Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Archer FPS - Medieval Parody of BattleField 2/ BFBC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 00:51 Edited at: 28th Feb 2009 02:25
Archer FPS

Background Information

hey i am currently working on a parody for battlefield 2 / battle field bad company but the hitch is... its in medieval times, and so a fast shooting game with machine guns and tanks 21 century weapons, to say horses and bows.
my aim is to try to make there a similar feel in gameplay within the two (i know graphically mine will be no where near, lol)

the idea of this game started as a laugh/a project to learn from.

without further ado lets get into the game.

Game Screenshots

Click for larger image

Click for larger image

Videos

Vid 1

Game Information

Game Concept
Go around capturing flags, to capture a flag u must go up to the flag and stand near it.
you are team 2, so if the flag your at says team 2 on the actual flag bit then its already yours.
as u stand near the flag you should notice a large bar appear at the top of the screen, if the flag is neutral it is at the center, if its your teams its on the left, and if its the enemy's the bar is filled to the right.

to win your team needs to accumilate a total of 500 points. you gain points through either capturing or assisting in the capture of a flag you gain 30 points, killing an enemy awards you 10 points.

your team is the green coloured team so just below where the flag taking bar is, there is 2 other seperate bars, the left one shows the green team (or team 2s) progess to 500 points. and the right one shows the blue teams (or team 3s) progess to 500 points.
the aim of the game is to beat the opposing team to 500points.

Controls
to fight u hold the LMB for longer than 1 second, every second after this initial second the button is held for the faster the arrow goes and the more damage it inflicts.

arrowkeys and WASD keys move you around the map.

press V to change from Third Person Shooter to First Person Shooter, however i advise against using TPS for now.

Space jumps and thats about it

To Dos

=newly done

=working on
=unstarted
=bug

- Respawn Timer
- Dont see under ground when landing
- team 3s zombie peoples angle while fighting

- finish animations for current models
- Menu
- Gravity re-do
- What happens when a team wins
- Add Melee Weapons

- Timer Based Movement
- Change Player model to a .x Model
- change skybox to more realistic sky
- Add bows + animation
- Different weapons
- Different terrains
- Tutorial
- Storyline

- Fix camera spinning bug

Downloads

Version 0.2
Released: 28th Feb
Link1 - size 10.1MB, file type: .7z
Link2 - size 11.5MB, file type: .rar

Version 0.1
Released: 23rd Feb
Link1 - size 8.85MB, file type: .7z
Link2 - size 10.1MB, file type: .rar

Advised Required Software

Winrar

Versions Released

Current Version = 0.2
Version Number: - 0.2
FIXES:

1.)Dont see under ground when landing (partly)
2.)Team 3s zombie peoples angle while fighting
3.)Fixed a AI and tree bug
4.)Partly fixed visibility bug

Additions:
1.)changing images when selecting a button on menu
2.)respawn timer
3.)given player same fighting abilities as a normal ai

Credit Also Goes To:

1.)Destrugter - He is a very friendly and talented 2d programmer who helped me do the GUI boxes when taking flags, and for enemy's health. He also helped test the game frequently when it was in its extreme early stages. Also he accepted in my plee to help take over the TGC forums WIP section - Muwhhahahaha
2.)Skidmarksid(Phil) - for testing my game and covering several major bugs.

3.) Nackidno - for providing great images and models.

Quote: ""Iblow for TGC", that'd look real good on a CV"

Quote: ""You make a game for the iPhone if you think it sucks"
Sucking is not the point Blowing is"
Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty good game. Although, these sorts of games are included in full length FPS games like Unreal Tournament.

I'm not trying to be mean, just saying. Anyway, look at how far you've come. I remember like it was just yesterday that you were asking how to do simple battle systems for a text game. You've made a pretty fun game, just needs a few touch ups(not saying that in a bad way). This is far more advanced then anything I could do in 3D.

Good Job!
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 01:24 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 02:10
lol dont worry roman, all comments are good comments.
thankyou for your opinion i appreciate it!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 01:31 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 01:32
Cool game I tried something like this but stopped lol. Anyway, the game was a bit hard for me-- the enemies took a while to kill and seemed to come out of nowhere sometimes. Also, I would recommend removing the flag objects from the LOD system so the capture points can be seen from afar.

Nice job! You've come really far

EDIT: About the links, your WINRAR link works fine. Try copying that format for the other two. I always do mine like this:

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 01:32
I think the forum objects to %20 (a space in your filename) in links and images. Try uploading the file without any spaces in the filenames.

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 01:44 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 02:04
Quote: "Nice job! You've come really far"

thankyou Sixty Squares, thats realy supportive, thankyou

also ill take your comment on viewing the flags, into effect, ill see what i can do

@ bmaczero
ill try that now, thanks

[EDIT]
@ bmaczero
thankyou the links work now

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 02:11
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "he enemies took a while to kill and seemed to come out of nowhere sometimes"

try using your mouse scroller to see more, sorry its a bug i need 2 fix

Quote: "NICE - Sweet! Much Coolness "

thankyou Jason

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 21:10
Cool! Nice to see my compass in the game.^^ Is my sword still in? Gonna download and try now.

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, ty again for those images nackidno even though you sent me them like half a year ago xD
lol

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 21:24
the demo was quite nice, it's kinda flawed though, like the jumping is a little glitchy and the radar is out of place. ^^

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "like the jumping is a little glitchy "

yea i dont know how that happens i told it if the player is smaller than the terrain height + 20 then ur on the terrain =S but it waits till ur on the terrain so u see under it for a split second

Quote: "radar is out of place. ^^"

yea it goes weird when u use left and right arrow keys

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
New features with version 0.2 released

Version Number: - 0.2
FIXES:

1.)Dont see under ground when landing (partly)
2.)Team 3s zombie peoples angle while fighting
3.)Fixed a AI and tree bug
4.)Partly fixed visibility bug

Additions:
1.)changing images when selecting a button on menu
2.)respawn timer
3.)given player same fighting abilities as a normal ai

thankyou to everyone who has played it so far it is much appreciated!

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
....its good i like it but i would suggest redoing the ground texture with a larger texture map.
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 18:11
since this is your first game and a test game etc, is it really that necessary to withhold the codez? (actually i'd just like to see an example game code with shaders - i'm sure there's some out there though)

you got a good start. my FPS averages 30-45. terraintest.exe is what i was supposed to run right? i didnt see another exe

the mouse-turning, on my comp at least, is very very choppy for some reason, it takes a lot of effort to turn around because it barely responds to mouse movement.

will the "graphics oddity" where the grass/trees/terrain objects dissapears and reappears when you enter/leave a gridzone (i assume it's a grid system, or a distance system) be smoothed out?

about the AI not walking smoothly (twitchy), you could perhaps run certain AI checks once every several loops instead of every loop (if you aren't already), so that they move smoother and change direction less often

just my 2c
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 18:12
sword blocking, different sword moves depending on which mouse buttons are pressed, etc, would be a really cool implementation here
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 20:02 Edited at: 10th Mar 2009 01:52
to reply to all your parts:

Quote: "since this is your first game and a test game etc, is it really that necessary to withhold the codez? "

and why wouldnt i withhold my work
Quote: "(actually i'd just like to see an example game code with shaders - i'm sure there's some out there though)"

my code hasnt got shaders in it yet...

Quote: "you got a good start. my FPS averages 30-45. terraintest.exe is what i was supposed to run right? i didnt see another exe"

yea on my comp i got it saved as terraintain.exe and forgot to rename it when i compiled

Quote: "the mouse-turning, on my comp at least, is very very choppy for some reason, it takes a lot of effort to turn around because it barely responds to mouse movement. "

i dont know why that happens maby your mouse sensitivity is low, im not sure i dont have problems

Quote: "will the "graphics oddity" where the grass/trees/terrain objects dissapears and reappears when you enter/leave a gridzone (i assume it's a grid system, or a distance system) be smoothed out?"

umm im terrible at modding and so the game will continue to run off bad graphics and poor images untill i get better or someone assists me, umm im not sure what you mean by gridzone, im calculating distance to make grass etc spawn, and i know there is a camera bug where the minimap camera effects how far the players camera sees

Quote: "about the AI not walking smoothly (twitchy), you could perhaps run certain AI checks once every several loops instead of every loop (if you aren't already), so that they move smoother and change direction less often"

i will do that thankyou, however the ai is dark ai so im guessing i should use update ai every 3 loops.

Quote: "just my 2c "

thanks

Quote: "sword blocking, different sword moves depending on which mouse buttons are pressed, etc, would be a really cool implementation here "

ive nearly done sword, chopping up enemys bodys, loss of limbs, sword blocking
ive been working on it for the last few days
just its bad modeling =), its a person i made from 15 body parts that is animation customizable, and headshot stuff etc.

[EDIT]

ive decided to go and learn modelling so i can get the models in this game looking reasonable so i will not be updating this game for a while, this doesnt mean its dead.
please dont post because i dont want it bumping just yet xD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:37:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:37:54