killer7 is the only mainstream one I know of.

Quote: "sorry to say, it doesnt work i can get to and kill the first boss but then my crosshair dissappears and i get shot and die"

In the second level, the targets appear much faster, of course. (The first level was the equivalent of a short tutorial.)

The crosshair is hidden when you do the blood-boss-battle thing, but reappears when the new level title and level symbol appear (along with the "flourescent light" sound effect). So when the level title appears, try moving the mouse around a bit - the crosshair can sort of get a bit lost while you're doing the boss battle, so you don't know where it is when it reappears. I can't think why your crosshair would disappear when nobody else's has, though - if everything else works alright then I think maybe you just lost the crosshair.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 00:34
no im not saying that i cant shoot them im saying that it glitches, i dont have a crosshair i cant move my guns, i cant shoot and that is why i get shot, please read my post more carefully before you dissmiss it

gamer for life
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "no im not saying that i cant shoot them im saying that it glitches, i dont have a crosshair i cant move my guns, i cant shoot and that is why i get shot, please read my post more carefully before you dissmiss it"

You didn't say half of that in your original post. You just said you lose the crosshair and die. Please be more detailed in your posts.

>.<

Anyways I'll download it later when I don't think anyone will walk in on me and think I'm some disturbed person.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 02:29 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2009 02:30
@Mazz426:

The guns don't actually move anyway, but if you never had a crosshair in the first place then I really don't know what's going on sorry. I guess it might be your graphics card or your drivers or something, but that's really beyond my expertise.

Quote: "Anyways I'll download it later when I don't think anyone will walk in on me and think I'm some disturbed person."

Haha, yes - it's a wonder nobody walked in on me while I was developing it. Those would've been awkward questions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:26:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:26:40