Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Boss Battles!!!???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 21:24
I have noticed that games nowadays don't feature big end boss battles. How can that be?! Anyone who is doing a boss battle, post it here along with a description.

Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 21:40
Why would we post it here. Loads of games now a day have boss battles Gears of War, Crysis loads of them do i suggets you widen the list of games you are looking at.

How on earth could we give details about a boss battle sounds very confusing.

So... You have messed up your FPS Creator again - The dreaded words are back

FPS Creator Community Forum
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2009 08:36
Gears of War: if you have a PlayStation 2 try the game Shadow of the Colussus. It's based entirely on boss battles.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2009 13:41
I think he meant FPSC games.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2009 22:53
Shadow of the Colussus is a great game. The concept of playing an entire game through a series of epic boss battles is superb.

I think some of bond1's recent work is boss battle worth e.g. Dante beast, Ice Wizard, Chainsaw Brute etc.

Not only are they bigger than most FPSC characters but they have custom animations, multiple attack patterns and good AI which is essential for a good boss fight. Not just giving something loads of energy and attacking power.

The Ice Wizard is cool like when he freezes you and the player becomes stuck with a hud making it look like your in a block of ice then melee attacks you.

Bond1 got long and short range attacks down. I would like to have seen a boss with short, medium and long range attacks such as a super soldier that throws grenades from distance, shoots a gun when in range and uses a knife for melee etc. That would be possible in FPSC.

Something I'd really like to try for a boss in FPSC is something that has environment awareness. For example something that can climb segment walls and hang from a ceiling or jump from ground level up to a 2nd layer. I think that might be possible as there's already been a spider made for FPSC that can crawl along any side of a standard segment surface. See link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nY-r7Hxrk

Would be nice to see more FPSC bosses. They help break up a level and if done properly can make a game far more memorable.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 19:21
The problem is that we need Boss AI. So that the boss can actually be smarter than the others.

I guess with custom animation we can give a boss moves that no one else has, but that's my guess as to why you don't hear more about it in FPSC.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

http://www.fpscx10-online.com
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 23:40
Remember, A boss battle can be against a normal enemy. You just need to make it unique in some way.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 00:21
One thing I've noticed in recent commercial games is that bosses are huge, look really awesome but are in reality either quite limited or easy to kill.

Here's a couple of examples:

The Brumak from Gears of War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYNkgK-hZI

Leviathan from Resistance 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY0AUP8LzmE

I agree with Uthink that challenging AI is probably the most important thing.
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 00:33
Right. Bosses should have better AI then normal units, but you can still make some pretty neat bosses with just normal characters. With mine, you have to stack crates up while a boss is shooting at you. You then have to flip a switch that spawns some explosive barrels that drop down. These don't kill him, but after you walk along pipes to a window overlooking the room, you find another failsafe switch and flip it. You then shoot the explosives that fall down and it kills him. It uses the exact same DarkAI sytem, but it feels different from the guy I killed last level. With a little story to emphasise that te "Boss" is indeed important, then it helps the player to belive that the boss is no longer just a common enemy, but a new character that has a specific way to be destroyed.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 17:44
Well we all know about AI in FPSC frankly its crap but you can do things like make the boss faster, more health, extra lives and have a bigger weapon hit level. These all give the same effect while actually the engine is using the same AI commands.

So... You have messed up your FPS Creator again - The dreaded words are back

FPS Creator Community Forum
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 03:37
Here's an idea:

-Take an enemy and give it an ungodly amount of health
-Choose a new weapon and have it do a ton of dmg, maybe 1/10th the health of the boss
-hide this weapon in the room with the boss, or make it hard to reach, like guarded by the boss.

good? I was thinking like the chugshot as the final weapon, and make the boss objective1 and the winzone the entire boss room.

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a bit cliche though...giving the player the superweapon at the end of the game...maybe if the boss used the weapon against the player...

A picture says a thousand words.
-- H.K. --
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2009 05:30
maybe the boss has a bodyguard that has the weapon? OR you have the weapon already but little ammo, guards spawn with it, u take ammo from them and use it to kill the boss?

Quote: "That's a bit cliche though"

most stuff in fpsc is cliche

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
DualEagle_MKII
Years of Service
User Offline
Boss battles could probably also come in the form of a 'stressful' moment, I often find running for your life from a wave of enemies can be more fun if your unarmed with model pack, 9, is it?
I might implement a 'boss' sequence in my game where you need to find a weapon and fast, or you could try and go Ryu on the incoming baddies

-- Game Production has begun! What a long trip it will be... --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:40:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:40:33