Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / [LOCKED] This huge size of builded X10 games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 17:52
Hi! I am creating an FPSC X10 version of a small X9 game I have made this weekend.

It uses 3 different entities and 5 segments but still the builded X10 game is more than 200 MB large! Really crazy considering the exact same X9 game is only 50 MB.

Is there a trick (or a program) that can strip an FPSC X10 game of the huge amount of data that isn't used?
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 18:07
I think that FPSCx9 has a somewhat new feature wich compresses the game better.
But I dont really know.
You could look into your games folder and probably delete anything you know for sure isnt used in your game.

Spycrabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 20:24
Quote: "but still the builded X10 game is more than 200 MB large!"

built, not builded

-insert clever remark here-
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 23:24
Wow dolphin lover. You really are smart
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 01:28
That was pointless dolphin lover. Did you realy have to do that.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 11:00
Proper grammar is neccesary for people to take you seriously. You can't pitch a game idea to a big company and give the leaders a design document written in l33t-speak.

As for the thread's subject, I think BVG is right. There's some sort of compression method in X9 that makes the games generally smaller. Also, for X10, normal maps and specular maps are also included in the build, making it slightly larger.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 12:01 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 12:09
Well, Roger Wilco - I'm not trying to pitch a game idea, am I? But you and dolphin lover can go pitch all you want

Now, if we could cut through the grammar nitpicking and get on with our lives! Not everybody has English as their first language and I don't think anyone had any trouble understanding my post. I have worked as level designer and QA on several commercially released mobile games (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) so I don't need your silly comments to get by on my hobby projects.

As for the original question I found a way to decrease the size easily. If you don't use any glass go to Files->gamecore->glass and delete the files in this folder. This will remove 120 MB!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 13:30
It was an example, calm down now. I'm sure dolphin didn't mean to upset you, he simply pointed out a spelling mistake, which I believe to be a kind gesture. Next time the word comes to mind, you'll know how to spell it, thanks to your fellow forumer.

On-topic though; doesn't X10 remove the unused stuff from the library like X9 does? I've never built a game with X10, so I'm not sure. Or was it just the glass-folder that remained despite it not being in use?

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 13:39 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 13:50
I don't believe it's necessary to point out other people's grammar/spelling mistakes in questions when they don't ask for it. In my book it's quite rude to do so.

edit: a mod can close this thread now since I found a solution to the problem and we are going off topic.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 21:43
To be honest i'm not going to get to involved in this but i think if someone wants to have bad grammar and look very un-professional then let them we cant make them have good grammar so leave them be.

Now cool down guys its not worth an argument really.

So... You have messed up your FPS Creator again - The dreaded words are back

FPS Creator Community Forum
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 22:55
Nobody wants to have bad grammar or anything. The point is that it's completely out of context to bring up that sort of thing in a thread about some technical FPSC stuff.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum with spelling mistakes and bad grammar. Do you want to shout out how they are all unprofessional?

99% of the users here are hobbyist developers. A few like bond1 make a living of FPSC but we are generally here for the fun of it. So please, stop being grammar nitpickers and let's get on with our lives.

And if a mod would lock this thread down since this is completely off topic.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2009 13:43
This has gone off topic, thanks guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:53:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:53:56