Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How do I install windows XP?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 02:28
When I started my new computer it went in to ms dos prompt. I put in my win xp cd but nothing shows up. What am i supposed to type? I tried putting in C:\winxp.exe or do i need the name of my cd rom drive? (wich i dont know) all i get is an "invalid command" and things like that. Can anyone help?

thanks
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 02:44
3 ways

a) load windows - put the CD in and follow the onscreen instructions
b) turn on CD Booting & let the CD boot up following the onscreen instructions
c) boot from a Windows9x bootdisk, and run CDRom:\i386\winnt.exe - it should set everything up normally.

but it is far simpler (and quicker) to install a previous version of windows 9x and install ontop of it

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 02:51 Edited at: 10th Aug 2003 02:52
Restart the comp and look for how to get into the bios.
Something like del to setup.
When you are in the bios look for boot order and change it so cdrom is checked first exit and save and when it restarts it will boot from the xp cdrom.

You can proberly install from the prompt if the cddrivers are installed.
to find the cd drive try
dir d:
dir e:
dir f:
if one of them returns a list of files and reads from the cd it's the cd drive letter. if it's d

d:
dir *.exe

There is proberly a setup.exe or install.exe
run one by typing in the name e.g.
setup
and hopfully setup will start.

It is odd that it's not preinstalled. Did you buy it from someone reputable? Have you got a holograpic serial number thing? Just sounds like it might not be legitimate if it's not already installed.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2003 16:32
yea wincht that is exactly wat i needed to do. But this is an IBM so it doesnt let you change the boot order from the setup. I got a special boot order disk and the cd rom driver started working and so i installed Windows ME cause XP froze during installation (something with the cd)

Thanks everyone!
Deceased
Years of Service
User Offline
Guess what?....

You could have downloaded a boot disk with CD Rom support from Bootdisk.com and installed it clean...

Oh well...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:34:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:34:26