Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A few projects I'm working on..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 01:50
In the past 2 years I started the following projects but keep hitting a brick wall kind of because I'm working on them alone. Anyhow I'm kind of on a break from programming but maybe these ideas or screenshots will mean something to someone out there..

A point and click RPG similar to Dungeon Siege.
I started out with a simple landscape and have a character that walks where I click. It has object avoidance and camera panning depending on the mouse location.

[img]null[/img]

Hear It!
An educational application designed for children to type words on a simple display and have them read back to them via text to speech. This isn't a game but I am interested in developing educational software as well. You can check this out on my website - http://www.chromaware...There is a video there too..

Puffer Billy
Was supposed to be a children's train game where the children could interact with a world similar to Thomas the Train. I got some basic camera controls and waypoint following down but ran into snags when trying to implement a track system.

[img]null[/img]

Unnamed Space Exploration Game
A game about being the commander of a large space ship. You command the crew and they do the work. Simliar to Bridge Commander I believe although I never played it. My goal with this was to make it friendly to those that do not want to play a twitch action space shooter. Basically you command and the AI does the work. This is my latest project and I have some basic controls and space graphics down. I was kind of banging my head with the camera for a while and took a break. Trigonometry is not my strong point.

These are all very crude. Feel free to comment with feedback...
-Jon

Wannabe Game Designer. Wannabe Programmer. Expert Dreamer.
Live in NY? Check out the Long Island Amateur Game Development Group http://www.meetup.com/LIAGDG/
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 03:07
It seems you have some skills. Certainly some interesting projects with potential. You just need to knuckle down and work on one until it's in a "publishable" state. You're not alone- i for one am in the same boat. Many projects unfinished, but I learn from each, and come back when i know more, or have transferrable code ready. It keeps things interesting, although at some point you have to do some boring work to get things done.

The first thing with the object avoidance system looks interesting. Quite a nice aesthetic too. You just need to make a plan of how to make it into a game.

Your Opus could be a 3rd person adventure-em up, but with the spaceship stuff in it too. Bit like Star Trek- with the captaining of a large spaceship with automated functions, along with sending down an away team or something.

MatriX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 01:55
Thanks, I appreciate it. The object avoidance system in my first screenshot is actually functions built into Dark AI, not my own. I started out trying to make if first but then quickly moved towards Dark AI as it did everything I wanted.

Biggest stumbling block for me is always the "how do yo do that" or "think about that" concept. So many times I spent alot of time programming something to a result only to find that it wasn't really what I wanted. Game design is tougher than it sounds.

Cheers
Jon

Wannabe Game Designer. Wannabe Programmer. Expert Dreamer.
Live in NY? Check out the Long Island Amateur Game Development Group http://www.meetup.com/LIAGDG/
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 01:59
These screenshots show potential. Many of us are in in the same boat. Start many projects, finish few/none.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 18:56
Absolutely: I kept making things that fell apart from lack of planning, lack of commitment and lack of organisation. (And, uhh, a lack of knowing what functions were. They make things a lot easier.) That's not to say I'm anywhere near as skilled or as experienced as most people on these forums, of course - but I am at least at a stage where releasing stuff at infrequent intervals is attainable. Keep at it and eventually you'll manage to jump high enough to grab the bar, so to speak.

Quote: "Biggest stumbling block for me is always the "how do yo do that" or "think about that" concept. So many times I spent alot of time programming something to a result only to find that it wasn't really what I wanted. Game design is tougher than it sounds."

Yeah - there's always a point where you have to sit down and think "I want this. Hmm, how on earth can I code that?" The rule of thumb, I suppose, is that you can code anything if you can write it down in a step by step manner. Breaking bigger problems into smaller ones (top-down design) is the way to go, I think.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:32:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:32:43