Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / matrix balls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 03:35
how would you make a matrix ball (juast a mastrix you can walk on like a normal one that is shaped like a ball? thanx
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 07:55
Make a ball, find the vertex heights and mold a matrix to it setting each matrix point to the vertex heights.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 09:08
if you get a chance, could you make a snippet for me? thanx...

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 09:32
You can't have a spherical matrix!

You would have to load and use an object (Eg a .X file).

TDK
Beta1
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do it with 2 matrixes though....

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 18:14
you can indeed, but getting the ground height around the equator would be...er..interesting, if this is for something like fps then the best way is just bulge the matrix and use an array and scroll matrix to bring the world around again after so long, that would be easier and doesn`t give any problems with reduceing player steps as the lattitude decreases to prevent his speed increaseing in the verticle plain.

Mentor.

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2003 22:46
thanx for tthe help guys

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 01:30
Even with two matrices, you cannot make a sphere!

A matrix when viewed from above is RECTANGULAR - you cannot deform it to make a circle - something you would need to do to make a sphere.

Sorry...

TDK
brittd
Years of Service
User Offline
You can still do it TDK, just don't texture the extra square, leave them blank and invised.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 05:26
OK, I challenge you (or anyone else) to create a sphere with two matrices. You just can't do it!

The intersection points of matrix tiles can be altered along the Y axis, but those intersection points can never ever have the same X and Z position in 3D space as in plan view, the width and height values of each tile has to remain contant.

For that reason, you cannot get vertical matrix tiles - which you would need for around the sphere's equator. Therefore, the nearest you would get is something similar to below, which is certainly not spherical.

Your non-textured corners made transparent would also stick out at each corner making it impossible to use the matrix for walking on.

Then there's the problem of walking upside down on the underside of the second matrix, (because you can't rotate them)...

TDK
keeblerElf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 05:27
Just make a sphere...seems a whole lot easier to me...you could use a constant instead of get ground height() and you could easily texture and rotate it

Live life and play video games
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2003 18:32
TDK man is right.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 19:44:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 19:44:24