Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A real db chat room

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 16:15
If i was to make a real DB chat room, i was just wondering if anyone would use it?

I know people have made IRC channels and stuff before, but this would be a real msn-style (but in flash) chat room, with profiles and stuff, etc.

Anyway, i don't want to set it up if no one will use it, and judging by all the unsuccessful db chat rooms out there, no one probably will use it. Tell me if im wrong
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 16:38
Yeah, it'll probably go the same way as all the others. It'd only be successful if there was a link to it on the DBPro site and forums. Sounds like a good idea but I don't know if anyone would use it.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 18:26
No offense, but there's a reason IRC has survived so long. It is a powerful, simple, easy-to-use chat system, the first real chat system as far as I am aware. I like it, and I think I'd stick with it...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 19:12
Mouse: I dont care if it`s the only way to personal salvation and immortality, if nobody wants to use it then it isn`t any use , I think what Shockforge is trying to do is find/offer a system that people would want to use, he`s aware that other chats have been tried and failed.
IMO chats don`t work for this kind of thing because you have people playing paper scissors rock while another persons rambling on about the girlfriend and more are spamming with gibberish, anybody who wants to talk about code most likely won`t find anyone willing to chat about that specific interest they may have, and then if they do it`s no better cos the other guy often decides to wash the dog and nip down the corner shop between sentences, so you are never sure if he is there anyway, you might as well just post on the forum.

Mentor.

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 19:25 Edited at: 9th Aug 2003 19:29
Yep I'm the one who talks crap on the DB IRC

The man with no sig
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 21:33
thanx mentor, you've just said all of the thoughts i had. it would be hard to support someone when there are 10 other people supporting each other, and with 20 other people talking gibberish.

and mouse, i don't have anything against IRC
Quote: "It is a powerful, simple, easy-to-use chat system"

quite powerful yes, simple and easy-to-use for newbs is a no.

Reasons why IRC has lasted so long:
1. It's old and has ALOT of well established channels and servers.
2. Uses hardly any resources compaired to other chat rooms. (IRC clients contain most of the engine needed to run).
3. Quickest way of establishing a free chat room. You don't have to find a good URL/ URL Redirection service, you don't have to find hosting that supports scripting/dynamic content, you dont have to find a script.

Reasons why IRC IS NOT the future:
1. There is no way of supporting the server other than donations. You cannot put advertisements on your server, so you have to support it for free.
2. Inaccessable. People would much rather type in an URL and end up at a chat room, than having to download an IRC client, typing in the server name, then typing in a channel. Newbs could also easily get confused (yes, the words /join #something could confuse new people).

Just my two pence

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 21:59
' if nobody wants to use it'

If nobody wants to use it, why are there almost always 6 to 10 people in the chatroom?

If somebody can't figure out how to type in '/join #Darkbasic', frankly, they have no business in a programming channel .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 22:09
Quote: "
If somebody can't figure out how to type in '/join #Darkbasic', frankly, they have no business in a programming channel "

this is very true.

although i have helped (or at least tried to help) db newbs who didnt even know how to make a new folder in windoze explorer. still, they dont deserve to chat, lol.

anyway, i decided not too due to the amount of failures before lol. i think the forums are more than adequate (alot of people class the general talk forum as a chat room anyway lol, with those one sentence reply wonders )

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 22:34
Maybe some time in the future it'll be neccessary .

Another reason I prefer IRC is that you have such a selection of tools to use it with. mIRC, Trillian, or the Jpilot if you like that. I like using trillian-- java applets annoy the heck out of me, they make my browser freeze while they load and slow my computer down.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2003 23:11
JPilot costs

And i havent seen a free java applet irc client before, maybe there are some out there.

but something i have to praise irc for: bots
especially those quiz bots, they are ace if you are very very bored

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 01:57
'JPilot costs '

Another reason why 3rd party chat programs don't make sense-- if they're good, they're going to cost . IRC is essentialy a free service, if you can set up/find a server.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 13:19
free service to you
hole in the pocket for the server owner.

and true, alot of chat scripts cost, but there are alot of free ones too. Say your a n00b, and you make a DBP game, you arnt going to try and sell it are you? (Well, some n00bs on this forum would lol). But i see this the same as the scripts makers. If your a n00b at JAVA, your not going to sell your JAVA chat room. Although it would be a crap chat room since a n00b made it. Ive just contridicted myself lol.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 16:16
The current irc DB chatroom couldnt really be called unsuccesfull, as there's nearly always at least 3-4 people online, and it had peaks of about 15 ppl online. Also, the chatroom is going to be featured on the new website using a javascript applet, so people wont have to download a client for it.
To connect to it in irc go to:

irc.coolchat.net

#darkbasic

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 02:48
hole in the pocket for the server owner

If I may put my philosophical hat on for a moment, and say something profound:

Servers come and servers go, but networks remain.

Oh my, I think I'm going to cry. Anyway, as a free service, it just joins the crowd; IM, Web, IRC, Gaming, BBoards etc....

The fact that IRC isn't quite "click a button and you're there" is a good thing in my opinion - keeps the pricks out. IM software is a dangerous thing. Unless you actively remove yourself from any open directories, you are confronted with empty headed morons (usually girls) who just want to "chat".

Man, I get enough of that "talking" crap with my girlfriend.

I opened the case to my PC today and thought, my exhaust fan sucks.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 03:00
I have an irc applet on my site that connects to the irc channel.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
there's already a DB chatroom at RGT but no one uses it.

www.realgametools.com/chat

i'm looking at yooooou!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 22:57
thats because RGT sucks

i still cant get over that YaBB forum, LOL. And the site tends to be down now and again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:33:52