Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Fpscx10 slowing down. What am I doing wrong?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 16:57
I finally was able to get a computer good enough to run FPSCX10 and was really looking forward to it.

But I have to say that after few days of almost constant testing of the features, I am quite disappointed. I didn't expect it anything too much. But I atleast thought it would fix the biggest problems of FPSCX9.

I have the program fully patched, and trying my best to make light levels (lots of doors, multifloors, light ranges not overlapping, etc). But whenever things get more complicated or more messy, it starts lagging, or the program crashes before I even get to test the level.

Also the weird "lagtraps" are still present. A random room just simply lags, with no particular reason. Nothing you could fix easily, other than deleting the room and avoid that spot.

So my point being, am I missing something? I have been planning a project, that uses mostly tightly closed areas, and all, but the program is so unstable I'm afraid to start working for a serious project with my small team. Also, so far I have only used default fpsc segments and entities, just to test the program.

When I test my level the polygon meter is always full, and entity and AI goes somewhat 50%+ but memory usage is always very low. FPS shows usually 80 - 120 but I still see some slowing down which seems very weird. And in some cases, fps has dropped to 1 in the entire level, and soon after crashed, for no particular reason. Last time it did that, my level didn't even have lights on yet! And no, it was not big. It was strictly closed, no big halls, no outdoor areas.

Here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x3 Phemon 8650 triple core processor

8 gigs of DDR2

Nvidia GeForce 9600 (768 megs of own memory)

Windows Vista 64

So, to me all and all this seems very fishy. I'd really appreciate if someone could help even a little.

Slitwrist Extasy
charfei70
Years of Service
User Offline
Is the entire room closed? Is it leaking to the outside. If it is that may be the problem. Make sure stairs have something under them to stop them leaking.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 19:42
1. those specs will easily run FPSC X10 very easily
2. IF you are using FPSC X9 you need to use the newest version. Older the version slower it is the very first few are so slow it takes 30 mins to build one room on my rig and not many people can beat my rig.
3. This is X9 related so post it in X9 boards next time
4. FPSC X9 has a limit to 3 enemies in a room otherwise it will slow down allot (dynamic objects also cause slowdowns)
5. Suggest you get FPSC X10 100%

And your specs do work please check my official specs thread here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=138684&b=33

Thanks
Good Luck

Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 19:47
Charfei, yes, entire room is closed, I always double check for leaks.

And The Next, it isn't Fpscx9 related, I am using x10. And I knew it's not about specs, but I listed them there because someone would've asked for them anyway at some point.

Sometimes it crashes in the level testing screen, at point where it says "Saving Textures". I've also tried testing how does masses work and put 30 enemies in one room and it run "decently", if I turned bloom and all off, then fps was over 50. But the second I start adding variety to the maps, more rooms, more lights, more enemies (not 30 at once of course ^^), etc, it seems to start being too much to the program, or then it's a compatibility problem.

Slitwrist Extasy
charfei70
Years of Service
User Offline
How much enemies do you have. If u place too much enemies the ai meter gets high.

Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 23:10
I usually have given the level a maximum of 10 enemies (when I'm not testing out enemy quantities), usually even less than 10. So that shouldn't be the case either.

Slitwrist Extasy
Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 23:11
And I usually also trigger the enemies from the previous room, so only 2 or 3 should be active at a time.

Slitwrist Extasy
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 01:17
Sorry mis-read first line

Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 01:29
The Next, no problem.

Question, should the 'polygons on scene' meter be lower normally? It just seems that it doesn't matter what room I make, it's always full, even if the level only has 1 small room.

Slitwrist Extasy
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 03:20 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2009 03:23
Quote: "And I usually also trigger the enemies from the previous room, so only 2 or 3 should be active at a time."

This right here could be the issue... trigger zones increase entity logic on your level and as they are dynamic on logic side of things its same as adding another enemy.... FPSC x10 uses instancing so it is not necessary to use trigger zones as often for enemies...

You can have 25 enemies (of the same type) on a level with no real hit to performance at all...

So I would suggest greatly reducing the amount of trigger zones to spawn enemies ( in fact I have found this is really not necessary for the most part in X 10.. ) also limit the number of enemy types in your level will greatly reduce entity logic as well (typically I never use more then 2 types of enemies in a single level).. you can also use the texture variations option on the entities to give more variety...

I personally think this is most likely the cause of all the lag you are experiencing..

It has been my experience that entity logic can cause more lag then anything else in FPSC X10.

Hope this helps
Squalker

and to answer your question yes the Polys in scene should be lower
Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 03:24
Squalker, thanks, I'll experiment that next then (after I've got some sleep, it's quite much here in Finland anyway ^^)

But the problem occurs also in levels I haven't even used enemies yet. One level even crashed before I had put lightning. And it doesn't give any real error. Just says there's an error and fpsc needs to close, that's it. No indication on where the problem may be, so basicly it's impossible to fix.

But yes, I will try that out.

But the polygon thing, hmm, any idea what could cause that? To have excessively much polygons on scene?

Slitwrist Extasy
Tharen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 05:33
Okay, so, I made a level of only 1 tile. 1x1x1 sized map, only the starting place, nothing else, and here's the screenie for it.

This was the only place where I got the polys on scene lower than maximum, and it even went to maximum when I got the screeny. Anyway, check it out.

Slitwrist Extasy

Attachments

Login to view attachments
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 06:54 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 03:00
I have the same problem with the polygons on scene thing as well. But I thought it was cause I use a laptop..(a good one but still a laptop)
but I don't ever get slow frame rates and I can do outside levels just as easy as inside.. Try to reinstall fps creator x10 and see if that might be the problem. If not try your drivers to your gpu and if that's not reinstall the newest direct x10 the November 2008 one. but beside from that it should not be slowing down..

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 14:13
Quote: "Squalker, thanks, I'll experiment that next then (after I've got some sleep, it's quite much here in Finland anyway ^^)

But the problem occurs also in levels I haven't even used enemies yet. One level even crashed before I had put lightning. And it doesn't give any real error. Just says there's an error and fpsc needs to close, that's it. No indication on where the problem may be, so basicly it's impossible to fix.

But yes, I will try that out.

But the polygon thing, hmm, any idea what could cause that? To have excessively much polygons on scene?
"

Poly's in scene being is usually a sign of Poly leaks in some way.. Try to start out with small level.. test your level like a 4 x 4 room or something with segment you are using with no entities.... see what your poly are like... if there good randomly add a few static entities that you will be using threw out you level (if they are not good then there is a poly Leak in the segment and it needs to be report as a bug as long as it not a custom one).... and recheck... continue to add things till you hit high poly numbers.. then check to see it is what you added.. something one the level is causing the high poly count you just have to track it down...

also remember corridors= horrid poly leaks so don't us them.. us room segment for halls instead..

Hope this Helps
Squalker
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 14:17
Quote: "Okay, so, I made a level of only 1 tile. 1x1x1 sized map, only the starting place, nothing else, and here's the screenie for it.

This was the only place where I got the polys on scene lower than maximum, and it even went to maximum when I got the screeny. Anyway, check it out."

That is a sign of poly leak... try other segments and tell us what happens..

Squalker
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 17:33
Try turning some stuff off or to low. Maybe that will help.

My youtube account: funnybun123
Gears of War
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 18:55
Get the latest update. .07 I think it was. Anyways, that should help you. Don't get the beta 1.08 update yet though.

Cheers

With these isolated expiriments, we are not only expanding our knowledge on time, we are starting to harness it's potential. Head Reasercher before Expiriment No 52

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:00:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:00:42