Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Transport device - Possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
While everyone is testing the new upgrade I thought I would start a seperate topic - Transport device.

What I need to know is it possible to have say a cube/ball that you pick up and hold in the players hand (like a grenade) and then when you throw it, it throws like an object in the map with physics etc.

Then once thrown the hand holds a switch device (like a detonator)
But when the player presses fire with the switch device the switch/button is pressed and the player is transported to the location of the cube/ball object previously thrown.

I have tried this with an object(crate) that you throw and make it a transporter and then walk into another transporter and you do transport to the objects poition, but have not yet tried with a pickup object that when thrown becomes a transporter and then the switch trnasports to that position.

If you can help I would be gratefull. Thanks!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2009 17:18 Edited at: 10th Mar 2009 17:19
This can be done with extensive scripting commands but yes it can be done. Dont ask what the commands are scripting is my area of expertise so cant help much i suggest you go to the scripting boards.

Better get learning those scripting commands

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks THE NEXT, I think there is more involved than just scripting.
But thanks.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a classic UT Translocator

No, there is nothing more to do but scripting. Although I'm still using X9, it shouldn't be different in X10 I guess.

---

Make TWO pickups. Both MUST have PHYSICS ALWAYS ON. Now, write a script that makes only PickupB able to be dropped back on the floor by pressing a key after it was picked up, PickupA stays in your inventory forever.

Then, PickupA needs to have PickupB in its "ifused" string.

Now you simply script PickupA to be Transporter, and PickupB to be Transporter-Exit. And PickupA transports you to B whenever a certain key is pressed.

If you compare this example to UT, PickupA would be the translocator weapon, and PickupB would be the small Transport Pad that is fired by the weapon (although you wouldn't be able to to this with a WEAPON in FPSC).

---

C'est ca, read the standard transporter scripts carefully and use the community guide, and you should be able to do this quite quickly.

Hope it helps and someone correct me if I'm wrong
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
DOMINIK,
Thanks for your thoughts, I have already done something similar but this causes many problems.

1. You could transport and hit items or even be merged with a wall.

2. I have also transported and fallen out of the level even though there were no exits.

3. I really need to fire the disc to transport to, but I cannot do this with FPSC.

Summary: Not possible to get a robust gameplay mechanic with current FPSC X10 version.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
You need to fire it... uhhmmm....

ok, let's say, you must press a certain key to the Translocator Pad to your inventory. And if you don't, you can still pick it up and at least THROW it. Then it would be much more like what you need, right?

And that falling out of the level thing could be fixed by modifying the .x model of your Translocator Pad. It needs to be kind of "smooth". Like the standard-transpoters, I guess, no detailed edges or something.

Anyway, I agree, it's very difficult to do with FPSC!
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 12:49
arent there telaports?

shadow666
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
Those teleports are not portable.

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 20:27
i dont understand, doesnt he just want to go from one teleport to another?

shadow666
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
No, a transport device such as a weapon. You fire your transporter, then a device box comes up that allows you to transport back to where you fired the projectile.

Such as the UT Translocator.

SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I am still trying to get this working, I can pick up and throw an item using the PHYSICS engine (Left mouse button, pick up, right throws it)

I can then transport to the thrown items location, but depending where the item is depends on the outcome, For example if I am on a gantry and throw the item and it stops on the gantry under a railing and then transport to it, I fall off the gantry.
I think it is a collision problem with it.....

Is there a way I can put an Invisable sized collision box around the thrown object so the item never gets stuck under any other object or stuck in an object by mistake etc?

Thanks for all the forums help on this.
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 02:50
do you havto press a button to use the telaport?

shadow666
freak of nature 64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 05:02
Like Portal! Ah, Portal! The companion cube and the lie about cake, HILARIOUS!

fgadzsv
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 18:38
guys,...do i have to push a button to use the teleport machines??? if so, im screwed!!! (big teleport plans in my game) lol

shadow666

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:50:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:50:28