Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Loading levels with lights

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 20:44
Hi i have made a level in Cartography Shop and i have exported it as Direct X
i Have two files
level.x
level_lm.x

I can load my level with all textures correct i just dont know how to load and us the Light Mapping .x file

What command do i use ?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 21:03
can cartography shop export as .dbo? Like 3d world studio can?

It's a lot easier with .dbo's as they support more than one texture layer (one for the lightmap).

If not, use giles (which is free now i think) to make a .dbo with the lightmap included.

Hope that helps

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 21:14
I think that Cartography shop required an additional plug-in made by ApexNow which allowed light maps. It was something you had to buy though.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 23:04
That was if you wanted to load the .csm file.

@Nuclear Snake,
I once wrote a cart-shop .X export program myself that I uploaded to the cart-shop forums - try a search there for it.

Nuclear Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 11:08
Ok i downloaded gile[s] which is a free program which can convert any object made in cartography shop and here is the link for everyone else

http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=§ion=giles&sub=download

.dbo files do not export right for me and i cannot get lighting to work correctly, however exporting in .3ds works aboslutely fine with no complications

When converting to .3ds though be cautious as the filename for your textures maybe too long so it will come up with a pop-up box showing you what the original file was and what to change it to

example:
bathroommarble.bmp =>> rble.bmp

I hope this helps everyone else and thankyou to the people who helped me in this thread
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 21:13
I'm not quite sure but I think I remember it being as simple as:

-Load the two objects with LOAD OBJECT
-Make sure they're positioned, scaled , and r
-Use GHOST OBJECT ON on the lightmap object (the one that you loaded with _lm at the end).

example:

But I'm not sure if it works or if it's the best way of doing things...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2009 22:40
@Sixty Squares
That way does work, but it uses twice as many poly's for the scene (as your using 2 models), so isn't really practical (especially for large models)

The best way to do it is to use a .dbo file with 2 texture layers

Without Music or Love the world would be a very empty place... Thank god I still have music.. --'-<@
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 01:34
you can use deled along side of cshop. deled has a csm importer and dbo exporter that you can use for both the lite and pro edition.

WindowsXP/SP2, Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Geforce 6600 256MB
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 03:11
Quote: "That way does work, but it uses twice as many poly's for the scene (as your using 2 models), so isn't really practical (especially for large models)"

Haha I was thinking that might be the case. You would think CShop would at least try to cut down the polys for the lightmap version of the model... Oh well, that's why I said I wasn't sure if it was the best way of doing things

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 10:46
Anyone remember that DBPro has light map commands.

here are a few, put one in ide press help should find a code sample that has this and othe stuff like raycast and Csg.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 10:49
I saw someone else talking about DBP GameFX Lightmapping, and made a note to look more deeply into it.

(I'm pretty clueless when it comes to any of the gamefx stuff tbh)

I've found a few things like that which has been added to DBP in the years I've been using it, but that have just passed me by without me noticing

Thanks for pointing it out HowDo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:25:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:25:26