Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 Performance compared to X9

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there everyone!

I'm quite new to this forum, the reason is simply I do not own FPSC X10. I own version X9 which I do love a lot.

Now, I'm thinking a lot about buying X10. But, which is highly important to me: Does X10 have a better performance than X9?

You know, X9 gives you a framerate of about 15-17 frames when spawning 4 or 5 enemies at once, even on high-end computers.

I'd love to work with allies and all that, but if the performance is that bad in X10, too, I imagine it wouldn't really be fun for me to make large battles with allies and enemies with a framerate of about... ehm... 5fps

Thanks
lampsrus
Years of Service
User Offline
X9 is good, but x10 is better. If you have the system specs, buy x10. Ive gotten 15-20 enemies in one room without lag on a standard computer with an nvidia geforce 8400

Don't ask about my forum name. LONG story.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 22:06 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 22:06
Ok lets put it this way you make a room with 3 enemies and a few crates.

FPSC X9 = 15 - 20 fps
FPSC X10 = Cant even count the fps hundreds and hundreds great speed
or
FPSC X9 = Ford Focus
FPSC X10 = Ferrari

So all in all it packs a punch it is great for speed and graphics if you can run it that is

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much, guys!!

That sounds very good. I'll have to buy Vista, but I do have the required PC Specs, so that won't be a problem.

Quote: "FPSC X9 = Ford Focus
FPSC X10 = Ferrari"

Hehehe.... very good
Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:27
x10 has Gui instancing (or is it gpi instancing? something like that).
Anyway it allows around 100 or so characters in a game with virtually no framerate drop at medium specs. What kills framerate in x10 is probably how intense you set the graphics to, like bloom and such.

Of course i STILL don't have x10 so I wouldn't know exactly....

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:45 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 23:46
Almost Krowsnest!

GPU instancing. X10 allows the same enemy to be placed in an environment tons of times using different textures from a texture array and render them all in a single pass from your graphics card instead of treating them all as individual objects like X9.

Dark AI is also far more robust than X9 AI so you benefit from not only loads more enemies with incredible performance but allies and better intelligence too.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Dark AI is also far more robust than X9 AI so you benefit from not only loads more enemies with incredible performance but allies and better intelligence too."

Ahhhh.... that's .... music

Thanks again!!
GR1TZN3R
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow,

Thanks for the info!

But heres a question,
What if X9 was running EFX?
Phantom, Hypothetically, (or titan, you choose.)
What would the comparison Be then?

"Human after all"
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Although I'm not an X10 user yet (easy to see above),
EFX has some big disadvanteges:

- No licence for commercial projects
- Watermark in your game all the time
- No GPU Instancing
- Upgrade version max is 1.07/1.08
- No Ragdoll

I don't like it very much.
That's why I'll buy X10 soon.

I'm currently working with X9 v.1.15.
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 20:27 Edited at: 31st Mar 2009 20:31
I'm curious, has anyone actually tried out GPU instancing with custom entities? I mean I've seen it in action but I've never actually tried it myself.

As to the topic, I think the performance vs graphics is pretty good...from what I hear, most commercial games use textures that are 512x512 for environments...I use 1024x1024 textures on all my custom segments and it runs great. Looks great too...

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds very good.

But one more question about GPU Instancing... as far as I understand it, it requires to have the same .x model all the time and only a different texture.

And that again means, if I want (stupid example) have, uhhmmm, let's say, 7 alien friends that attack earth on my team, all have not only different texture but completely different meshes. Then the framerate is down again, or would X10 be able to handle that?

I'm asking because I love Sci-Fi games, and especially a high variation of aliens will require different models... no need to mention how difficult that is to do in X9.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 18:17
You need to watch from 7:42 on this video until the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BqbBPJmKws

FPSC X10 allows you to have the same character in a room using different textures from a texture array, different scaling of meshes and even different animation sets all in a single pass of your graphics card. It is not limited to just different textures.

Nomad
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 02:32 Edited at: 5th Apr 2009 02:33
Supposedly. Has anyone actually been able to do this? Remember that for over a year, we were limited to just one or two soft particles for a whole level. And even though that has been fixed, nobody knows how to make their own. I don't anyways and I don't know who does...I have also yet to see that cube mapping reflection thing in action...

What I'm saying is, nobody seems to have tried out GPU instancing in X10 and while we can supposedly do that according to the video and the official feature list, there are some things that did get the axe and there isn't any recent evidence showing that it does work.

I'm not trying to bring a downer on the whole subject by the way, just pointing out some frustrations I've had recently...

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 16:09
Quote: "I have also yet to see that cube mapping reflection thing in action..."

If I recall correctly, it was scrapped and taken off the features list pretty early during actual development.

The GPU instancing feature does seem to work, as multiple enemies with different textures have very low impact on performance. The scaling part of the instancing feature was however not included.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 21:18
Quote: "FPSC X9 = Ford Focus
FPSC X10 = Ferrari"

Actually:

FPSC X9 = Ferrari
FPSC X10 = Bugatti

They're both excellent brands creating excellent cars, but Bugatti owns the Ferrari but Ferrari is more popular and reliable .

-FCV

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:49:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:49:33