Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making a Game Maker with DarkBASIC Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope that I'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, me and some friends are making a game making toolkit with DarkBasic Pro and I made some mini 3D games and me and some friends desided to make a game maker with DarkBASIC PRO. And If possible if any of you could give us some basic coding stuff to make a Game Maker with it please. It's going to be 50% Drag And Drop and 50% Scripting and Programming. I already made some models (even through me and three other people is going to make a character making toolkit and stuff like that for it) but I just need some codes to get me started please. Also how much does the DBPro Lisence cost?

Yet to have a signature
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, keep in mind that (for all practical purposes) you cannot make a programming language in dbpro, and you cannot compile an executable from a dbpro executable (without being adept at assembly and incredibly knowledgable about computers in general)

But (if you read the dbpro licence... which you should have when you pressed the big "i agree" button ) you get the licence to sell games made with dbpro when you bought the product, so no worries there. (other things like dark gdk you have to buy the licence seperately)

So it's really impossible to make a completely independent game development something or other using DBPro. However, there are alot of resources you can make (and sell) for use with dbpro.

There are tons of plugins for DBPro that were made independently by users of DBPro. Then, the game creators staff said "Hey, this is good," and they now sell it online.

but... as for the technicalities... im not really sure. You can look into formats for sound and object files, if you want to make a music or object editor.

I've seen a couple editors before that are used for setting up objects, that save a text file with the exact same name of the object, and in the .txt file, theres variables like position, rotation, and other things, so i guess i'd start out with making a text file, writing to it, and then reading from it.

this will write a string with 5 seperate random integers in one line. try pasting this code into dbpro and then reading what those numbers are.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2009 02:53
First off, just so you know it's kind of frowned upon here to start another thread on the same topic if your last was locked. However because Neuro Fuzzy was kind enough to help I suppose I will to.

Here's how I would go about creating a game maker in DBP:

Because as Neuro said you pretty much can't have a game maker which produces EXEs, you have to work around that. So I would make a 2D game engine first of all. I would program it so that everything about it is contained within text files outside the EXE, and I mean everything; the characters, the levels, the AI, the behavior of objects, the movement, the menus, etc. Then you can create an editor which will allow you to edit these properties and create a 'game', and then when you run this file which contains all the info of the game, it actually just executes your base EXE which will operate based on the properties specified within the editor.

Zeroff
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks you guys. I guess that I'll just try to make a Level Editer first and hopefully make a sort of Game Editor, I just need more codes now. Also To AndrewT I made a sort of 2D One already but it haves lots of bugs and it's like a demo, there is no save thing. But I will consider about going back to my 2D One in the future. It's sort of like RPG Maker. But It got deleated of my Computer but I am going to sort of try it again. Also YOU Couldn't test your game on my 2D Game Maker.

Yet to have a signature

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:27:26