Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / an engine that reads Wolfenstein 3D map data for its maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 01:45 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 08:40
Included are the Wolfenstein 3D shareware map files straight from the shareware version of the game. If you have the registered version of the game, just drop it's maphead.wl6 and gamemaps.wl6 files into the DarkWolf folder and DarkWolf will automatically load those up instead of the shareware maps.

Now included with the game are 60 original maps that can also be played with a registered version of Wolf3D (just copy my wl6 files in to the Wolf3D folder).

Controls
WASD Moves around, mouse turns your view.

1 Switches to Pistol
2 Switches to Machine Gun (if you have it)
3 Switches to Gattling Gun (if you have it)

E opens doors / activates objects

N No Clip toggle. Cheat code! Bwahahaha!

PageUp/PageDown currently lets you cycle between maps.

ESC quits

Errata
No errata that I'm aware of at the moment.

Pathfinding data now builds nearly instantaniously. The resulting framerate is about double now. I still haven't tested it on lower end systems, so if you have a lower end system, please let me know how it works out for you.

Guards, Dogs SS are now in place. The models are taken from DarkMatter 1. The textures of the Guard and SS models have modified textures intended to make them more reminiscent of the original game. The dogs still need retexturing to look like German Shepherds.

Also, the model animation system has been designed to be flexible enough that one can simply replace the .x files with new .x files that have the proper animations. This is so that the game doesn't have to be recompiled to take replacement models and animations.

The only thing stopping me from making more enemies is a lack of models to work with. If anyone would like to help out with the models, we can wrap this game up. I'd also like to get some models going for the decorations, such as the lamps, tables, barrels, wells, and whatnot.

Remember all that time in school that you complained that math is useless and you'll never need to know trig or calc? Guess what. If you're reading this, you need them.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 02:34
Ooo, this looks really cool. So are going to remake Wolfenstein once you're done with this?

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:11 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 03:17
Remake? No... Not exactly... Sort of a kind of reimplement... To revitalize the ancient maps levels...

I just finished moving all of the map unpacking routines into functions and making it unpack the first 2 layers. (As I said, layer 3 is always unused in all 60 of the original Wolf3D levels...)

Next up is drawing the map. Working on that part now.

Everything I needed to know about trigonometry, I learned by becoming a game programmer.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:21
Sounds like a cool idea . Does this mean that you could even add levels to your version using the old map editor?

<---Spell casting battle game!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 03:52
Quote: "Does this mean that you could even add levels to your version using the old map editor?"

That's exactly what it means... Right now I have a VERY simple routine going where it's loading the map's walls up. It's not texturing them or anything.

Need a simple FPS mouse handler routine, that's one thing I've never bothered making because all my games so far have either been 2D or they used a joystick.

Everything I needed to know about trigonometry, I learned by becoming a game programmer.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 07:37 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 21:57
From here on, I will be posting the latest release to the original post.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 08:45
Classic! The walk through seems to work just fine (as described). Glad to see you've worked out the compression.

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 18:10 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 18:38
RiiDii, I'm going to begin working on the collision code today. Plan on doing doors after that. Do you have any suggestions about how to go about texturing the floors? I really don't want to go about putting YET ANOTHER set of wall blocks down to act as the floor. But as you can see from my first screenshot, the level data does actually, rather surprisingly, contain room sector information. That could be used for determining where to put floor tiles at the very least.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to actually go and construct the levels out of planes rather than cubes? I think it might cut down on the number of polygons even more. Or would that be overkill? On the first level, when back all the way out of the level so that everything is visible, I get about 390fps. But when in the level, it seems to never go below 800fps.

(edit) I made it use planes and cull any planes that wouldn't be visible and you know what happened? The framerate dropped even though the polycount went WAY down. What's up with that? however, I'm not culling the planes that are up against other planes yet.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 20:53 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 20:54
Quote: "(edit) I made it use planes and cull any planes that wouldn't be visible and you know what happened? The framerate dropped even though the polycount went WAY down. What's up with that? however, I'm not culling the planes that are up against other planes yet."

This is probably because DBPro runs slower the more objects you have, a solution would be to create the plains as limbs to one or a few main objects, leaving you with a low object count and a low poly count, which should give you an increase in speed.

Here is an example program I made to demonstrate:

Notice the command "set object radius o,-1" used when creating the objects, this is because without using this command it would go faster with 1000 object because of the automatic culling system.

I don't have Wolfenstein so I can't check it out but it looks cool so far.

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 22:05
Quote: "I don't have Wolfenstein so I can't check it out but it looks cool so far."

Actually, I included maps file from the Shareware version of Wolfenstein, so you can actually check it out.

For now, I'm just going to stick with using cubes.

Anyway, I've managed to get collisions going, but collisions are sucking off about 500 fps on my system. I'm considering making it dynamically add and remove collisions based on the nearest walls. There's no real reason to check collisions with wall segments that you're not adjacent to.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 22:27
The more walls you check with the slower it goes. I'm sure that having collision set to walls slows anything down. However, I am assuming that you are using Sparky's. This project looks awesome, and on a side note is similar to my old game Revenge; only we tried remaking DOOM.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 23:39 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 23:41
Quote: "Actually, I included maps file from the Shareware version of Wolfenstein, so you can actually check it out."

Ok, I downloaded the latest version and it works good until I try to switch maps. For some reason the screen isn't clearing(missing a cls?) so I get a wierd effect(shown below)

It also seems that the collision is messed up when switching the level. It might be keeping the collision from the last map with the new one? If you are using Sparky's did you make sure you deleted it with sc_removeobject? I also noticed that everything seemed choppy even though I was getting a decent 50 to 80 fps.

Quote: "Anyway, I've managed to get collisions going, but collisions are sucking off about 500 fps on my system. I'm considering making it dynamically add and remove collisions based on the nearest walls. There's no real reason to check collisions with wall segments that you're not adjacent to."

The dynamic collision is a good idea and could easily be done with the commands "sc_objectcollisionon" and "sc_objectcollisionoff". About how many objects are you checking collision with?

Attachments

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 00:28
Nice work! Are you going to be using this for an original game? You mentioned something about a map pack. I've always wanted to do something like this, though I never got around to it.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 00:40 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 00:41
This is a neat idea, I like it! Are you going to use full 3D models for the enemies and items? or have sprites like the original?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 02:37
Quote: "Ok, I downloaded the latest version and it works good until I try to switch maps."

The ceiling and floor objects getting creamed when the assets get cleared when loading the new level. I already fixed it before you said anything, just haven't released it yet The next release is going to have unlocked doors.

Quote: "It also seems that the collision is messed up when switching the level. It might be keeping the collision from the last map with the new one"

Probably is, I'll look into it.

Quote: "Are you going to be using this for an original game?"

Maybe. I'm still up on whether I want to charge like $1 for a version that can read more than the shareware levels or if I want to opensource it and make it a community project. Or maybe do a little of both while not allowing the $1 version to have anything from the community project in it (I wouldn't feel right charging for a version of it that other people contributed code or assets to).

Quote: "Are you going to use full 3D models for the enemies and items? or have sprites like the original?"

3D models if I can get around to making them. Until I do, however, I'll be using the game's original sprites.

-----------

Anyway, my doors are working but the sounds for them only work if they're not positional... Trying to figure that out before the next release...

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 03:32 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 04:39
Alright, fixed the aforementioned bugs with changing levels. Added doors and 3D sounds for the doors. Grab the latest zip from the first post

Also, now the elevators should be texturing properly (switch on the far side of the elevator rather than handrails on all three sides) as well as elevator walls can now be activated to advance to the next level. Secret elevators do not advance you to the secret level yet. Also, the episode completion trigger room still does not work.

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 15:49 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 15:49
The Secret rooms don't work

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 17:05
Yeah, I believe I mentioned that secret rooms don't work yet. This is afterall a WIP Secret room support will be coming soon.

I'm posting a new binary that billboards the sprites properly. Also, it has support for all non-NPC sprites now. I made the wood stove have a bit of an orange light to it. Haven't seen that in operation yet, hope it looks good.

Also, I've made Dark Wolf let go of the mouse if the window loses focus (Alt+Tabbing out)

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 19:32
Would you believe I now have all pickups being pickupable and working as you'd expect? Although I've increased the bullet limit from the original Wolf3D's 99 to 500...

You still can't use guns though, and there are no NPCs. Those should come very soon. But the next task on the list is locked doors, secret doors, and possibly secret elevators.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2009 21:26 Edited at: 7th Apr 2009 21:26
Hmm... Ok, I found a really wierd bug. When I try to start it up the game crashes on the part where it says "loading door 1." But, if I have task manager open it runs fine, no crashing?! Anyway, it seems to be coming along very nice, and fast too.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 01:24 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 01:32
Quote: "Ok, I found a really wierd bug. When I try to start it up the game crashes on the part where it says "loading door 1.""

Odd... I doubt it's in this next version, considering I just play tested it from a new folder to make sure.

I also fixed a bunch of crashes with the pickups collision system and optimized the engine a bit.

OH! Also, gold key locked doors are in place (actually, I don't really remember, is either key supposed to unlock locked doors?)

AND! Secret Doors (but not Secret Elevators) are active... Well, Secret Elevators are half active... They just take you to the next level instead of the secret level.

There's only a few more things left about map handling. Namely elevator doors, secret elevators going to the bonus level, and episode completion room triggers.

After that, I have to design the AI and guns...

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 20:17
Elevator doors and secret elevators are now working. I also redid the floor and ceiling using gridded plains instead of matrices. This should allow for more advanced shading techniques.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 04:20 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 04:20
This is very impressive! Are you going to try and keep it retro, or add per-pixel lighting, normal mapping, etc.? Regardless of which way you take it I look forward to seeing the finished product.

i like orange
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 04:26
Quote: "This is very impressive! Are you going to try and keep it retro, or add per-pixel lighting, normal mapping, etc.?"

Both, actually... It'll be an option...

Currently, I'm using the DM2 model to test guards for AI and combat... Right now, I have all the easy difficulty guards loading up and facing the right direction. They're also animating.

Does anyone have a list of the frame indexes for the DM2 models? My workflow here consists of sitting through some 100,000+ frames and guessing at where each animation is supposed to start and end. It certainly doesn't help that the models are actually animated in a smoothly flowing sequence from one to the other...

Anyway, as for combat, I have a basic pistol working that is killing the guards. On death, the guards are currently just vanishing, no sounds or animations. Also, they don't shoot back yet... Just very preliminary stuff that I'm not ready to release...

After I get the guards AI fully working with models, I'll work on the enemy sprite system for the retro look.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 05:54
YAY!

A pistol and test enemy have been added in. He doesn't move around or shoot back yet, that'll come next. You can shoot him, kill him, and pick up the ammo he drops. The pistol can run out of ammo if you don't pick any up.

Also, I believe I've smoothed out the performance on the game. I had some errors in my timer based movement that made it still be sensitive to time... Now it should be working just fine.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 06:47
It's really comming along nice. I did a quick run through and didn't find any errors, but like I said it was quick. Also, the movement is alot smoother.

Keep up the good work!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 18:25
DM2 Model Animations from a post somewhere around here that I saved a while back :

<---Spell casting battle game!
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 19:25 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 19:30
thank you, sixty squares!

Now that I've got the animation frames worked out, also, I've tested syncing the enemy's shooting sound with their animations, I'm about to crack open DarkAI and get to work on the last bit of magic the game needs.

The next release will also include the music from Episode 1. Might release it with the enemies only chasing after you though, not shooting yet... I've never used DarkAI before even though I've had it for a couple years now.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:14
Those animation ranges are HUGE! I suggest you to reduce the animations :/ They are just gonna drain FPS.

Also great work there Lucy!

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 03:21 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 06:29
I've uploaded a new version with both music and AI that actually chase you down.

However, there appears to be a bug where, after advancing to level 2, the AI system produces a crash about object 0 not existing. I'm going to have to track that down.

(edit) I've solved that bug, but there's also a performance issue with complex levels. This performance issue is because I'm being cheap on determining the path finding boundaries. I have to create routine to efficiently generate the path fnding boundaries. Going to work on that now.

If you have a low end system, this will probably be nigh unplayable on more complex levels until I finish working up this path finding boundary drawing code. On my system, even the most complex levels yield about 30fps with some levels yielding over 1000fps. That's a huge performance drop there. On my lower end test rigs, the frps drops to 5 or so.

So if you have a low end system, please wait till the next release.

White Fang 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 15:24
I have a few problems with this version, first of all it put me on level 2 to begin with. Second I really like the Lighting you put in but the map can't have it, Because since in the original Wolf 3d the entire level had the same light level you could see perfectly, but in this you can only see where lights are and some locations have no light so it is impossible to see. Speaking of not seeing some times the fog makes see the other end of a room impossible.

I know I wrote a lot of things I don't like, but I do like a lot of things, the controls are smooth, when the lamps are in a room the lighting looks very good. The AI is well stupid, i mean this as its stupid enough to be wolf 3D AI.

One other problem i have, and this is not a real problem isyou haven't made any other enemies or guns

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 18:01 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 21:09
Quote: "I have a few problems with this version, first of all it put me on level 2 to begin with. Second I really like the Lighting you put in but the map can't have it, Because since in the original Wolf 3d the entire level had the same light level you could see perfectly, but in this you can only see where lights are and some locations have no light so it is impossible to see. Speaking of not seeing some times the fog makes see the other end of a room impossible."

Yeah, I had it going there for testing, forgot to switch it back... I'd upload a new one to fix that, but the code is currently tied up in a change of how the AI is given its boundaries... This is going to take a day or two more because I've never done anything like this before. As for the fog, I put in a generous view distance to force the engine to cull blocks on some levels. It's because on really complex maps, you have so many seperate objects. The fog will stay until I've made a binary heap tree to keep track of which room you're in and only also render the rooms connecting to it by a door.

Quote: "I know I wrote a lot of things I don't like, but I do like a lot of things, the controls are smooth, when the lamps are in a room the lighting looks very good. The AI is well stupid, i mean this as its stupid enough to be wolf 3D AI.

One other problem i have, and this is not a real problem is you haven't made any other enemies or guns "

Yeah, I know the AI is stupid. It's DarkAI, it's not meant to be intelligent. It's also a very quick and partial implementation. Thing is, the real Wolf3D has "deaf guards" which don't come when they hear gunshots in other rooms. What I need to do is write my own sound alert code rather than using DarkAI so that the deaf guards will come if they hear a gunshot or noise in their own room.

As to no other enemies or guns. I'm releasing this as I make major strides. The first release from a particular stride is always limited to get feedback and run testing and optimization. After it's fully optimized and the system works exactly as it should, then I've been fleshing it all out.

The next release is going to be the same excepting that the AI system will be taking a much more efficiently generated path finding map.

The release after that, if everything goes well, will have all three of the original guns, plus officers and dogs fully working.

After officers and dogs, the next task is super guards, mutants and bosses.

Once those guys are worked out, then comes the menu system.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 09:56 Edited at: 11th Apr 2009 18:03
I've made a special compile that has calculates the lighting with Dark Lights. I will however be disabling this in the main build for now. Mainly because of the sheet time it takes to calculate all the lighting data.

Instead, once I figure out how to store a cache of a level, I'll be having it store that and provide a seperate utility to go through and precache all the lighting.

At the moment, there are a few bugs that have to be worked out. Mainly with lighting up the AI and other non lightmapped objects.

Also, only level 1 lightmaps properly. I know what the problem is but I have to concentrate more on the fixing AI's performance issues.

Attachments

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 00:45
Almost done with the new AI obstacle code... It got hung up when there was a lone wall block floating in the middle of the room. Have to add a special cse for that. Also, the AI obstacle map ended up rotated. 90 degrees.

Remember all that time in school that you complained that math is useless and you'll never need to know trig or calc? Guess what. If you're reading this, you need them.
Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 08:52
Ok, have all of that worked out... Getting about double the framerate on level 1 now... Not sure how to improve it further.

Also, I'm switching to Dark Matter 1 models for now. Also, I've modified the way the animations work so that one can easily mod the models by dropping in different .x files that have their own animations. Basically, I used the Dark Matter 1 method of storing animations to the game's modable advantage.

Expect both dogs and officers in the next release. After that, I plan on doing Hans Grosse (the Episode 1 boss) and adding in extra guns!

Anyway, bed time now.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 01:35 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 02:03
YAY! The new pathfinding system is complete and should not cause any crashes. If the game seems to freeze up during level load, please let me know what level you were loading up when it happened.

Guards, Dogs, and SS are now in the game. Oh and dogs cannot not open doors! Guards drop no items and SS drop machine guns.

Also, I've made the AIs more likely to respond to gunfire in nearby rooms.

Next up is Hans Grosse and more weapons.

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 02:59
Wow, it comming along really nice. Not much to say, everything ran perfectly.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 03:02
Quote: "Wow, it comming along really nice. Not much to say, everything ran perfectly."

Glad you like it. I just updated the archive with the machine gun and gatling gun...

Hans Grosse's code is ready, but I like a proper model... He's a big guy, wears an SS uniform (so blue uniform) and has an affinity for dual gattling guns.

Here's an article about him on the Wolfenstein wiki.

http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Hans_Grosse

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 06:40
I just get a black screen when I try to run it.

Specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit
Nvidia 8800 GTS w/640mb
Intel Quad Core
2 GB of Memory

That's all of the top of my head so if you need any other info let me know.

It certainly looks cool. I tried something awhile back, I developed a bit of it using a placeholder level design and media but never got around to reading in the WL6 files (or WL1 for shareware I think). I certainly wish I could get the original Wolf3D and Borland Compiler to work right under Vista, I loved modding that thing. Had quite a good Spear of Destiny mod going on with some features I don't think had ever really been seen before (plus some cool drawing effects, although the ability to change the player height didn't work right with the floor/ceiling code) but when I switch to Vista I kinda lost momentum.

Lucy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 07:49
Airslide, have you tried running it using administrator mode? DBPro games have a bit of a problem with Vista if you don't do that. They also tend to have a problem with copies of Vista that haven't been updated. As I understand it, SP1 and above should be fine.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 05:21
I'm using SP1 w/UAC disabled. Everything else works fine

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 14:22
just a tip that will make this game look truly classic

use "object filter off" or what ever the command is again, it will turn of texture filtering and give it that real "80's" look

Your mod has been erased by the signature
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 17:55
i think its `set object filter` the parameters that takes is object number and mode. I think 0 is all off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:15