Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / FTP Server, Online Game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, Im trying to make an online text based game with dbpro, however, im not sure how to transfer data between player, data such as position, level ect, and how to keep usernames and passwords stored, would i need a FTP server, although im not sure what that is. could someone please explain the best way to do this, if i can be done,

thanks
nightmare

Omricon W.I.P
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 05:15
An FTP server is basically just a server for storing files that your game could load.

Your best bet for this kind of game is to check out a 3rd-Party multiplayer plugin (Multisync is one that comes to mind).

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah okay. thanks . i was thinking maybe the MYSQL plugin?

Omricon W.I.P
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 05:32
I don't know much about MySQL, but I think it's a lot like FTP - great for storing data and stuff, but not really fast enough for multiplayer games.

Do a forum title search for DarkTCP or Multisync - those are the two I hear about most.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 17:57
Multisync or DarkNet - Those are going to be your best choice for a network library. They would be used to transfer the data for position, location, etc. You'll have to pick one that has the capabilities you need.

MySQL and the required plugin - MySQL is a database server application that you would have to download and run on a secure system. The MySQL Plugin for DBPro allows you to access data stored on the MySQL database with your DBPro game server application, which would be exposed to the internet so people could log in.

The MySQL database is where you would store the username and password, and any other data about the player that needs to be stored in between the times they play.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thanks, so maybe a combination of mySQL and multisync maybe?

Omricon W.I.P
Nizze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 18:04 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 18:07
MySQL with DBP is a bit to slow for making a MOG/MMO, to be honest.
Although since you said it's going to be text based, that might not be an issue, although it's your call.

You mentioned a combination - I'm right now creating (or well, trying to create ) a "MySQL Request Handler",
combining the two of RattleCustler's SQL plugin and DarkNet. More specificaly, you send your request string to the server,
it executes it (if you're on localhost the connection doesn't take as long time - <1ms), and then sends back the data retrieved (if any).
You can try putting this together yourself, or email me at nizze@nizze.net and I'll send the application to you when (if) it gets done

EDIT: Oh and also, I think this way is a safer way too, by only letting root@localhost in to the server, instead of providing direct access for everyone to the database.

-- Nizze

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 21:18
A typical MMO server would not be constantly saving and reloading data from the database. Everything for the persistent world would be loaded into memory at startup, then each player's values would be loaded when they log on, and everything would be saved at regular intervals or when a player logs off to maintain those values. Asking any database to keep up with the volume of data that gets sent back and forth during the running of an MMO would be far to much work.

- Load it
- Work with it in memory
- Save it only when necessary

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 08:22:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 08:22:08