Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AutoWarriors - Autoduel / Car Wars type game in progress Dark Basic.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 21:29 Edited at: 15th Mar 2009 23:43
I have started to do some programming work for this game, but it is more looking at how things are done in Dark Basic compared to how its done with Visual Basic 6 with 3D Middleware. I can tell everyone that DBPro does make it much simpler. Most of the work with this game project right now is gathering new media and redesigning the layout of the game.

I probably will take advantage of many of the Dark Basic add ons like tree magic, architect tool, dark matter, etc. Will save me lots of time. I have to create city, rural, highway, and in stadium environments. Working on a way to have all these attached together so one can go to different segments of the "World" without delay. Would need a system that offloads and loads in segments as you drive around.

The reason why I am porting over is the original project could not be completed in the way I envisioned it. I mentioned Revolution 3D had issues. I am also looking at the costs of upgrading to the newest Visual Basic.NET + Registering Truevision3D at around $400 USD. I can obtain that DarkGame Studio Package for $90 USD.

Some might wonder about copyright issues since Car Wars is a table top game that someone still holds the rights to. Part of my redesigning involves altering several things from the original game. Some different types of vehicles will be available. Going different buildings that do different functions. Main thing this is being done in a 3D environment where Autoduel was 2D done on 1985 era computers. Using "Real World" stuff like names of Cities, Vehicle Types, & Weapons (Ex. New York City) cannot be claimed as copyright infringement since they really do exist. Will be using a mix of Sci-Fi & Modern Military weapons like Plasma Cannons, Laser Guided Missiles, Gatling Guns. If enough stuff is different, it defeats those copyright infringements.

I hope I get more positive feedback on my project work in the future, and the help I should just post technical questions when I run into a problem. Bringing in assistant programmers can help, but sometimes they may have their own ideals and can get too far offtrack. It probably be more with the files and media that I may external help.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, to keep this from being locked, why not post a screenie of your original game to prove you've already made the media at least?

The WIP board is more for playable but not-quite-done things, this seems more for the game design area. I thought I'd download your program to give some positive criticism, but it's just a bmp...

but on a positive note, I have read the rules to car wars, and almost played it once, but they're too complex for an evening of fun compared to Hero Quest, so a computer simplified ver would be neat.

Signed
------
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2009 10:00
Here is are screen shots and a sample of one of the cars I created. There is a screen shot of the first game I experimented with it did not much more than drive around the city. All the cars were generated with internal sub routines and I started replacing those with 3DS models. Something I have to do with each car model is arrange the groups so that the program can change the materials to simulate tail lights, head lights, turn signals, plus the play can set the color of their car. Body will always be the first group. The reason why tires are not included with the model they get added separately added inside the program, front tires will turn. There is a choice of tires in the game. I am not trying use models that have an extremely high vertex count, trying to keep in under 6000 per car. Some of the models I found have like 20,000 and lots of work to reduce them.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 22:51
Try posting the screenshots in .jpg or .png format on a file uploading site like Photobucket or Imageshack. Or you could upload a screenshot to your post by attaching it as an attachment. Downloading a .zip file of screenshots is almost as much of a hastle as downloading the whole game, and people like to quickly see what your game looks like .

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 14:27
No, no, please don't use an external source. I can never get on them for some reason; everything appears but the image itself. Use the attachment system and attach the images as one big image.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:37:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:37:48