Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / morrowwind like loading?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 20:34
hi i dont know if any of you have played morrowwind but im trying to make a game a little like that.but what im not sure about is how objects are loaded like in mw. ?

does it depend on the distance from the player for the game to load the 3d model?? im talking about when your outside and it seems like the world goes on forever.
does anyone know how to code something like this?? where like a tree is loaded before your player can see it. i know im rambomling lol
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 23:23
You would first load all of the objects to have them in memory. Then, you would position them where they would all show up when you can see them. Finally you would use a FOR-NEXT loop to go through all of your objects and if they are a certain distance away then either hide them or show them. I don't have time for an example right now, but if I find time I'll write you one.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

That's what they WANT you to think...
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2009 23:32 Edited at: 6th Apr 2009 23:33
yeah i understand. is that how mw does it? im looking for the best way that wont kill frame rate.

i think they use something called cells. but i have no idea how to code something like that!
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 20:38
Quote: "i think they use something called cells"

From what I recall, all of the interiors are separate cells, but the outside world is a continuous area where objects are loaded as you get close to them. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that somewhere.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 20:47
Quote: "From what I recall, all of the interiors are separate cells, but the outside world is a continuous area where objects are loaded as you get close to them. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that somewhere."

They might treat the outside world as a grid of cells, and only load objects in the players cell and surrounding cells. That would prevent the game from having to check every single object with a distance function, and mean you only have to check which grid cell the object is in.

lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 07:40
the way that this was accomplished for the iterior was just to go to a loading screen and load all the objects and stuff for this place only, but in the exterior world they like to have cells that line up next to eachother, clearly there are a few loading points in this game and they have multiple cells loaded at the same time just hidden depending on your distance.

If you wanted to make something like this it would be really difficult because having to line up the cells will take alot of t&e and alot of work needs to be put in to making the cells exact on the edges..

i would suggest looking into the oblivion mod tool to have a look and work out the system they have in place so that you dont have to totally come up with a fresh idea....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:15:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:15:31