Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New To The Boards

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right board to post in but here it goes. I'm new to the boards and figured I'd say hi. I am currently a full time student at Westwood College Online working on my BA in video game art and design. I was wondering if there was a general discussion area where I can go to discuss issues when it comes to the artistic side of game creation or just ask for general advice. From what I've seen the boards are broken down by which programs you're wanting information on and a specific style of game creation.

So far my experiences have been the game editor from yoyogames.com and playing around with Unreal Editor. So I'm still very new to this when it comes to the electronic applications I will need to utilize. I've been eyeballing DarkBASIC for some time now but the thing that scares me is the fact that it looks like a very powerful tool when it comes to game creation and I have no knowledge of code. Does the entire program run on drag and click or will I need to know some basic code? If I do need to know code where can I go for some really good references.

Anyway, thank you for your time.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
There's no click and drag. It's all programming. Give the demo a go and see how you get on with it.

As to discussing art styles, there are 2D and 3D forums here, so you can discuss stuff (or show off your latest creations) in there.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 22:34
Quote: "Does the entire program run on drag and click or will I need to know some basic code?"

Neither. As Bursar said it's entirely programming; there's no visual "drag-and-drop" interface like there is in Game Maker, it's all code.

Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 00:08
Quote: "game editor from yoyogames.com"

Cool! I got started with Game Maker for my game programming.

[/offtopic]

Anyways, there are multiple boards, for various products as well as some topics. You might want to check out 3d chat, 2d chat, Game Design Theory, or Geek Culture (off topic). Just keep in mind that this IS a forum for TGC, and s primarily centered around TGC products.

~QJ
That's what they WANT you to think...
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I have the pro version of Game Maker and read the whole scripting tutorial and never made more than a couple demos... but I know if you've done anything scriptwise in there, DB should be easy for you.

I find the syntax to be the easiest, plain english. Where you'd normally have to deal with the Steps and add scripting there or timers, you just write it directly into the code here, in the basic section of do-loop.

You will have to load images before using them, but other than that, it doesn't get difficult if you can do basic algebra. I just made a 2D game in DBPro when deciding between that and Game Maker because it's easier for me to handle images in this than GM, since GM makes it awkward to randomize the images while playing the same 5 sounds depending on what it is.

So don't be scared of DB if you already know GML. It's easy

Signed
------

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:12:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:12:36