Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Did Geri just send me an e-mail?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:10
Quote: "Hai sir

My name is ---. I study computer sc in Malaysia. I mojoring graphics. Can you please send me simulation moving arm robot? It's because I also doing that project for my final year project. Some more here I alone. No have any reference. I scat to pass my degree course. If u help me, sure one day I will help you. Because god is great. I waiting for your answer sir."

I can't help this guy! If he passes, he'll end up being on the other end of the line when I call the HP East India Company for tech support!

[To fill in what he is atalking about -- way, way, way, way back there were several DB demos different posters on the forum made of a robot arm, and this was an adapation giving it range of motion and a halt when it hit iteself or the ground.]

This is going in the keeper pile of my e-mails.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:12
Lol, the keeper pile?

Quote: "If u help me, sure one day I will help you. Because god is great. I waiting for your answer sir."

I dunno, it kinda sounds like geri/2geri. The English seems better compared to his. What was the sender's name? (Geri@hotmail.com?)

Website 50% done (May be out by mid-end August)
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:14
lol, strange peep

DreamersScars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:19 Edited at: 7th Aug 2003 09:30
Nah . . . it was the guy's name @hotmail.com.

It wasn't Geri. Just deja vu.

I won't give out his name.

I mean no disrespect to DB by this, but this guy is screwed if he is even joking about handing in DB projects for college degree work. Um . . . C++, Java, even good VisualBASIC, maybe Ada or Cobol if the prof finds that sort of thing worthwhile still. Not a beginner DB demo.

I had a buddy in college who was CS, and his senior project was a CGI database site mixing stuff like Access and SQL for a medical school!

This guy wants to do newbie DB stuff?!

Good thing God is on the case. This guy ain't got much else workin' for him.

Quote: "Some more here I alone"

This, I feel, is the most Geri-esque line.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:31
Hey you know what's interesting?

I found a website with source for a moving arm that was made in db. You think that's what this guys talking about? Hmmmm, he/she better get on google and do some searching.

Website 50% done (May be out by mid-end August)
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:37
I shrug, I wonder, I pray that Geri will e-mail me.

I get these requests all the time off my websites. It is the stupidest thing in the world, because the contact page explicitly says, don't send me this crap!

I had some dweeb a week or two ago ask for a fully-skinned/boned 3DS Max hi-poly human . . . what an ass! Guys get paid GOOD money to do that sort of work!

Someday I will have to create a parsing engine that will just go thru web pages and evaluate the likelihood of elicitng incredibly dumb e-mails from hopelessly hopeful people.

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:50
don't they know how hard it is to model and rig a human chara, it's a very very difficult(painful) process

DreamersScars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 09:57
God only knows.

One assumes that a 3DS Max user would appreciate the severity, but then there are a lot of people out there who seem to have no pride and will ask for anything.

I cannot, even for a minute, imagine really using 3DS long enough to get into human models and thinking that it was a gimme.

I busted ass learning 3DS off a very good friend's copy (gfx designer) for six months before I produced anything that I really looked at and thought made it worth all the hair pulling.

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2003 11:56
http://www.googlewhack.com/tally.pl

Totally unrelated, but I googlewhacked vartiants of poop 7 times before the blocked it.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 06:26
Sure does sound like it

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 08:02
I agree with the initial Geri Assessment Team's analysis: this was clearly disproved as a Geri original.

Plainly too coherent for Geri.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:18
That e-mail was to organized to be Geri...it had sentences structured properly they were just missing words...the words were in the right order they were just missing some...where as Geri tends to get all the words but re-aranges them wrong half the time...

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:23
send him back another even stupider email. Always works.
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:36 Edited at: 8th Aug 2003 16:36
make it like

Dear ---
waht is teh robot u spake of, i dont no much english so i not noing teh robot of waht u spake...

Or get Geri to write you a serious one in english they should look about the same...

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:44
yea thats good! Even i didnt get it!
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:57
yes it takes a sophisticated mind...*holding in a laugh*...lol

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 21:44
Actually, I sent him an e-mail saying that I won't encourage academic fraud.

I am slightly afraid that this guy would impress someone (since I have no idea what the ed system is Maylaysia is like).

I would think the whole effort is pointless. Generally, profs want to see the source, and for a senior pj it better C++ or really damned good Visual BASIC.

I hate the idea that this dude would pass.

Probably, he'd get a job programming critical systems for the airlines. Then people would die, because I was too compassionate. (How's that for extrapolation; more likely, the guy would get a job servicing MS Office, and the office people would never realize he's just dumb.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:22:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:22:06