Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Autowarrior progress, Early April

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 01:31 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 02:01
Hey this is what I have done so far for my Autowarriors game. I am in the process of replacing the original textures and using .x models for everything now. This is a load and scale test for the models in a temporary scenery. All the vehicles have to be the same scale and need to be in scale with the road, buildings, and other stuff. You probably can see also, non of the vehicles have wheels. That is because they will be attached within the program so they can be moved independently.

I did notice some goofy things going on with Milkshape and Dark Basic loading the meshes that loose the alpha settings for the car windows, but this can be easily reset within the program.

Sorry about the missing file if you attempted to download this file earlier.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 02:37
You've got a decent set of models. Obviously a long way to go- you may as well have just posted up screenshots, but i guess the download isn't that big. I'll reserve suggestions until you're further along. Presumably you're not stuck for things to do. You seem to have got quite a bit of media in a fairly short space of time, so this bodes well for you getting this done. Good luck!
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:12
Sounds cool, but please post a screenshot .

<---Spell casting battle game!
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:13
screenies?

New Site! Check it out \/
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:24
Oh OK, Sorry, will have to write a screenshot snapper, but can you download the attachment to the top post. It includes the source code. I am looking for opinions about the look of the game, and suggestions about improving the scenery at this point. If you been following, Autowarriors is a Autoduel like game but being done all in 3D. Next thing I have to start working on is character creation and custom car creation screens. You will have an x amount of dollars at the beginning of the game to build a first vehicle.
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 04:02
Uhh, you do know about print screen, right?

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 04:34
No, was not aware that print screen did anything in Dark Basic, but did program it to snap a screen shot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
For the love god. Please don't use .bmps. .jpegs or .pngs please.

And can we get some more info on the game?

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 05:35
Autowarriors is a Role Playing Game where you can create your main character and purchase a vehicle. It is based on the old game "Autoduel", it can be downloaded here - http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/492/Autoduel.html. It was an 2D DOS game on the PC, also had a Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit, Apple II versions. I am transforming into a 3D world. Several changes are being made, along with some additions, mostly for the sake of avoiding copyright problems. It was based on a board game called "Car Wars". From what I gather it was like a Car Battle version of Dungeons & Dragons.

Things I am changing are like the "Assembly Plants" (where you build your car) will be Auto Dealerships that buy & sell used cars, or buy a new one. All the stuff is going to more "Real World" like will have something that looks like an actual highway between the cities. I have a list of the differences I am making. One thing I am doing is a much larger list of vehicles.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 22:17
The most important thing is the game engine. How is this going to play? Like a real time racing/ combat game like Twisted Metal or Carmageddon, or like a turn-based tabletop game?

You should use an image host for your screenys if you want more people to see them and replay. I use photobucket. Then you can make images appear in this thread without people having to click "download". Also use jpeg because they are much smaller than bitmaps (so they don't take an age to download)

You asked for feedback on the graphics - i'd say the environment could do with a bit more variety. You should also get a skybox or sphere. Play with the lighting. You probably would like shiny cars. There are a number of ways to do this. I would recommend shaders because they are modern and well supported here. I don't know much about them but intend to learn. Putting shadows under the cars would be a good idea too- just use dark ghosted plains with a blurred image of the car viewed from above on them.
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 04:24
I intend to make it all real time racing/combat and even considering doing a online multiplayer port of the game also. I consider the game semi Role Playing, but not a true RPG since character development is not extensive like Dungeons & Dragons. There is so much more modern computers can do now since the original Autoduel game. Not sure if anyone remembers that game, but it took 4 floppy disks to store everything. I plan on throwing in more stuff like a police force roving inside the world, and if you choose to become criminal, they come after you. I am fine tuning the game design, deciding what to include in the game and which methods to generate graphics.

Those are some good ideals about how to make the graphics. I have not came to the point of doing anything with the sky, been looking to do something more with the terrain. I am starting to work on the character, car creation screens at this point, and other needed GUI screens.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:55