Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Lighting problem with .dbo objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 22:44 Edited at: 9th Feb 2009 22:45
I have just noticed someth quite odd with a couple of models I have exported from 3DWS. Both are exports of the same model; a fairly simple grey cube; One is a .X and the other is a .dbo

In this image, the one exported as a .x is on the left; the .dbo is on the right. As you can see, the .dbo is lit strangely.

Now I'm sure I've never encountered this problem using .dbos before; I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light as to what I've done wrong this time

I have included both exported models and the original 3DWS model in the attachment; and here is the code I used to load and display the models.

Thanks in advance.

>EDIT<
D'oh, I forgot to include the attachment :/

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@

Attachments

Login to view attachments
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 18:04
It's been 3 days now, so please excuse me bumping this.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong above? Or why its not lighting the same.

Help me Obi Wan...

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 18:31 Edited at: 12th Feb 2009 18:32
well I load in both and got the same results, so I made a copy of the x model to dbo then loaded it back in.

this is what it looked like it, its the middle one, all white but has the darker shade around the sides.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 18:35
@HowDo

Thanks for looking, but thats weird?

I'm guessing its white because its untextured? Thats not going to be much help either.

I really feel like I'm missing someth simple here :/

Does anyone else have any suggestions/advice?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 18:45
what method did you use to make your dbo.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 19:08
I made it using 3D World Studio, then I exported it as a .dbo file

There didn't seem to be any export options or anything like that

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 19:21
3D World Studio must be using a different export system as looking at the two files there are few differences, try what I did and see, load in the x model then save it out as a dbo. and have a look in notepad..

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 00:04
Yeah, I see what you mean with the differences in the files when viewed thru notepad.

I tried what you said, as you can see from the picture, the .x converted to .dbo is displayed just as expected.

So am I to assume that there is something broken with the 3DWS .dbo export routine; or is there something I can do in DBP to rectify this?

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 00:16
I'd just stop exporting to .dbo from 3DWS. You could write a converter in DBP.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 00:21
Yeah, I spose so.

I've been continuing development using the .x models for the time being;

I'll just put this down to a fault in 3DWS.

Thanks for all your help anyway guys

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 13:58
Maybe 3DWS objects exported as .dbo's ignore normal DB light and look for a lightmap instead?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 22:45 Edited at: 14th Feb 2009 22:47
yeah, that sounds likely. But these cubes are "building blocks" for a level editor I'm making; and I didn't want them lightmapped. I was gonna try and do the lighting from inside of DBP.

Seems pointless making a "not light mapped" layer; I was hoping for a DBP command to sort things out (Like set object ambient); but nothing I've tried works

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 01:29
why don't you just make the cube in dbpro itself and save it out as a dbo object......or here's an alternative to 3dws

http://evolveduk.googlepages.com/MapScape.html

WindowsXP/SP2, Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Geforce 6600 256MB
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 11:44
@Tatts
Well, ultimately, the blocks will be more detailed and propely textured; I'm just using the grey cubes as rough models atm while I suss out how my level editor is actually gonna work (Interface, controls and stuff)

I will look into Mapscape tho, it looks quite an interesting tool.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:30:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:30:08