Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Contest Idea-Make Your Own Coding Language in Dark Basic (classic or lite)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 04:53
Its just an idea we came up with in the IRC chat. How bout RGT, or someone hosts a contest for creating your own programming (or scripting, or whatever) language in Dark Basic Classic or Pro. I'm sure we'd get something amazing out of the "higher ranked" programmers here.
[url="http://www.neowolfgames.tk"]http://www.angelfire.com/ex/animezonex0/NeoWolfGamesBaner.JPG[/img][/url]
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
That'd be hard...some guy just released his first "test" of a programming language he made, and the only command that worked was Print. He said it was already over 200 line sof code. So no, I don't think that's such a good idea...

unless somebody's up for it

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 08:00 Edited at: 9th Aug 2003 02:09
Hmmm, too easy.. Here's 2

68k assmebly based (syntax only). Virus machine compo engine concept
http://www.kyruss.underwaredesign.com

P-Basic Language (DB styled Syntax and a little more . The basis of a Robot AI engine.
http://www.kyruss2.underwaredesign.com

Both are basically dead now. If K2 would work in Dbpro then it'd still be on the cards.. Just crashes.. Maybe one day.

l8r,
Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:13
I would win...cause i now know how to write PE HEADERS and the binary forms of OPCODES...unless Raven or Emtpy did it...cuase they taught me...well mostly Empty taught me...and well i understand Parse tables and such nonsense that really just kills everyones love of computing...

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:25
thats insane who would be able to do it? Besides most of us are here to make games. Well maybhe some one can i dunno.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:25
ive already made a scripting language that can easily incorporate any db command...the only problem is getting variables and stuff like

variable = var1 * 2 + var3

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Software Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dbsgroup/
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 16:34
I can write the PE HEADER and Machine code...yeah i tried to make a scripting language...but you cant declare new variables...unless its a compiler...but you could make an array that had the variables added to the number of whats in the array to simulate the memory managment of a real language by adjusting the number of how many variables and have 2 rows, 1 for the variable and 1 for the name of the variable so it could be changed to what it is or used in equiations as it was called you can emulate a language pretty well...

Empty, it feels like i am a programing god...wow

Visual Programming Studio ORANGE
Replacement IDE for Dark Basic Professional...
(Will Be Availeable When This is Removed)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:07
well it'd be open to real, script, interpretation languages...
so what you know really wouldn't matter.

really if there was such a competition if i were you guys to hope that Ian & JAT didn't do anything because they could really give ya'll a run for your money.
(check out what they've got on thier resumé :: whilstles :: they've got serious skills and backgrounds)

thing is how would you be able to judge which is better than another?
i mean think about how many arguments there are about Blitz and Dark - you just can't really judge something like that when the degree gets so hight that really you need just as much knowlage and experience as the top programmers for it

then it'd only come down to bugs in the language, how certain parts of it handled data, capable data of being handled.
making a language is easi - making a stable language, now thats tricky

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:17
im confused. This clearly isnt for me. I'm atta here!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:20
So now Raven, LumaBasic. What's it written in? What's its status? How does it work?

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:20
ive already made a scripting language that can easily incorporate any db command...the only problem is getting variables and stuff like

variable = var1 * 2 + var3

Not that hard, actually. First write a replace string function and run this function through the expression, replacing variable names with values. You then have to solve the expression, and that's the hard bit. This code might help:

Dark basic v1 only, it used to work but I don't have it installed so I can't tell you:

However, I want to try and use the microsoft scripting engine expression solver to my advantage - I wonder if I can tie it into db?

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:35
LumaBasic was a test ... was written in nasm.
and i don't actually remember saying anything about it here, or on my forums outside of the Beta area.

so how exactly did you know about it?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 20:49
You have a weak memory.
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=13749&b=2

Quote: "
Structured Type/Functions, Pointers, Std Input/Output, Inline ASM, Arrays, Memory Allocation, 4/8/16/32/64/128 bit access, support and access to MMX/3DNow!/PowerNow!/SSE/SSE2 as well as complete and working access to the new x86-64 and ia64 systems (works a treat on my Athlon64)
"

Sure.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 21:52 Edited at: 8th Aug 2003 21:53
hmm... didn't remember posting that, i thought i'd kept it quiet.
but somehow you believe that achieving that is difficult?

binary data values are based per processor base...
-> 8086, 80286, 80386, x86-32, x86-64 ... the extensions for them are declared on first run, so if you have a Duron it'll start the 3DNow! & Mmx extensions and such. (same goes for the 80386 writech co-processor)
-> limitations of the binary data types are per processor
8086 - 4/8/16
80286/80386 - 4/8/16/32
x86-32 - 5/8/16/32/64
x86-64 - 4/8/16/32/64/128

shouldn't use a 64bit on the 386 processor although it can handle it was never ment for such data structuring and has a habit of overstacking and crashing.

Arrays / Memory Allocation / Pointers are essentially the same thing - the processor type dictacts the extensions capable of being used for these but they use thier own script to create based on a preset register set.
simple using an inline to change something like reg32[1] -> EAX

Inline ASM again is pretty simple to do as its effective passing code directly through the language to be built rather than being translated.

Stuructured Types and Functions took about 9days to figure out howto do them, ended up trying them into memory allocation with a call pointer.

--- ---

as i said its hardly a highly advanced language, with the exception of the builtin x86-64 extensions and registers it is essentially a normal language which you'd no doubt find something similar on Sourceforge.
All of the opcodes & registers for the Processor extensions are all freely available and not exactly hard to learn.

The setup is good though for multiple system development, because you can use a .cpu file to declare the processor registers (from a template given) so its able to program for any processor you can structure the registers for really.
And will also export executables the same way ...

lpec -c:file[x8632.cpu] -bin[win32.bef] -f[drive(0)partition(0)projectsmyproj.ls] -lib[io.llb;math.llb;kernelnt.llb;gui.llb] -inc[drive(0)partition(0)lumainc;drive(0)partition(0)lumawindowsinc] -debug:ascii[debug.txt]

the compiler setup is pretty simple yet looks a mess
the language also tends to look a mess at times, but is very simple.

the name changed because the syntax appearance is similar to c now, but only similar there are ALOT of differences.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 22:31
but somehow you believe that achieving that is difficult?
"

Actually I don't believe that you have achieved that. And your "explanation" explains, erm, nothing.
And how do you add PowerNow access/support to a language.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 23:18
PowerNow! is just the AthlonXP/AthlonMP extension on 3DNow!, AMD have a bunch of PDFs on it.
they have PDFs on everything you need to add support for everything, including thier 64bit processors.

although most can't get ahold of them you can still add some psuedo support.

i know my explaination explains nothing, because what exactly do you want to know? i mean i'm hardly going to sit here and explain how my Memory Management or Pointer system works now am i ... this isn't an opensource project.
you'll get a general overview and like - if you don't like it then well tough.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2003 23:25
Yay I got expression solving done in DBP.

However its a bit slow, the above took 0.23 seconds. I@ll post up the code later.

You are the th person to view this signature.
GRAVITY: I fought the law but the law won
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 00:47 Edited at: 9th Aug 2003 00:54
AMD's description of PowerNow:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1276_807%5E964,00.html

Might be a bit difficult to implement access to/support for it in a programming language, don't you think? Especially since it's got nothing to do with 3DNow (except the Now at the end).

EDIT:
For those of you who can't be bothered to read AMD's explanation:
PowerNow is AMD's technology to reduce power consumption of mobile processors.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 00:56
yeah whatever, from that i'd take it you DIDN'T download the technical aspect of it...

although it can be used for battery life it can also be used to impliment something called a flipflop - i take it you understand what that is?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 01:17
I did read it for a different reason (and way before this whole thread has started)

Although it can be used for battery life
"

The mere reason for its existance is to optimize battery life, and reduce heating.

can also be used to impliment something called a flipflop - i take it you understand what that is?
"

A flip flop is bistable gate. I'm not quite sure how this will bridge the gap between PowerNow and 3DNow

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:23