Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Planetary System Defense

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 08:20 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 09:38
PSD is a strategy-defense platform game.

Basics:
Evil aliens are attacking your system. For reasons known only to them, they are bent on destroying the star that provides life-giving light and heat to the planets in the system.

Defend the system against the onslaught of alien invasion forces. Wave after wave will arrive to destroy your civilization. Early waves will require building defenses on planets. As your research and resources increase, you will be able to build satellite defense systems that have further range and greater accuracy, but have only limited resources (requiring re-supplies for a cost).

Eventually, you will be able to develop massive defensive structures (missile yards, star bases, etc.) and even massive star ships that can directly engage incoming enemy ships.

This all assumes that you are able to defend your star against the alien attacks. If the star takes too much damage, game over dude.

Done:
Planetary system layout and artwork
Planets, star, asteroid belt
Orbiting code
Basic 2D animated buttons for selecting a planet (will open an attached menu)
Additional object-based code for later use.
Camera controls
Move (click+hold mouse wheel and move mouse)
Zoom in/out (roll mouse wheel)
Quick-zoom window (right-click+hold and point)

ToDo List:
Make alien ships (anyone want to make some models?)
Coding
Alien attack AI
Combat/Damage
Menus/Sub menus
R&D
Alien attack wave generation
Resources
Splash-screen
Start menu
Restart/Exit menu
Save/Load
Credits
Other stuff I haven't thought of.

Eye-candy:

Planetary_System_Defense.rar

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 09:31
hard to get a feel of what gameplay is going to be like from the description. "strategy-defense platform game" isn't a genre i've heard of (not that i've heard of a lot ), but it looks & sounds interesting, riidii.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 09:46
Have a go... a few of my favorites... you might like:

Storm-Astrum-Defense

XenoTactic

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 10:29
ok that's what i imagined. sort of a tower defense game but yours is 3d and multiple "maps" at once, right?

i've been hooked on tower defense(s) lately... the games you linked will be a nice distraction... until yours comes out

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 17:50
While I am using 3D objects, it will still be a "top-down" view (I might allow the camera to angle off for more of a 3D). At this time, multiple maps are not intended. That might be for V2. If this goes to multiple maps, then this will become more of a full RTS game.

The major difference with this game is taking into consideration the orbits of each planet. Planets that are further out can hit alien ships sooner, but might be out of range for some time. Planets that are closer to the star are more likely to be in range, but are more of a last-defense. The secondary difference in this game is the lack of walls (or other obstacles), which the enemy must navigate around and allows for a concentrated defense point. A few levels into the game, the player will be able to deploy mine fields, which - from an AI perspective - will be areas to avoid, basically; "walls."

Quote: "i've been hooked on tower defense(s) lately"

XenoDefense hit the learning curve on the spot, imo, making it a great game. The only problem is that the final level is unbeatable (although I have seen some vids of folks beating it, I suspect those are with cheats).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:22:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:22:50