Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello everyone. Just found this program.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I have a small bit of game making experience, I come from from Game Maker, ( http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker ). It works by dragging the commands you want, editing a few values and it's done. It was really good for me to start out, but I wanted to move on.

So I found this website by reading the HYPER > magazine, now I'm not entirely sure which program I want, there's about 10 different things I can download: DarkBasic, Darkbasic PRO, FPS Creator, etc.

I'm just wondering which would you suggest I use first to start out, and then move on to what? Also, would I be able to create an FPS using just Darkbasic software, and is the FPS creator just made so it's a lot less of a hassle to make a FPS? Sorry to be a pest, but this is still rather new to me . Game Maker was very beginner friendly.
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 13:25
FPSCreator is much closer to the Game Maker software that you have been using than Dark Basic and Dark Basic Pro.

The two DBs are complete(ish ^_^) programming languages. There is nothing 'drag and drop' about them. You start with a complete blank slate and have to program line by line, coming up with code to do everything....and I mean everything!
e.g. You'd need to write code for:
Reading input from the user and dealing with it
Loading the levels
Collisions
AI
etc.

The forums are a great source of help, but if you don't have a mathematic and/or logical mind, and you just want to create an FPS, I'd go with the creator.

That said, personally I love the DBs for their flexibility!

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
Hello_Joe_123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 15:22 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 15:54
Okay, I'm going to try out the FPS Creator, I'll tell you how it goes. I tried out Darkbasic pro but it seems just a bit too advanced for me as of right now. Pure programming hurts my brain.

Do you suggest DX10, or the normal one? My computer could run the DX10 version, but what if I let my friends play the game? Will I have to use the normal FPS creator for everyone to be able to run myg ame?
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
fps creator is to simple use dark basic pro i learned it in like a week (well how to make a fps) it is the most simple thing ever it seems hard at first but is very easy (and it makes you seem clever i have made a game that is 300 lines long it sounds hard but some of the (well about 20) lines are just endif)

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 08:02
i wish i knew how to use fps creator atm im not maths wiz and im mostly artistic and have been doing okay with dbp so far...
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i wish i knew how to use fps creator"

Er... what? Didn't know it was that hard to use, just drag & drop.

pc nerd
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 12:13
fps creator is easer then dark basic pro, you just drag and drop everything in your level with in the editor then press play.
just as Veron said.

dweeb
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 12:33
the part of getting everything how i want it is difficult, not the actual making a game part....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:19:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:19:07