Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 06:06 Edited at: 10th Mar 2009 06:35
sorry i just noticed the title is wrong sorry

I'm wondering what i should do for my 3d world for a game I'm making.
I'm thinking of cutting it into segments so it will run faster. but i would rather one big world but how do i make a huge world with lots of objects not extremely laggy?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 12:11
You can make a decently large world as one unit (at least on a computer with decent specifications). If you want it to be "huge" though, then you would probably have no other choice than dividing it into segments.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 04:10
To limit the lag on large worlds, the two most important techniques are culling and Level-Of-Detail (LOD).

Culling involves hiding polygons that won't appear on the screen anyway. DarkBASIC will automatically cull individual polygons that face away from the camera, so the only thing you can do to improve this is use HIDE OBJECT or EXCLUDE OBJECT ON when objects go out of the screen.

Level-Of-Detail is the technique of replacing a model with different versions of itself depending on how close the player is to it. When the player is really close to the model, a high-poly version is present. As they move farther away, the high-poly model is deleted or excluded and a lower-poly one is shown.

Oh, and just for randomness, 3d words.

Dark Master Ev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2009 16:54 Edited at: 12th Mar 2009 01:51
Ive got another question. should i make it a model or should i make it advanced terrain?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 02:32:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 02:32:14