Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Kazaa crack down...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 22:11
Just a response to an above post made by 8truths.

He said that people too dumb to disable sharing deserve what they get.

Have you ever considered, 8truths, that if everyone disabled all sharing, there would be no file sharing?

People who don't disable sharing are filesharing heroes.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 23:13 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 23:14
Shrugs . . . covered that in the original post.

If I want to learn about heroes and the legal system, I'll read Victor Hugo.

Do I like the thought of hiding while file sharing? No. Granted, I have totally stopped using Kazaa altogether.

It would be wise for file sharers to lay low while all this happens. Eventually, the RIAA will either fill its quota, or exhaust itself from the sheer difficulty of what it has tried. Then, everyone will come out of the woodwork. Happened when they crushed Napster, it will happen again.

But, I think it would a bit pretentious to think getting into legal trouble over file sharing is "heroic".

The underpinning issue is that people believe they get something when they plop down their dollars, pounds, francs, etc. for their ISP. That something is a TON of free stuff.

Ultimately, the ISPs are going to force the issue. Here's how it will play out:

1. ISPs file suit against RIAA.

2. RIAA countersues.

3. RIAA files criminal charges against ISPs

3.A. Logs of users' IP addresses are now under 5th Amendment protections, because the ISPs can claim self-incrimination.

The RIAA has tried very, very hard to avoid suing the ISPs themselves. Instead, they have tried to coax (with various filings of motions, injunctions, etc.) the ISPs to ante up.

This cannot and will not work, unless a large number of the ISPs suddenly get dumb.

They're not. They're already moving againsst the RIAA.

Once the RIAA files a single charge against a single large ISP, this game is over. 5th Amendment protections kick in, and the RIAA will have a very long fight where it can only hope for a few judges to really be quirky, so they can garner a few headlines smacking down the ISPs.

Eventually, on appeal, the bottom would fall out.

The smart game now is to lay low, and let the bigger dogs chew each other to pieces.

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 15:28
o_O Were you calling me an idiot Raven... hrmmm... *shrugs* hurts my feelings... deep...

EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =\
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 18:49
oops, i jsut remembered this crack down, i jsut used kazaaa to download like around 20 songs from the eighties that i like, i prolly got lots of em on dad's cds if i could find em but this is more conveinient
arr cindy lauper, your goonies theme is good enough for me, eh ya yah yah yah yah

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 15:15
keeblerElf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 07:04
I was watching TechTv the other day and they said that the RIAA is only going after people with a large amount of songs and allowing people to upload songs from them...also it makes it easier for them to get you if you are allowing your computer to be used as a supernode...all this is easily avoided in kazaa because it gives you the option of turning off using your computer as a supernode and allowing uploads from your computer

Live life and play video games
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:16

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:17
my friend downloaded some hundreds of songs and movies not availiable on TV.... think he's in danger? hes in Michigan, any 125,000 dollar fine 4 him?

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 09:31
I don't know, a friend of mine got LOTR2T off Kazaa when it was still in the theatures (of course he's buys every LOTR DVD that comes out so...), that and he's gotten entire series of TV shows, more movies, cartoons, more movies, the guys got over 100 cds filled up with the stuff, but he doesn't download music though. Now he's in the National Guard now, so he's not on the net during basic.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Interested in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:43:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:43:56