Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Pros / Cons of .X against .DBO

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wotcha, all.

What do most people here use for their 3D worlds when loading into DBPro? .X or the .DBO format?

In dimbo terms (me) can you explain the merits of each please?

The .DBO format seems to offer more in the way of lighting.

Many thanks.

T
Cagedrei
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been using .x mainly. I've had trouble with .dbo files (which may say more about my inexperience than the format).

I've found that an object built in DBP and exported to .dbo will represent the geometry incorrectly when the file is loaded again.

I've found that the programs which export .dbo format (Fragmotion and UV Unwrap) will only export animations in ticks, rather than keyframes, which makes timing an animation developed using keyframes difficult in-game.

I've also had more problems trying to apply bump mapping to .dbo files than to the .x equivalent of the same model.

The only advantage I've noted for .dbo so far is that the files are smaller than text .x files, but I haven't compared file sizes with binary .x.

The .x format is also better documented. As far as I can tell, there's no way to open up a .dbo file and look at the internals, which can be useful if your 3d object has some problem which you need to track down.

Maybe someone will come along and explain the benefits of .dbo to both of us. I don't mean to sound like I'm slamming the format. I probably don't know how to implement it properly.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 00:04
I use the .X format up until I'm ready to put the model into the distrubution package of the game. The DBO format loads faster, and because there really aren't any programs that load DBO format it could be considered a little more secure. (probably not..)

There's a little X to DBO conversion program posted here somewhere that was written in DBPro that seems to work great for the mesh. I doubt it does anything with animations though. That would require a program similar to what you mentioned I guess, or some serious additions to the conversion program to account for animations.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
actually darkbasic pro internally converts X to DBO format on its own, through a built-in command... though I forget if it does it to everything or just through that.

In other words, anyone who gets a GUI FileRequester in their code (DLL or Pluginwise) can make that... I personally only know of the lighting issue earlier... Why not ask in the 3D board which types load better for those guys when testing?

Signed
------
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 18:09
I use .dbo because for what I use them for, the speed saving really does save me a fair bit of time.

As for converting .x to .dbo, what wrong with just loading as a mesh, scaling if necessary, making an object from the mesh and saving that??

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 20:10
That doesn't do anything for animations though.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 22:16
I normally use DBO for the game world, as it's big; so it loads faster. I use .X for pretty much everything else.

bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 22:22
i use csm for the worlds, and dbo for every other model, cause it loads fast

The cake is a LIE!
Xfire = Fotogames
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 16:36
I like .dbo format, but I do think .x has it's abilites. .X format is a popular model format where .dbo is engine specific. .dbo loads faster, than .x so they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 04:14:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 04:14:57