Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Steps to create and RTS?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okey dokey, I have some experience with DBPro and I think I want to start to create my own video game. I'm aiming for an RTS based on the civil war, and then later want to make it an online game.

If anyone could give me a basic outline of how to go about it, I would be very apreciative.

Here is my view on it...
I need to...
Create 3D Models
Create Animations for the 3D Models
Create Sound FX
Incorporate all these elements together
Drink lots of coffee

the new guy on the..... web....
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2009 02:56
Forget the models.

Try to make the game engine with primitives like boxes or cones. Everything you listed can be done in the latter half of the game dev process. Especially sounds.

Now if the code is bogging you down it's fine to go and work on a model or something to keep you motivated. But it's not necessary and the bulk of your game is the programming part, which you didn't list.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
DBNewguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Now that's interesting, I understand that the most important part of the game is the program, I thought that would go unsaid, but I never thought of testing it with cube and such!! Awesome advice!! Please keep it up!!

the new guy on the..... web....
kuljot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2009 23:12
thats what i do. use shapes and write the codes. if eveyrhtign works fine, then i load the models. you dont want to much coffee or you will start twitching. by the way what is a rts.

programmign is stressful yet great. remeber one thing keep keep trying and you will succeed.
aarrowh
Years of Service
User Offline
RTS stands for "Real Time Strategy" its a type of game where you need to be able to move units, make new units, and defend from ememy attack all at the same time...a very good example would be Command and Conquer.

Image thanks goes to AndrewT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:21:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:21:43