Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Shape Fights!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 02:44 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2009 01:28
Shape Fights

I am very pleased to announce my first unique game, Shape Fights, is nearing completion. And before people start asking, yes the game's name is synonymous to Geometry Wars, and yes, I did this purposely. I started this game at the beginning of February of 2009.

Game
I.Concept
The game is simple. You have 3 shapes(Circle, Square, Triangle) and 3 colors(Red, Green, Blue). Each shape can be any of the 3 colors. Your objective is simple...destroy as many shapes as you can....BUT!, you can only kill a shape that is either the same shape and/or color as you. So for example, if you have a blue triangle, you can only kill any shape that is blue, or any colored triangle.

You start off with 3 shapes spawning. For every wave you survive, 1 enemy is added to the next wave. Each wave comes in every 5 seconds. The waves stack, so if you don't act quickly then you will find yourself fighting off a lot of shapes.
II.Controls
Control your tank with the arrow or WASD keys, and shoot with the left mouse button. If you are on capture mode, you “capture” a shape with the right mouse button, otherwise the shape and color is randomly selected at the beginning of every 3rd wave (15 seconds).
III.Other
The background is affected by the music currently playing. There is only 1 song in the game, because I enabled it to where people can just put their favorite songs in the music folder and listen to that and see how the background reacts to their favorite songs.

Goodies
I.Screenshots:

II.Videos:
Video

Download Information
I.Important information
To play this game, you have to meet a few requirements. You must have DirectX installed on the computer you are planning on playing the game on. To take advantage of compression and decrease download time, you will need to download WinRAR if you haven't already acquired it. You can download it here
II.Links
Download RAR(3.3MB):Shape Fights RAR
Download ZIP(5.25MB):Shape Fights ZIP

Current Version:V0.2

Updates
02/24/09:
I have figured out not everyone has WinRAR, so I have uploaded a .zip version of the game so those who don't have WinRAR can download and play it. There were a few bugs that came to my attention, that I was able to fix. The game no longer crashes when the end of a random song was reached. The bombs all had forever lasting effects, which is now fixed as well.
03/20/09:
I have added the option to either play where you can either capture the shapes using the mouse, or have it randomly select one for you. I've fixed all known bugs, including the one that would keep crashing the game. There is a bug I know of for the high scores table, where it inputs spaces in the name...for some reason...but I'm working on this.

Things I need to work on:
-Fix all currently known bugs
-Make music enable/disable option
-Make 3D enable/disable option
-Make more items
-Make Random Shape mode easier (it's literally impossible to play at the moment)
-Improve game speed

I would like to thank Outscape for helping me. He is a very talented programmer who excels in 3D. Without his help, the background would not be possible.

I would also like to thank Chunks Chunks, whose MP3 plug-in was used for making the background go with the music.

I also would like to thank everyone in the TGC community. You guys are all very helpful and have shown me what a true community is all about. Without this forum, I would not have gotten to this point today.

ALL feedback is welcome! I need bug reports, suggestions, ANYTHING! Don't worry about hurting my feelings, because you won't. If you would like to submit any media, I'm willing to take it, as long as it follows the game. You can find the media I use in the media folder of the game.
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work dude, this is actually a really entertaining game i cant wait to get my hands on the complete version =)
nice work

Quote: ""Iblow for TGC", that'd look real good on a CV"

Quote: ""You make a game for the iPhone if you think it sucks"
Sucking is not the point Blowing is"
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 01:13
Really interesting concept. Well thought out, bit I'm quite busy right now qith some modeling and UV mapping, so I can try it out some other day, maybe tomorrow. ^^

Good luck on your game, keep it coming!

"Ja, för det är jävligt manligt att ligga fosterställning i duschen och raka röven! Testa det! "
Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2009 19:05 Edited at: 28th Feb 2009 19:15
Thanks for the replies!

I would like to announce that I have updated the game. I am starting at V 0.1 from this point.

Update 02/28/09:
V0.1

I have taken care of a lot of the items that were glitching out, and the item timer would spawn 1 item and that's it...unless you collected the item.

There is a problem with the mp3 plug-in right now that I'm trying to get looked at where the game freezes when the mp3 is stopped, so I made a quick work around until the problem gets fixed.

Latest downloads in the main post.

Thanks a lot for all of you who are helping me!
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2009 20:23 Edited at: 28th Feb 2009 20:26
Nice Game.

However you should think about implementing timer based movement into your game so it runs on the same speed no matter how good your computer is, here are some functions you could use:

Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about the late reply. I'm not sure if timer based movement will be that much better. I'm not doubting it, but the computer I programmed this on (which is alright...not for gaming though), my computer, and Outscape's computer, it ran around the same FPS, which was around 33.

Anyone have any ideas for the game?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:26:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:26:17