Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A question concerning DBPro And other Languages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 00:19
My question is, after learning DBPro, would a other PC Language, such as C++ be easier to learn? I ask since, at some point in the future, I might become a Professinal Game Designer, and since their arn't many companies using DBPro, I'm trying to decide if I should work with BDPro now, and switch to C++ later, or just go straight to C++. I realize that their are big differences between the two languages, but I've heard their are big similarities as well. Thank you for your time in advance.
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 02:07 Edited at: 9th Aug 2003 02:09
hmm.. with DBP you learn how work a programm with loops, conditions and other things very funny ^^
but it's a bit expensive if it is to learn programming, and when you have used DBP for a time, you mind using another language

I think the best is to choose to begin with the C++. try to find "Dev-C++" (it's free) and a good book (if you don't run very very fast, it isn't free ^^)

good luck

edit: here's Dev-C++ : http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 05:09
I probably agree because I find it hard now to relate any of my DBknowledge to C++ but someone who knows more than hello world in C++ may disagree :/

The man with no sig
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 07:04
If you plan to be a professional programmer for games with a gaming company I'd suggest you study C++ (IMHO). I am a devout and pro VB programmer and until .NET came along C++ programmers reigned supreme, but now that VB (VB.NET) is a truly Object-Oriented programming language the field has been leveled. This is all well and good for general programming in business and such but for gaming C++ and Assembly are where it's at. Be prepared for C++ to be a long and arduous task to undertake, and look into emerging technologies like C# (C-sharp) which is the newest version of C++ in the new .NET framework.

Just my opinion though,
good luck,
Rustler

How do ya do there son
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 07:07
PS

Not to mention that learning C++ gets you a ton of the way thru Java as well, and vica-versa, so there is a dual benefit.

Rustler

How do ya do there son
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 12:27
If you want to be a professional games developer and are currently still at school, it makes little difference what language you learn with, all of them will teach the same basic structure well. Instead concentrate VERY hard in your math and physics classes. I don't care what anyone might say, professional games developers need to have a rock solid grasp of math to a very high level and physics kinda helps too! It doesn't matter if you learn DB or C++, if you can't relate to the mathmatical operations going on you're not going to go anywhere fast I'm afraid. Make the most of your teachers, they're free!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
New DBS Web Sites Coming Soon - All Change
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 12:36
I want to see DBPro become a mainstreasm developers language. If the engine could be modified each time with new technology then games development time would be reduced greatly, due to the vastly reduced amount of time it takes to produce amazing results. Games that would normally take 2 years could be done in months.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 15:54
Sorry Moonshine but I just don't see that happening. Although DBP is good, it pales in comparison to today's commercial standards of games like Doom3 and Deus Ex 2.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 18:44
Yep I agree with Rich, thats why I'm looking at database programming now instead of games programming (I beleive its still hard work, but less maths and physics ).

The man with no sig
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 05:40
Wow! Wasn't expecting that good of a response! Thank you very much, especially Rich for the bit on the mathmatics. At this point, I think I'll stick with DBPro. My abilities with Mathmatics is good enough that if he's right, once I reach a certain point in my College years (2nd or 3rd proboly), I'll switch to C++ courses. And even then, College is still a good two or three years away for me, so five years or so to become a pro at DBPro! And Again, Thanks for all the response!

Regards,
Ryan Wilson

P.S. I agree with MOONSHINE to a degree. If the DarkBasic team were to work at it, DarkBasicPro could easily become a powerful engine fo game creation, enough to semi-equal C++ in power. And while it may never reach Doom 3 or Deus-Ex 2 Graphicalily, it will at least be able to make itself noticable to the world of PC Gaming.

keeblerElf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 07:11
On the topic of c++ and DB I've noticed something that has been bothering me...you can't use classes...or if you can they must be invisible to me because I've seen nothing of it anywhere in the Darkbasic booklet or help files...oh well I guess I'm just spoiled

Live life and play video games
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 00:15
KeeblerElf,

Yeah, no classes because DBP is NOT an Object Oriented Language in the slightest. DBP is very cool but it is more of a graphically enhanced version of procedural BASIC (Like QBasic on DirectX Steroids) It does incorporate light-weight versions of Functions and User Defined Types (which are technically "objects" but do not approach the power of classes found in a true OOP Language)

DBP is very cool either way
Rustler

How do ya do there son
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 00:37
DB is so close to C++ in places that if they added classes and indirection it would be Dark C++ Pro , basic was never much of a language for massive projects, but plenty of people wrote programs in the old days that ate all the memory on their 64k machines, and most of that was code, not 97 trillion colour animations and ten thousand poly models , ahh! the good old days, when 8x8 pixel images made for awesome graphics and most programs started "cls" LOL

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 19:50:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 19:50:37